Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Build my own UCA's

Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
BlackHillsTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
BlackHillsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Build my own UCA's

Hey just wondering if anyone thinks about building their own upper control arms as much as I do. Especially everytime they're reminded of the insane price for a pair from Icon, TC, etc.. Anyways, just hit me up with some feedback I guess. Think something like this could be done without getting into really complex bullshit? Nothing's to hard to try , right? 1.25 OD .120 wall steel tubing, uniball joint. Have all the tools, just a matter of doing it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
I will leave it to the professionals.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
I will leave it to the professionals.
Haha! Built not bought my man! It's my code!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the engineering know how, go for it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
If you have the engineering know how, go for it.
Well I've built baskets, lightbars, bumpers, rocksliders. This is just a different game though. I think I ought to give it a go.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHillsTacoma View Post
Well I've built baskets, lightbars, bumpers, rocksliders. This is just a different game though. I think I ought to give it a go.
Very different. You mess it up and it can fail causing a horrific accident. They have to be perfect otherwise the reason of having them (alighnment) will be for not.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

Lol I'm not gonna go romp on a prototype. It won't be dangerous at all. Im pretty sure worst case scenario is my alignments off so I try again..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
if you are confident with your welding i say go for it.
here are the ones i build for my truck.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

NICE! Badass jig setup! You use the stock UCA's to get it set up?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #10

Lol take a lap. Built a lot more complex shit. Just looking for feedback from people with the same skillset.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you could, but i cheated and uses another one to make my jig. lol
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

Lol! I wanna get my hands on some to copy so bad!!!!!!! No one around here has any. Well I know one guy that has some TC ones for his 1st gen. Not really the sort of dude that would allow me to borrow them though. He paid to have them installed.... Yikes.... Lol
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Add about $75 / arm for the 1.0" uniball and high-misalignment spacers. Also gotta source the urethane bushings.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

yea and figure 20 for each uniball cup, 30 for each uniball (cheap ones) 5 bucks per bushing (8 total) uniball slug adapter 20each, misalignment spacers 30 bucks and sure i am missing stuff. when all said and done you arnt saving all that much
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
It gets more spendy if you wish to send the arms out for powdercoating.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #16

I'll just undercoat them myself so that shouldn't be an issue. I've got a buddy that builds like 120,000 dollar rock crawlers with like LS1 motors in them and he sells uniballs and all that good shit at his shop. Said he would give them to me for whatever he pays for them. Either way I'd rather buckle down and be able to say I built those.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
You don't still have that jig do you?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #18

i do but i have to build another set of arms for a friend first.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #19

I'd pay you for it when your done? Or even send it back if you wanted.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
nice! what grade of steel did you use? carbon steel or low alloy?