Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Difference between aal's??

Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Penz83 is on a distinguished road

Penz83's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between aal's??

I'm going to do a lift on my 05 tacoma and just curious as to the differences in aal's for the rear. I was initially looking at the 1.5" progressive aal from icon, now I'm also looking at the 5100 kit from toytec that includes 2" aal. Is there a difference in ride and quality?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penz83 View Post
I'm going to do a lift on my 05 tacoma and just curious as to the differences in aal's for the rear. I was initially looking at the 1.5" progressive aal from icon, now I'm also looking at the 5100 kit from toytec that includes 2" aal. Is there a difference in ride and quality?
Icons is a 3 leaf mini pack where the aal that comes with ToyTec is a single leaf
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
the 3 leaf pack will be much smoother, the single AAL is much more stiff
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #4

Penz83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
the 3 leaf pack will be much smoother, the single AAL is much more stiff
That's what I was thinking. Better ride quality with the icon... Little more cash but probably worth it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
its worth it, for sure. i have the signle AAL and its a pretty jarring ride.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The Icon 3-leaf AAL is smooth and a great choice! Also, Wheeler's makes a similar 3-leaf progressive AAL and an HD version of the 3-leaf progressive AAL for towing and hauling applications.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
So far my Icon AAL has been amazing. I haven't put any weight on it yet though
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
So far my Icon AAL has been amazing. I haven't put any weight on it yet though
I've got TSB leafs with the Icon AAL and the overload left in place and this setup handles weight pretty well. I've had over 1,000 lbs in the bed at one point and it never bottomed out. I've got pushing 300# in the bed all day, every day since I put this setup on plus whatever I carry on the weekends for the home renovation and it's holding up very well.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got TSB leafs with the Icon AAL and the overload left in place and this setup handles weight pretty well. I've had over 1,000 lbs in the bed at one point and it never bottomed out. I've got pushing 300# in the bed all day, every day since I put this setup on plus whatever I carry on the weekends for the home renovation and it's holding up very well.
How high do you sit with that set-up?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pic of your leafs?

I have a single Dakar AAL and it's stiff when there is no load in the bed but then it's smooth with about 150+lbs loads. No squeaks though and had it on for 10 months with no settling.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Icon 3-leaf AAL is smooth and a great choice! Also, Wheeler's makes a similar 3-leaf progressive AAL and an HD version of the 3-leaf progressive AAL for towing and hauling applications.
my wheelers 3-leaf w/the OL leaf has been amazing as well... not sure how much of that is credit to the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, but its still an awesome ride!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #14

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled my Overload spring when I put the Icon in. Mainly because that is what the Icon instructions said to do. But also because I don't constantly have a bunch of weight in the back
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
subbed, good info guys
ditto
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
How high do you sit with that set-up?
I can get hub to fender measurements when I get back out to my truck. I didn't get before and after measurements though. To give you an idea though, with Eibachs on 5100's set at 0 up front, I still have about a factory rake with my shell, plywood platform and tools in the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Pic of your leafs?

I have a single Dakar AAL and it's stiff when there is no load in the bed but then it's smooth with about 150+lbs loads. No squeaks though and had it on for 10 months with no settling.
I'll see what I can do

It might have to wait until the weekend though. It's dark when I leave and when I get home most days. They have a nice arch to them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
my wheelers 3-leaf w/the OL leaf has been amazing as well... not sure how much of that is credit to the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, but its still an awesome ride!
I'm sure the Fox shocks help but the Icon AAL is nice even with my 5100's.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #17

Penz83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I pulled my Overload spring when I put the Icon in. Mainly because that is what the Icon instructions said to do. But also because I don't constantly have a bunch of weight in the back
Thanks for all the great input! I will go with the icon aal, I want the best ride I can get. I'm undecided on weather to leave the ol spring, I do tow a boat and load up tools for jobs here and there. Wouldn't hurt To leave it in... Would be about 2" of lift in rear, and I will have the 5100's set at .85 in front with the eibachs so that's roughly 2.5".
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry it took me so long to respond. My measurements are PS 21-3/4", DS 25" (driveway isn't exactly flat ). I figure I'd average out in the low 23" range.
Here's what my leafs look like after 1 year, 9 months:

For comparison, here's what they looked like last summer:
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #19

Penz83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to respond. My measurements are PS 21-3/4", DS 25" (driveway isn't exactly flat ). I figure I'd average out in the low 23" range.
Here's what my leafs look like after 1 year, 9 months:

For comparison, here's what they looked like last summer:
Looks good. I think I am going to leave in my ol spring as well. Is all the hardware that comes with the icon long enough?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
Poor Impulse Control
KiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronin
KiltedRonin's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I just did the same set up, tsb pack and added the icon aal with the over load in place. With my 700# icons up front at the setting they came with from the factory, I'm almost leveled. Granted I have plate bumpers front and rear and a winch up front also... My truck is pretty heavy.