Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1.5" progressive 3 leaf aal vs 2" single aal

Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
1.5" progressive 3 leaf aal vs 2" single aal

I have a 99 prerunner with saggy 3 leaf rear suspension. I've done a lot of research on TW about this and I think I've settled on billy 5100s up front and pro-comp es3000s in the rear. but I'm still not sure if I should go with the wheelers off road 2" single aal (total ~ $300; barely out of my immediate price range)
or save some more money to buy wheelers 1.5" lift 3 leaf progressive aal (total ~ $400; definitely out of my immediate price range)

so anyone have opinions on these two products, compare/contrast?
which is best equipped to fix my saggy leafs?
should i wait and save up for
3 aal, or just get the single?

i can't afford brand new leafs fyi

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Was reading on this thread the other day, pretty good info. I'd say go with the 3 leaf progressive pack unless you don't mind a stiff ride described by other users/members. I'm currently running the Icons AAL on my 05 and no complaints here.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ween-aals.html
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I mostly wanna know which helps with the sag best and how they hold up over the years. i originally was just gunna get the typical 1 in aal until i saw these 2 in but after seeing the progressive, i'm at a crossroads
Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
junk yard, chevy truck springs , 2 per side, about $100 bucks including centerpins, maybe a little more with new U bolts
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
junk yard, chevy truck springs , 2 per side, about $100 bucks including centerpins, maybe a little more with new U bolts
hmmm i wonder if i could use the u bolts i have on my leafs now (axle wrap mod and leaf helpers)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
hmmm i wonder if i could use the u bolts i have on my leafs now (axle wrap mod and leaf helpers)

Ideally, we should always replace them once they've been removed, that said, I'm not rich (its not like they're real expensive) but even if I was I would find it hard to shitcan some otherwise good Ubolts, it all depends on how much thread stretch there is .. (or maybe if you live in rust belt where you'd have to cut them off )

I've had the same U bolts since day 1 (except for one) & have taken them off at least 15 or 20 times, never hard to tighten or loosen & seem to stay tight after torquing them down
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #7
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
zuk mod!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Most people are fans of progressives, myself included (yet I bitch about them ), let me explain, if a progressive spring is done correctly they're probably the best spring you'll ever ride on, problem is no single manufacturer really does them right, oh they may seem right (anything better than stock right ) but they're just generically configured, not saying they just use random thickness's of thicker-to-thinner springs just saying that its not cost efficient for them to do all the R&D work it takes for vehicle specific applications, I've had 1 progressive leafset custom made for my '72 Dodge Power Wagon from National Spring & it was almost $1000.00 (in 1970 $dollars) A custom true progressive for my 1st gen thru them starts at $1200, already checked into it... thats alot of $$ for springs
assuming i do go with the wheeler's progressive aal, would it be wise to spend the extra 10 or so bucks on the 1mm thicker set? wheelers claims they are custom made for tacomas, doesn't have square edges, etc
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
assuming i do go with the wheeler's progressive aal, would it be wise to spend the extra 10 or so bucks on the 1mm thicker set? wheelers claims they are custom made for tacomas, doesn't have square edges, etc
The only difference between the 2 Wheelers, 3 leaf AAL packs is the one has 1mm thicker 2nd and 3rd leaves. Everything else is the same, they are both made for Tacomas, just the one with thicker leaves will give you slightly higher spring rate.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

t-minus 1 day till my new suspension gets here!!! happy 14th bday to my taco, the shark!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
zuk mod!!!
what????

got my shit the other day, now i gotta install it or get it installed. i think all i lack to do the rear myself are some jack stands and a floor jack and the front i dunno yet

EDIT: got it done!!!!
before

with just the billys in there

after billy struts, wheelers progressive aal and rough country 9000 shocks

rear under view

no more posts for a while from me, im gunna enjoy 666