Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1.5 toytec block or aal

Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Burgess65 is on a distinguished road
Burgess65's Tacoma Gallery
1.5 toytec block or aal

Looking at buying an ome for my 08 prerunner. Have a couple questions, would there be any downsides to getting the 1.5 in block from toytec over the 1.5 inch aal? I am looking for good ride quality and I'm really want to level it out at a full three inches. Also, I was just wanting to confirm that I do not need the differential drop because my prerunner is 4x2. Any responses will be greatly appreciated! Really don't see a whole lot of off-road. Mainly going for looks.
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
No diff to drop, haha. AAL is always greater than a block.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Correction, it's a 2inch aal.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My toytec is a 1.5
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess65 View Post
Looking at buying an ome for my 08 prerunner. Have a couple questions, would there be any downsides to getting the 1.5 in block from toytec over the 1.5 inch aal? I am looking for good ride quality and I'm really want to level it out at a full three inches. Also, I was just wanting to confirm that I do not need the differential drop because my prerunner is 4x2. Any responses will be greatly appreciated! Really don't see a whole lot of off-road. Mainly going for looks.
Thanks!
If just for looks the 1.5 block should be fine. Now itís not the best way to lift the rear and blocks often contribute to axle wrap issues, but at 1.5 you should be fine and the ride will stay pretty much factory.

The AAL will stiffen things up a bit, but in terms of rear lift itís a better approach then the block.

My opinion, forget both and do an Icon multi AAL and get and improved ride and your 1.5" lift. There are also other options out there which are similar to the Icon AAL packs, I believe Wheelers sells and Multi AAL I hear rides good too.

Best of luck
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Yeah I knew that was a dumb question as soon as I posted..
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
My toytec is a 1.5
Yeah. For some reason my phone wasn't showing the 1.5 aal from toytec. I get on my pc and it does. Who knows what the deal was!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
If just for looks the 1.5 block should be fine. Now itís not the best way to lift the rear and blocks often contribute to axle wrap issues, but at 1.5 you should be fine and the ride will stay pretty much factory.

The AAL will stiffen things up a bit, but in terms of rear lift itís a better approach then the block.

My opinion, forget both and do an Icon multi AAL and get and improved ride and your 1.5" lift. There are also other options out there which are similar to the Icon AAL packs, I believe Wheelers sells and Multi AAL I hear rides good too.

Best of luck
I agree with most of this, except for recommending a 1.5 block just for looks, a block will deteriorate the quality of your ride, it will promote axle wrap, so if you want to have the look of an extra inch or two WITH deteriorated ride quality, then a block is the way to go. Since the single aal doesn't cost much more, the benefits far outweigh the cost difference. Benefits being increased load capacity, better flexing, etc.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
the 2" toytec AAL is for the 3 leaf pack, the 1.5" toytec AAL is for the 4 leaf pack
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
the 2" toytec AAL is for the 3 leaf pack, the 1.5" toytec AAL is for the 4 leaf pack
So i should be fine with the 1.5 leaf pack correct? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I've been reading a lot about lifts lately and have decided that i want to do it. Also i plan on running the stock rims until i can get new ones, so spacers are going to be needed correct?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
So i should be fine with the 1.5 leaf pack correct? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I've been reading a lot about lifts lately and have decided that i want to do it. Also i plan on running the stock rims until i can get new ones, so spacers are going to be needed correct?
Only if you change to a wider tire.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
check your leaf springs to see what you have, 3 or 4 leaf pack. you will not need spacers to run stock wheels unless you go with a wider tire.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Awesome, Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Denteen is on a distinguished road
Army:
Denteen's Tacoma Gallery
okay. stupider question. So I lift my '05 4wd Double cab SB 2-2.5", and I WANT the spacers to push the 265 tires out a bit. Not a problem either?? Is that a pretty common thing to do? I'm another "new to lifting" guy...tks D.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I agree with most of this, except for recommending a 1.5 block just for looks, a block will deteriorate the quality of your ride, it will promote axle wrap, so if you want to have the look of an extra inch or two WITH deteriorated ride quality, then a block is the way to go. Since the single aal doesn't cost much more, the benefits far outweigh the cost difference. Benefits being increased load capacity, better flexing, etc.
Lol no. a block will ride just like stock. but it will promote axle wrap a lot.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Bookin is on a distinguished road

Bookin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
Lol no. a block will ride just like stock. but it will promote axle wrap a lot.
I'm running a 1.5" block in the rear. The rear end rides just like stock, as you said. However, the axle wrap issues I had when the suspension was stock have gone away and I no longer experience any axle wrap.