1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front diff vibrating issue

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Clgrytacoguy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Clgrytacoguy

Clgrytacoguy [OP] Member

Member:
    I've recently put a three inch leveling kit in my 08 taco. It's the spacer kit with the diff drop spacers. My front diff started vibrating like mad about three days later after I got my wheel alignment done. Toyota Canada is now blaming it on the lift kit saying that I changed the angle of the cv joints and that "I cant put a lift kit in this truck with out longer cv shafts." Has anyone heard of this or are they trying to screw me like I suspect. Please help

2. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    u can do a 3" w/o extended cv's. as far as the vibe....u might try removing the diff spacer and trying again.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    Clgrytacoguy

Clgrytacoguy [OP] Member

Member:
    I tried taking the diff spacers out and it didn't make a difference. Any other suggestions

4. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Snowboarder has an idea on this. Try loosening your front diff bolts and moveing the diff more inline with the drive shaft. He has some pics that describe it more clearly, send him a PM.

5. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Clgrytacoguy

Clgrytacoguy [OP] Member

Member:
    It's not the main drive shafts though it's the cv shafts. I also noticed that if im in 4 high and I crank the wheels it will slow the truck down and even stop it

6. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thast due to drivetrain bind. When locked in 4 wheel drive, and turning, all the tires are turning at different rates, thus causeing binding, unless you are on a surface that allows the tires to slip.

7. Jan 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    So your truck started vibrating after the alignment, but not before? When does the vibration occur..?

8. Jan 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a vibe coming from my front diff I'm pretty sure. It is most noticeable between 25-40mph. I can feel it on the floor board and pedals. Does it change at all in 4x4? There have been a few people who have got Toyota to replace the front diff on warranty, excessive bearing play was the cause I believe. From what I've read it wasn't easy though.

9. Jan 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Clgrytacoguy

Clgrytacoguy [OP] Member

Member:
    Did changing out the front diff fix the problem? My vib is from 25km-80km/hr. Not sure how I would have excesive bearing wear after 25000 km but I guess it's possible. The problem is they dont want to do anything with the kit installed. I think I'm going to take out the kit to see if it still vibrates or not. The vibe from 25-40 km/hr is apparently the "rear engine insulator" thats what they thought mine was at first. But it's only on automatics and mine is standard so that eliminated that.

10. Jan 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I haven't gotten a new diff yet. They can't make it make the noise when I took it to Toyota. It isn't a worn bearing it is an improperly set-up gear set. I'm pretty sure the guys that got Toyota to warranty the diff made the vibe's go away. The dealership is telling me the same thing with the lift. I'm gonna wait and let it develop a bit and try them again.

Products Discussed in

To Top