Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Towing with a PreRunner TRD New Suspension questions

Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
I'd rather be fishing..
SWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: james
SWCB's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with a PreRunner TRD New Suspension questions

I bought a 2008 tacoma Prerunner TRD DCSB V6 last month and live on the gulf coast. Fishing and towing boats is a big part of life down here and I own and regularly tow a 21 ft palm beach w/ 150 Yamaha outboard the setup weighs close or a litte more than 4 thousand pounds. After doing some research I Have decided to revamp the suspension here is what I have in mind (spare no expense) I would like to level out the truck with some new coilover shocks/struts as well as new shocks and leafs in the back. I want the best ride possible and not much sag when towing the boat but not be to stiff as this truck is my DD as well. which combo of any listed below would be best for my setup
• Coil Overs up front - (Icon, Fox, King, Race-runner)
• New UCA's - (Camburg, Total Chaos, Icon, All Pro)
• Rear leaf pack - (All Pro, Deaver, Alcan, OME)
• Rear shocks - (preferably the same as the front)
I will not be putting any larger tires than the 265/70/16 on the truck
Truck will be a street queen
Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should consider the Firestone ride rite air bags for your hauling / towing needs. I think you would be much happier running them with any suspention set up you choose.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
I'd rather be fishing..
SWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SWCB's Tacoma Gallery
I would like the truck to be level though as well and with a nice suspension set up that is better and more functional than stock. OME or a all Fox set up. I have read alot but have no personal expericance or enver even seen a truck with either set up but i know both companies make quality products. The thing with air bags would be the situation with need for a compressor and having to run to the gas station to adjust the bags would be difficult appreciate your advice but I think I would thoroughly enjoy a top notch system
Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Sparing no expense you could go full OME kit from wheelers off road
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
My advice would be don't get caught up in the name brands just because they are a 'top notch setup'. Unless you have a need for that level of performance, you won't get the benefits of paying the high initial price tag. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome setups but, since you mentioned that your truck will be a street queen, an OME or Bilstein shock will more than suit your needs.

As far as the rear suspension goes, I would put in a second vote for the air bag setup if you're not looking to lift but want the variable load capacity. Ride rite makes a setup that has a pump with the kit that you can even control from the cab. The huge benefit of this system, in my opinion, is that you can enjoy a stock ride when unloaded and adjust your suspension to the higher load when you need to all while maintaining the stock ride height.

For the front, something like 5100's with Eibach coils or 883 OME coils, OME Nitrochargers with 883's would be a good option that would give you just over about 1.5" of lift.

How much lift do you want out of this whole setup when all is said and done? You won't need new UCA's under about 2" of lift and going over 2" of lift and keeping stock sized tires might look a little odd (opinion of course).
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
I'd rather be fishing..

SWCB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
My advice would be don't get caught up in the name brands just because they are a 'top notch setup'. Unless you have a need for that level of performance, you won't get the benefits of paying the high initial price tag. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome setups but, since you mentioned that your truck will be a street queen, an OME or Bilstein shock will more than suit your needs.

As far as the rear suspension goes, I would put in a second vote for the air bag setup if you're not looking to lift but want the variable load capacity. Ride rite makes a setup that has a pump with the kit that you can even control from the cab. The huge benefit of this system, in my opinion, is that you can enjoy a stock ride when unloaded and adjust your suspension to the higher load when you need to all while maintaining the stock ride height.

For the front, something like 5100's with Eibach coils or 883 OME coils, OME Nitrochargers with 883's would be a good option that would give you just over about 1.5" of lift.

How much lift do you want out of this whole setup when all is said and done? You won't need new UCA's under about 2" of lift and going over 2" of lift and keeping stock sized tires might look a little odd (opinion of course).
Pugga appreatiate the input. It's gonna be "95%" street queen, still use the truck at the hunting camp just not be going muddin for the fun of it. Dont want to scratch up a truck that i consider new (50,000 miles)

That being said I have heard that I can put 33's with a 3in OME kit with 885 springs (just remove the mud flaps which I did the day I brought her home) Yea I don't want the tires to look goofy I seen a guy have six inches of lift with 32's on a ford and gave him hell for it would be hypercritical. Being able to adjust the rear from the cab would be SWEET!

I just want to make sure I do everything right dont want a Mud truck, just level it out.But in doing so make it a little more offroad worthy but keep the street driveablity that it has