Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

icon CDC coilovers.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Direct Representative
ICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Any updates on the Dyno sheets?
Yes we are working on the full release to come out in the next week or two. They are also working on creating the dyno sheet as requested in a understandable view. I am waiting on engineering to provide it to me, then I will get it posted.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Next step.....remote adjustability. Put the knobs IN the vehicle. Now that would be sick.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Next step.....remote adjustability. Put the knobs IN the vehicle. Now that would be sick.
That's been an aftermarket option for cars for several years. I know it'd appeal to some people, but I'd be fine with a manually operated valve at the reservoir. Seems like it'd be more reliable than having electric motors involved; the Tacoma already has enough of those in the dirt.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Direct Representative
ICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
That would be awesome, but I am afraid the price tag would likely be out of range in general. Never know though!!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's coming. I don't want Rancho anything on my truck, but eventually, this tech will move through the industry.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Direct Representative

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
It's coming. I don't want Rancho anything on my truck, but eventually, this tech will move through the industry.
It's a much bigger can of worms in this caliber shock....wish it was that easy.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #27
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
It's a much bigger can of worms in this caliber shock....wish it was that easy.
I'm sure it is. I'm also sure Icon could do it right now, but not at a marketable price. It's easy to dream up stuff, more difficult to actually make it work, and sometimes, impossible to sell it at a profit.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
ICONRep, with all due respect, for any of us that are TRULY interested in viewing dyno sheets, I'm not concerned about them being in and "understandable view".

Shock dyno sheets are not difficult to read IF you know what you're reading and if you don't, well, then it won't matter what "understandable view" you put them in. It will just be a bunch of lines and numbers on a piece of paper.

These are take apart shocks so there really is NOTHING secretive or proprietary about them as anyone with the right equipment and access to a shock dyno, can/could know everything about them in less than an hour.

Shocks and everything about them, among racers, are VERY secretive and is highly guarded information. But, racers aren't selling their shocks to the public because they know once they do, their secrets will no longer be a secret.

Again, with all due respect, I'm quite certain ICON's shock valving is relatively basic. I'm guessing ICON, as well as most of the others, are using either Linear/Digressive or Digressive/Digressive pistons.

I'm guessing they use either the force vs velocity graph or quadrant style graph. Force vs velocity is probably the most popular and easiest to help people understand but the quadrant graph gives you a lot more information.

This should be easy stuff, so get a print out and post it then let us worry about how understandable it is.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
This should be easy stuff, so get a print out and post it then let us worry about how understandable it is.
The man has a point.

That said, ICONrep can only do what ICONrep is told to do with the information ICONrep has been provided. It could be that testing is ongoing or just completed, and the testing folks are still sorting it out for themselves. Better to provide correct data a little later than have to issue corrections after something incorrect was released.

Still, the sooner the better. I'm sure a lot of people are planning upgrades and want to have them installed before the weather improves.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #30
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed. You can only print what your given and I have NO issue with ICONRep at all.

To your point, shocks at this level, that being consumer level, are pretty basic and straight forward. They have to be because they have to try and cover a very broad range. Nothing about these shocks are etched in stone. They find that a different valve stack, piston, preload on the stack, etc. etc. works better, these things can all be changed and revalved.

Only real reason I want to even see their dyno sheet is that I'm curious what their numbers are.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
"Shocks and everything about them, among racers, are VERY secretive and is highly guarded information. But, racers aren't selling their shocks to the public because they know once they do, their secrets will no longer be a secret."

Maybe they feel this way about their shocks and want to protect what info they let out!

I do agree it would be great to see results!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
"Shocks and everything about them, among racers, are VERY secretive and is highly guarded information. But, racers aren't selling their shocks to the public because they know once they do, their secrets will no longer be a secret."

Maybe they feel this way about their shocks and want to protect what info they let out!
I think B11 covered that well in the same post.

Sonny at DSM will be revalving some FJ shocks for me next week, and I know consumers can do the work themselves. No secrets on the mass market end, since a competing company can just buy any shock they want and beat on it to their heart's content. There may be secrets in design and production, but the end result is available to anyone with a credit card.

I suspect part of the reason racers keep secrets is also because they want to keep the competition from knowing exactly how they have everything set up. Even if most of those ideas are common knowledge, knowing exactly what the other guy is doing gives you an idea of their strengths and weaknesses, and how best to exploit them.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you missed this part earlier but like I said before they sell shocks to the public and if anyone thought what they had was "special" their competitors could/would buy their shocks, dyno them then take them apart and know everything they ever wanted to know. Really, it would be that easy.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #34
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Maybe you missed this part earlier but like I said before they sell shocks to the public and if anyone thought what they had was "special" their competitors could/would buy their shocks, dyno them then take them apart and know everything they ever wanted to know. Really, it would be that easy.
Agreed. That's done in countless industries. I doubt this one is excluded.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
Direct Representative

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Guys you are going the wrong direction w/ this......There is nothing secret we are worried about and or anyone finding out about anything. I am the Sales and Marketing Manager and do not run the shock dyno nor build shocks. We have very qualified people that do this, and I have the request in to get this information. Unfortunately we have a lot going on, and your going to have to be patient for me. They will get it to me as soon as they can, and I promise I will bring it strait to you. Keep in mind the graphing is useless if there is nothing to compare it to, so I have asked they show our standard valving vs. the CDC valve installed and the different levels of tuning adjustment it offers.

As far as the piston design..... off road race shocks use a Linear / Linear design and ICON uses a Linear / Digressive design in our V.S. Series line of shocks

I appreciate your understanding and know I am on here to help educate you, along with answer questions you have. Involvement with the consumer is what drives this brand and we want you to know we truly listen and appreciate any and all your feedback.

Brad
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
B11's Tacoma Gallery
And I would imagine they use a linear/digressive because the digressive side will make the ride better.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
B11's Tacoma Gallery
DoorDing, yes, in circle track racing, shocks, are everything and are VERY critical.

Most everyone runs, within reason, the same or similar springs and bar but the shock packages will vary greatly!!!

Since circle track racing is on a closed course, shocks are used to manipulate and control sooooooo many aspects of a race car.

I'm sure off road racing shocks are very important too but I doubt they have the need for extreme rebound like circle track shocks. Just like circle track guys don't use nearly the amount of compression off road racers use.

Also, the slow speed numbers, 0-6in. per. sec., are far more important in circle track racing whereas the off road racing shock techs are more interested in, and I'm just guessing here, 15in. per sec. #'s.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
Direct Representative

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And I would imagine they use a linear/digressive because the digressive side will make the ride better.
One good feature about being digressive on the rebound side is the low speed control which comes into play during street driving much of the time.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #39
B11's Tacoma Gallery
That's because you can valve it so the shock has a lot of "nose" to control the slow speed but the #'s don't ramp up as shaft speed increases.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
Backdoor Commentator

ICONrep, we're just exploring a side topic. I figured you wouldn't mind, since it bumps the thread and generates more exposure for CDC without much effort from you.

While I'm thinking of it, do you know how ICON's CDC will compare with Fox's CD Adjuster?
Quote:
DoorDing, yes, in circle track racing, shocks, are everything and are VERY critical.

Most everyone runs, within reason, the same or similar springs and bar but the shock packages will vary greatly!!!

Since circle track racing is on a closed course, shocks are used to manipulate and control sooooooo many aspects of a race car.

I'm sure off road racing shocks are very important too but I doubt they have the need for extreme rebound like circle track shocks. Just like circle track guys don't use nearly the amount of compression off road racers use.

Also, the slow speed numbers, 0-6in. per. sec., are far more important in circle track racing whereas the off road racing shock techs are more interested in, and I'm just guessing here, 15in. per sec. #'s.
WRC has to be one of the more demanding series for shocks, too. I'm still pissed that my cable company dropped it.