Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

leaf spring center bolt torque

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
gonna be a long ride
09sr5 is on a distinguished road

09sr5's Tacoma Gallery
leaf spring center bolt torque

Does anyone know it off hand? Fixing to start on my aal. Its an 09 model. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
No torque spec just tight. Look at chris4x4's write up and there are specs there except for that bolt.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Usually that is about a 3/8" diameter bolt, but hardened and threaded all the way through. I would say about 50-60ft/lb. NO antiseize since removal will probably require grinding or torching.

Or in laymans terms, two grunts and a fart. You want it tight enough to compress all the leaves together firmly, with just a little stretch. The nut will strip long before the bolt does.

A couple of C-Clamps often helps it get started and remember, cut off the excess with a hacksaw or abrasive wheel, careful not to take the temper out of it.

I have been building spring packs for decades.

Howard
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
gonna be a long ride
09sr5 is on a distinguished road

09sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Alright thanks guys
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
German spec: Gooodntight
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
The stock bolt is only around 55 ft/lbs...
but I have had those come loose over time
during severe duty when flexing things out off road.
If the center bolt comes loose... the individual leaves could possibly fan out.

Sooo... I replaced mine with a grade 8 cap bolt/nut
and torqued that down to around 75 ft/lbs.

It's been several years now...
and nothing has worked loose, malformed or broke

* I recommend red locktite when installing.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
The stock bolt is only around 55 ft/lbs...
but I have had those come loose over time
during severe duty when flexing things out off road.
If the center bolt comes loose... the individual leaves could possibly fan out.

Sooo... I replaced mine with a grade 8 cap bolt/nut
and torqued that down to around 75 ft/lbs.

It's been several years now...
and nothing has worked loose, malformed or broke

* I recommend red locktite when installing.
Yep , had that happen before I try to use either a rated nylock or I'll tighten down & back it up w/nut (dbl nut)