LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ball joint f-up

Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
ball joint f-up

09 4cyl 2wd taco ::::::::::: i tore my upper ball joint boot yester putin in a 2.75" lift. the ball joint is in good shape and i have no wish of replacing it if i dont have to. Q. is ther a boot replacement for this even a universal kit ? Q. and if i must replace the balljoint does it have to be pressed in ? its got da 5 lug wheels. your input is appreciated.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CIVILIAN/ E-5
Name: Jess
jmarquez808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotruck 2.7 View Post
09 4cyl 2wd taco ::::::::::: i tore my upper ball joint boot yester putin in a 2.75" lift. the ball joint is in good shape and i have no wish of replacing it if i dont have to. Q. is ther a boot replacement for this even a universal kit ? Q. and if i must replace the balljoint does it have to be pressed in ? its got da 5 lug wheels. your input is appreciated.
Id replace it because if the boot is torn your going to get all kind of dirt in there especially since your going off road! Just buy some moogs(brand naME) from i believe rockauto.com AND JUST FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE STOCK BALL JOINTS AND PRESSING THEM INTO THE UPPER CONTROL ARMS. ITS A BITCH ID HAVE THEM PRESSED ON A REAL SHOP PRESS RATHER THEN THAT BALL JOINT DO IT YOURSELF TOOL. LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS ARE EVEN HARDER. SAVE YOURSELF THE SWEAT AND TEARS AND HAVE THEM PRESSED ON A HYDRAULIC PRESS LOL. I SAY REPLACE IT NOW AND SAVE YOURSELF THE JOB LATER THEN YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY. OH AND SORRY FOR THE CAPS JUST NOTICED IT, GOT FAT FINGERS FROM PRESSING IN STUBBORN BALL JOINTS HA HA HA
Old 12-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotruck 2.7 View Post

Get an old accordion boot off of a 5100 billy (or even some innertube & wrap it like a band aid which in essence it is).. use some thin tie wire or a split zip tie to hold together, carry on..

I did a couple short videos on ball joint R&R, anyway you can do it without a press, not advised but you can beat them in & out, always better with a press, make sure to take out "C" clips high/low
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Rent a ball joint press from autozone and do it right. Replace them in pairs, always. It will take quite a bit of force for the joint to come loose, and it will come apart quite forcefully.
The coil over will have to be removed to make room for the press, and the sway bar needs to be disconnected to remove the coil over.
You're looking at 2.5 hours total, depending on your skills.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

thanks for your help guys. much appreciated. however if i havent driven the truck since i tore it as to allow dirt /trash in it whats so bad about replacing jus the boot given i can probably get another 30-40 k miles out of the balljoint . its a road driven truck and the lift was jus for looks as i could not afford a sr5 or prerunner but i liked their profile.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of stock balljoints with 30,000 miles on them. Just replaced the UCAs and balljoints with aftermarket. Interested in buying mine?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I have a set of stock balljoints with 30,000 miles on them. Just replaced the UCAs and balljoints with aftermarket. Interested in buying mine?
Just found out I might have a bad ball joint. Getting it checked on now. If so, I might be interested if OP doesn't want them first
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Just found out I might have a bad ball joint. Getting it checked on now. If so, I might be interested if OP doesn't want them first
He hasnt contacted me. PM if your interested