Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's vs stock sport shocks ride comparison

Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
5100's vs stock sport shocks ride comparison

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on at least the front 5100's to level my truck soon. I'm torn between .85 and 1.75 with tsb, aal, or even a 1" block. I'm not an avid wheeler. I want to keep the ride as smooth as possible while achieving the look I want of leveling and even a slight lift (1.75). My wife already says my truck rides too ruff for her liking. I think it rides great for a truck personally. I'm ok with a little more stiffness of a ride but don't want it too harsh and want to keep the wife happy also.

I've read how people say 5100's ride better than stock. I've read that some chose to stay at .85 to avoid the stiffer ride. I've read that at .85 and 5100's all the way around it rides better. I've even read that it still does with a tsb or aal and 5100's. I've read that some where not happy after the rear leaf tsb, that it's too rough a ride.

My question is how much rougher/stiffer a ride should I expect at .85 stock rear? And 1.75 with the tsb or aal?

I know I'll probably get many opinions but I just want to ask so I can try to take it in as a whole to help me decide plus maybe other readers can use this thread to help also.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Don't preload springs just for looks.

Your wife is right.
5100's without preloaded springs is pretty good, or so I thought until I got some real springs (Dakars)...now it rides fantastic.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Putting any pre-load on coils=rougher ride. 5100's are a vast improvement over stock shocks. IMO putting a little pre-load on them is ok, they are still better then stock even with some pre-load. With that said 5100's set@1.75 was more firm than stock but In a good way. The rear spring tsb is not going to improve the comfort, it will provide a small amount of lift 1" +- but it's more for improved load carrying and towing. For the rear I would get a progressive aal to achieve lift.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I am one that that likes to do things the right way. With that said, I can't afford new coils or a full out lift. And I think 5100's at 1.75 would be perfect for what I want. I may be happy at .85 but I have played with the floor jack and tape measure and really liked the look at about 1 3/4" if that is indeed what 1.75 equals out to. I just don't want to spend the $ for install at .85 and want to go up one more notch.

As far as the rear I know I can do a 1" block for cheap. But there is where i'm torn. I would like to do the aal/tsb but I know that will stiffen it up. So I'm thinking doing a block, even though I know I'll get flamed on here for that. I just don't think a 1" block on the rear will hurt myself. I mean back in the day people used to run 4" and up on the rear. But I'm more trying to get an idea if I'll like the fronts at 1.75.

I got some money for Christmas and have about enough to do the fronts, just maybe not for install. So anyway I'm trying to decide. But I have time for that. Can't order them until Jan. 2nd on DSM anyway.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I am one that that likes to do things the right way. With that said, I can't afford new coils or a full out lift. And I think 5100's at 1.75 would be perfect for what I want. I may be happy at .85 but I have played with the floor jack and tape measure and really liked the look at about 1 3/4" if that is indeed what 1.75 equals out to. I just don't want to spend the $ for install at .85 and want to go up one more notch.

As far as the rear I know I can do a 1" block for cheap. But there is where i'm torn. I would like to do the aal/tsb but I know that will stiffen it up. So I'm thinking doing a block, even though I know I'll get flamed on here for that. I just don't think a 1" block on the rear will hurt myself. I mean back in the day people used to run 4" and up on the rear. But I'm more trying to get an idea if I'll like the fronts at 1.75.

I got some money for Christmas and have about enough to do the fronts, just maybe not for install. So anyway I'm trying to decide. But I have time for that. Can't order them until Jan. 2nd on DSM anyway.
Adding a 1" block will be fine. I've been running them w/tsb pack and have no complaints.

My first setup was 5100's at 1.75(yes it's 1 3/4") and tsb pack. Personally I didn't mind the stiffer ride w/tsb but the 5100's may have helped.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Here's some pics of my truck playing with the floor jack. Couldn't get the whole truck in since I was in the garage.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
The White Knight
Eagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant future

Name: AJ
Eagledynasty's Tacoma Gallery
Go 1.75" and keep the rear stock for now. If you don't throw a ton of crap in the bed you'll love it and it'll be level. If not add a 1" block. But I doubt you will want it. Im 1.75" in the front and love it. About to go higher 3.5" front and 2" rear.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
When I got my 5100's I wanted to figure out the correct level setting; as regardless of measurements, the front and back fender are shaped differently. So I had to check a truck that I knew was level. My boss' 2005, 5 lug came level stock. No fender flares, but that doesn't change the math. Going from center of hub to bottom of fender he had 50 cm (19.7") in the rear and 46 cm (18") up front.

So all things being equal, there should be 1.7 inches of difference between the front and back in a level truck. So using my own past measurements of 20" up front and 22.5" in the rear, 1.75" would set me at dead near 100% level. This however won't take into account weight in the back, etc, so I went with the .85 setting.

I also hear some say that the Off Road progressive coils don't offer as smooth a ride as the SR5/Sport linear coils. The OR coils do ride different even with the stock shock, but with just the .85 setting on the Billies, I am happy with the results.

Getting the Billies on all four corners is the key to a firmer ride. For a truck with no rear sway bar, you can really notice the difference in cornering and highway ramps.

Hope this helps.

Frank