Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do I need a diff drop kit?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
thedahl is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
thedahl's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need a diff drop kit?

I am about to install my 5100's on my 2012 DCLB TRD set at 1.75 and I'm wondering if I need to purchase and install a diff drop kit. I have done a ton of reading on this site and many others but I cannot find a definitive answer. The biggest answer I found was that anything over 3" you need the drop kit. Is this accurate? I just want to ensure I'm doing the right thing. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
DSYLEXC is on a distinguished road
DSYLEXC's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed a Icon Stage 4 suspension on my 2012 and it gave me between 2 1/2 - 3" of lift, no diff drop, and no issues at all. No vibrations.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If the fins on your CV boots aren't touching (they shouldn't at 1.75" lift), then no action needed.

If the fins are touching, simply undo the clamp, slide the boot further down the shaft to space out the fins, then re-tighten the clamp.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Firefighter:
thedahl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks OZ-T. To be perfectly honest my truck is pretty much a pavement princess (hurts to say that, but it's true haha) so this would be pretty extreme for me to encounter. Great information though...no diff drop for me!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Firefighter:
thedahl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYLEXC View Post
Just installed a Icon Stage 4 suspension on my 2012 and it gave me between 2 1/2 - 3" of lift, no diff drop, and no issues at all. No vibrations.
That's what I wanna hear...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If the fins on your CV boots aren't touching (they shouldn't at 1.75" lift), then no action needed.

If the fins are touching, simply undo the clamp, slide the boot further down the shaft to space out the fins, then re-tighten the clamp.
Ya, I don't think that they'll be touching at only 1.75 so I think I'll be in the clear. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
CajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
CajunBug73's Tacoma Gallery
Wassup bud!
I just got a 1.75 lift with Bilstein 5100's and 1 1/4 increase in rear. Got them done on Jan, 5, 2013. I get a very slight vib from the front; not sure what the fins are on the CV boots (very new to these things), could use some great advice! Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you look under your truck, look where the wheel connects to the truck, there should be a shaft there that connects your wheel to the differential. Where the shaft connects to the diff, there is a black rubber boot. You cant miss it.
The fins are the folds in the boot, if they are touching anywhere while on flat ground then that means that they are rubbing.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
CajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCajunBug73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks my man....just checked under the front end and from what I can see, none of the fins are touching at all. Judging by your photo with the bottom of your boot, my fins are a lil bit farther apart on the bottom, so there almost equel distance on the top and bottom, so that should be fine and no need for diff drop? Thanks in advance. (thank god they are tacos)...love em!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBug73 View Post
Thanks my man....just checked under the front end and from what I can see, none of the fins are touching at all. Judging by your photo with the bottom of your boot, my fins are a lil bit farther apart on the bottom, so there almost equel distance on the top and bottom, so that should be fine and no need for diff drop? Thanks in advance. (thank god they are tacos)...love em!
what happened?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
That pic is actually just from google images haha I was too lazy to go take a pic of my piece of junk. But it's the pretty much the same on our trucks.

I would say, that if your boots are not rubbing while on regular ground, you probably don't need a diff drop, however, that being said. Less CV angle is always better but if you don't want to spend the extra cash I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I never put one in my 2.75" front spacer.