Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Block pictures

Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
vette6991 will become famous soon enough

vette6991's Tacoma Gallery
Block pictures

I know there are safe blocks/spacers that don't compress the coil and wanted to see some pictures.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone will rip you on blocks here... Just go 5100's...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Please do not do blocks or spacers i did on my truck and every day i regret doing it. Do it right the first time and you will have no regrets.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
vette6991 will become famous soon enough

vette6991's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend that does as much offroading as me and pulls a camper and he has had blocks and spacers for the past 8 years.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6991 View Post
I have a friend that does as much offroading as me and pulls a camper and he has had blocks and spacers for the past 8 years.
Then get blocks.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Are you going to tell me that stacking 2 possibly 3 blocks together is safe?? , you won't even make it to ride comfort , the only thing that gives a lifted vehicle safety & control is done thru suspension, you go sticking a truck in the air on blocks & spacers alone coupled with a soft stock suspension, someone's going to flop over somewhere...

If your just going to "mall it (& theres plenty that do & nothing wrong with that either) It won't be an issue
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Big Dustin will become famous soon enough

Name: Dustin
Big Dustin's Tacoma Gallery
Thats weird everyone cries about blocks/spacers.

My work truck has a coil spacer in the front, and a block with AAL's in the rear. It sees 50-100 miles of off road driving every single day. It is a 2012 F250 super duty that weighs over 10k pounds with tools. No problems at all.

These heavy Tacomas must be what causes all the problems...
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dustin View Post
Thats weird everyone cries about blocks/spacers.

My work truck has a coil spacer in the front, and a block with AAL's in the rear. It sees 50-100 miles of off road driving every single day. It is a 2012 F250 super duty that weighs over 10k pounds with tools. No problems at all.

These heavy Tacomas must be what causes all the problems...
My view on it is you spent all this money on your truck and to "do it right" doesnt cost that much more compared to spacers so why not just do it right the first time.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Quote:
Doesnt mean it rides better than someone who "did it right"
Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

I will start this off by saying that my Tacoma has 5100's in the front, and a Toytec AAL out back. I am not trying to justify, nor make myself feel better about my current situation. On the Tacomas, the 5100's cost the same as a spacer, but are a much better shock than the factory Bilsteins. That is a no brainer. Also, stacking blocks is a big no-no.

In general however, I have to disagree with the "do it right" mantra. If it is a part that is designed for that specific vehicle, and is from a reputable manufacturer, its not like you are making your vehicle unsafe. There are many trucks that come from the factory with a block in the back. I am talking about heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, that are designed to tow 5 tons. Not a mid sized truck that will see light offroading.

People on this forum have spread propaghanda about blocks and spacers being the devil, and now that so many people have bought into those ideas, it is an automatic no-no. If you go to other forums, it is the opposite. Everyone gets a leveling spacer, and it is no big deal.

Again, for the price, I couldn't go wrong choosing my current setup on my Tacoma. The 5100 series shocks are great. The AAL helps support the extra weight from my camper, and anything else I haul. I would just like people to acknowledge that just because someone wants a spacer, or a block doesnt make them stupid. And it certainly doesnt mean they are cutting any corners, or making their vehicle less road worthy. Our work trucks get ABUSED everysingle day, and none of us have ever had a problem with a spacer or block, because we buy good products, and have them installed properly.

/rant
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
You know what I see on other forums?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I was always under the impression that rear blocks are not recommended simply because of the increased susceptibility to axel wrap on our trucks.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Quote:
I will start this off by saying that my Tacoma has 5100's in the front, and a Toytec AAL out back. I am not trying to justify, nor make myself feel better about my current situation. On the Tacomas, the 5100's cost the same as a spacer, but are a much better shock than the factory Bilsteins. That is a no brainer. Also, stacking blocks is a big no-no.

In general however, I have to disagree with the "do it right" mantra. If it is a part that is designed for that specific vehicle, and is from a reputable manufacturer, its not like you are making your vehicle unsafe. There are many trucks that come from the factory with a block in the back. I am talking about heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, that are designed to tow 5 tons. Not a mid sized truck that will see light offroading.

People on this forum have spread propaghanda about blocks and spacers being the devil, and now that so many people have bought into those ideas, it is an automatic no-no. If you go to other forums, it is the opposite. Everyone gets a leveling spacer, and it is no big deal.

Again, for the price, I couldn't go wrong choosing my current setup on my Tacoma. The 5100 series shocks are great. The AAL helps support the extra weight from my camper, and anything else I haul. I would just like people to acknowledge that just because someone wants a spacer, or a block doesnt make them stupid. And it certainly doesnt mean they are cutting any corners, or making their vehicle less road worthy. Our work trucks get ABUSED everysingle day, and none of us have ever had a problem with a spacer or block, because we buy good products, and have them installed properly.

/rant
Hey i am runnning spacers and ran blocks in the rear when i first did it. I am just saying it from experience that the ride quality is lessened by the use of blocks. they are good and bad for some people depends on the kind of off roading or mall crawling a person does.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
DILIGAF
06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Name: luis
06sr5prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

/rant
you make a good point, however what i have learned in this forum people would rather UPGRADE suspension rather than stick blocks or spacers in their suspension. IMO
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
You know what I see on other forums?
Why are you posing a question, instead of stating it. If you want to ask questions, start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
I was always under the impression that rear blocks are not recommended simply because of the increased susceptibility to axel wrap on our trucks.
This is a big problem mainly when using subpar materials, blocks that are too large, or stacking them. If you want to run a 1" or 2" block, that fits the leaf pack and axle properly you shouldn't see any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
Hey i am runnning spacers and ran blocks in the rear when i first did it. I am just saying it from experience that the ride quality is lessened by the use of blocks. they are good and bad for some people depends on the kind of off roading or mall crawling a person does.
How was the ride quality lessened? I could see some axle wrap issues, but how would it degrade the ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06sr5prerunner View Post
you make a good point, however what i have learned in this forum people would rather UPGRADE suspension rather than stick blocks or spacers in their suspension. IMO
That depends on the person. If you want a taller tire, but dont need a King coilover, it is a cost effective option. If you are going to run the desert at 50 mph, then yeah, an upgrade is needed. How many people on here actually need that much of an upgraded suspension? Like I said, I love my 5100's. They are a great shock, and the price is great. However, some people dont want to preload their coil springs, giving a rougher ride for what may be a highway truck. That is why there are other options.

Bashing an option, just because you wouldnt reccomend it doesnt make sense to me. I feel like I am in the Church of Tacoma, pressuring people to do what you think is a good idea, just because its what you know, or because its what someone else said is the right thing. For all anyone knows, they guy who said spacers suck could be a 13 year old who cant drive. For that matter, people that have had problems could have had a spacer, and been treating it like a $2000 set of coilovers.

Choose what fits your needs for what you will do. If the OP has friends using a similar option, and is not having issues, then dont bash him for it. It just may work for his purpose.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
There's also people who have seen leafs break because of the blocks allowing stock leaf packs to go into negative arch, and broken suspension parts because of spacers. I've even seen body lift pucks nearly wear holes into cabs

it's kinda subjective, but in general people hear all the bad stuff about the cheapest lifts possible, and spread the "bad" around. There's lots of people that run them with no problem, but whereas a "good" lift has a (making up a number) 3% chance of causing a part failure, "cheap" lifts, like blocks and spacers, have an exponentially higher chance of causing failure/wear to suspension components.

our stock suspensions were not designed to handle spacers inserted into the coil/strut assembly, or blocks under the leaf packs.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Why do people associate lift blocks with "doing it wrong" when like Dustin mentioned, some vehicles come from the factory with them? Does an aal not change the shape of your factory leafs yet a block just lifts them to sit on a perch the exact same diameter as on the axle, leaving the leafs in the original stock form? I have read more about people having issues with an aal then lift blocks when it comes to ride quality. I personally have 1" blocks and the ride is exactly like stock. I can see where there would be a consern when you start getting up in the 3"+ sized blocks but if someone wants a simple 1" block for leveling, I haven't found one person on the interweb that has had an issue with that, and the people that have had issues with blocks, regular maintenance was questionable. I'm only speaking from my experience and that could change in time, but so far from that and what I have read, all the hype about blocks being bad seems to be hearsay. It seems for every person that says they are bad with no proof, there is someone that actually has personal experience with blocks saying they have no issues.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Big Dustin, do you have any lift on the rear? I'm about to pull the trigger on 5100's. I want to do 1.75 and am undecided on the rear. Going to try for the tsb first and go from there. Was considering a 1" block on the rear to keep it cheaper and keep a softer ride. I want it level, or at least not nose high.

I'm still kinda undecided though, how is the ride at 1.75? May just stay at .85 if they don't approve the tsb and leave the rear alone. Wanting the look w/o sacrificing the ride too much.