Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV's Vs U joints

Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
CV's Vs U joints

I did some searching on here and can't find a real straight answer to this question.. also wasn't quite sure where to post this but suspension is my closest guess since we don't have a driveline section.

I have a small idea on why cv's are used instead of U Joints, but maybe you guys could clear this up for me.

I know that CV's can be used at higher angles more effectively than U joints.. my question is, why? and is one stronger than the other? Why don't we just use U joints for everything.. cheaper, easier to maintain, etc.

Whats the big difference here?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you're looking for a highly technical answer or just some more basic information, but both can be easily found on the web.

This gives a good answer as to why we don't use U joints on IFS axles and says it better than I could:

http://www.midaslink.com/east/qcv002.htm

Either could be designed to be stronger than the other. Like you said, it's cheaper to build something with U-joints, especially for strength and when used at relatively small angles. You could also build a CV joint that's stronger than that U-joint, but that's all a moot point since the U joint can't operate at the angles we need. Imagine your front tire at full droop and turned fully in one direction, while transmitting torque. Not gonna happen with a U joint. Full turns under power are hard on straight axle rigs with U joints that don't have to deal with the up and down angles. That's why heavy duty axle replacements for them use CV joints too.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
That link was actually super informative haha thanks!