Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Small lift on SR5 - Have I missed anything?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Small lift on SR5 - Have I missed anything?

I have a 2007 SR5 4x4 with the 4 leaf rear, running stock SR5 rims with Hankook Dynapro 265/75/16. I'd like to do a small lift because my front springs seem to be sagging a bit. 2 inches would be perfect and don't like the idea of blocks etc.

On my list so far:

Bilstein 5100 adjust. front shocks
Front shock bushing washer kit
884 coils
1/4 inch top plate spacer
1.5 inch AAL from toytec

I had my shocks replaced under warranty at around 160k, I now have 195k. Are the rear shocks good enough to accomodate a small lift? Or will I have to get new rears aswell.

The only off roading we do is to get to our fishing spots or to go hunting, nothing crazy.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Since you want just a small lift you could save money and just adjust your 5100's with the stock springs instead of getting the 884's. If you dont go with bigger tires you shouldnt need new UCA's. You should also be able to get away with your stock brake lines.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
That trim packer is to correct the lean right? So if I'm using the bilsteins will it have the lean or will I just have to deal with it?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
That trim packer is to correct the lean right? So if I'm using the bilsteins will it have the lean or will I just have to deal with it?
It will still have the lean but I dont see why you couldnt use the trimmer pack with the 5100's? I could be wrong though.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
It will still have the lean but I dont see why you couldnt use the trimmer pack with the 5100's? I could be wrong though.
The OME trim packer only works with OME shocks

OP , add a 1/4" top plate spacer to the driver's side
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Since you want just a small lift you could save money and just adjust your 5100's with the stock springs instead of getting the 884's. If you dont go with bigger tires you shouldnt need new UCA's. You should also be able to get away with your stock brake lines.
That is a good idea, I've read that setting the bilsteins at 2.5 would produce a harsh ride and I was worried with them set at 1.75 it would still have a huge rake. I don't mind if the truck has a little rake, I'd prefer that over the front looking higher than the rear.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is what I've gone back and forth with as well. Shocks plus springs seem to give you a better ride, yes? Since you aren't pre-compressing the shocks?

To the OP - I've gone back and forth quite a bit with a similar setup plan. I've settled on the same setup as yours except with the Wheeler's progressive 3-leaf pack as the AAL. OME springs and Bilsteins set to zero seem to be a good combo.

Then again, if you're setting them to zero, maybe there's a non-adjustable set that's cheaper and equal or better quality? Dunno...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The OME trim packer only works with OME shocks

OP , add a 1/4" top plate spacer to the driver's side
Oh thats right I forgot about the top plate spacer....good looking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
This is what I've gone back and forth with as well. Shocks plus springs seem to give you a better ride, yes? Since you aren't pre-compressing the shocks?
I have 885's with the top plate spacers and 5100's set at 0" and the ride is a little stiff but nothing terrible.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Ok will get the top plate spacer for the drivers side. What about the rear shocks? I currently have the yellow and blue bilsteins. Will those handle the 1.5 inch AAL? Any recommendations?

And the tires I have now are obviously wider than stock. They balloon out to the sides a little. I'd like to keep the stock rims for now if possible. Have any of you had trouble with them rubbing the uca's while turning?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have the same wheels and tires exactly, and I get rubbing very infrequently at full lock turning into a steep hill, but that's it. You're already running those tires and wheels - I don't think you'll have any more rubbing than you already have.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the same wheels and tires exactly, and I get rubbing very infrequently at full lock turning into a steep hill, but that's it. You're already running those tires and wheels - I don't think you'll have any more rubbing than you already have.
I was just thinking by lifting you change the angle of the control arms, so if the truck moves up, the uca may be closer slightly to the tire.

I do get rubbing sometimes like you mentioned. Noticed it started to happen over the past year but never before when the truck was newer(I've always run that size of tire) That's what makes me think the springs are slightly worn out and maybe sagging a little.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Polymerhead, what shocks are you running on the rear?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #14

Stock - I'm all stock suspension-wise. Sorry if I confused anyone, I haven't actually bought a lift, but I have read about every thread about them. OME plus 5100s all around plus a wheelers progressive leaf pack are going on my rig at first sign of sagging. Only 25k miles on her right now though, so she's good to go for now.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stock - I'm all stock suspension-wise. Sorry if I confused anyone, I haven't actually bought a lift, but I have read about every thread about them. OME plus 5100s all around plus a wheelers progressive leaf pack are going on my rig at first sign of sagging. Only 25k miles on her right now though, so she's good to go for now.
Oh ok. Only thing is toytec lists the rear bilsteins good for 0-2" lift but on other sites they say the rear bilstein is only good for 0-1" lift. Does anyone know which it is? I'm planning a 1.5" AAL and wouldn't want to over extend the shock.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
I also noticed above the front springs there is a rubber bushing in between the spring and the mounting plate on the truck. Doesn't look like the strut bushing kit from toytec comes with this bushing. Where are you guys getting that part? I'd like to to replace everything there while I'm in there.

Bump for some info about the rear shocks too... going to get some install quotes today.