1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rookie lift and tire size/performance question.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tensecondchevelle, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    tensecondchevelle

tensecondchevelle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab
    Recently I was talking to my fathers friend, who works at a local tire shop, about lifting my truck. He told me if I get a 6" lift it will ruin my suspension and it will be a money pit with me constantly fixing the suspension. He also told me if I put 35's or 33's on my truck it will accelerate slow or "dog down," because its a 6 cylinder.

I bought my Tacoma almost a year ago, and have been saving like crazy to lift it, put a custom bumper on it equipped with a light bar.

So my questions are: How bad would a 6" lift mess up the suspension (I plan on keeping the truck for a minimum of 5 years), or is a smaller lift size recommended?
    Will bigger tires make acceleration that much slower that it won’t be fun to drive anymore?

I have a 2006 Doublecab.

PS: I'm on this forum all day, but rarely ever post things. I just read and admire pictures haha.

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    6" lifts are drop bracket style lifts, which do not change any of the suspension geometry from stock. They basically just move the crossmember down, is one way to think of it. They gain no ground clearance from stock and are typically regarded on here as being mostly for looks.

Check out this current thread on regearing with 33s or 35's.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/256184-rookie-33-35-tire-question.html

3. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    A 3 inch suspension lift is more highly recommended around here, because it gives you some more ground clearance and the ability to fit some bigger tires. With 33s you shouldn't really have to regear but it depends on the tire as well. I'm pretty sure with 35s regearing is recommended.

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    MarkM

MarkM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro / BRO
    6" looks like shit get a 3" lift kit from ToyTeclifts.com plenty different price ranges to choose from. Comes with directions to install. And I have 33s and my truck is still quick might use a little more gas but it looks like a truck now and has off road capabilities.

Products Discussed in

To Top