1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 to 3 inch lift question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Techy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jan 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    Techy

Techy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    First, thanks for all the good info I get on here. I got my first tacoma this past summer, and it basically all stock. I really want to put 2 to 3 inches of lift on it. I dont do anything offroad really that need more than what my stock tacoma has, but I like the look of a liitle bit of lift. And sitting s bit higher is always nice. Anyway I would like some recommendations of what lift to get/ how. I am looking for something that is mot going to break the bank and not anything that is going to cause added problems/ require more modifications. I like the look of 2 to 3 inches and from what i undetstand anything over 3 inches and you need to do other modifications do to changing the angles of things. So what do you guys think I should do? What do you have? Do you like what you have?

Sorry I am just pretty new to all this.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Bilstein 5100s set to 1.75 in the front with the 1/4" ToyTec top plate spacer will = about 2.25" lift in the front.

Wheeler's 3 leaf 1.5" AAL and leaving in the stock OL leaf will be about 2" in the rear.

If you're not wheeling it much and are on a budget you won't need more than 5100s

3. Jan 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    ^ will allow you to keep stock UCAs

By the way, if you haven't learned it already. 265/75R16s are about an inch taller tire than what comes on your truck stock since you have the TRD OR and will fit on a stock truck. They will also fit with the lift set up I mentioned above (if you're looking for tire sizes).

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    I have 265/75/16's now. And to maybe classify things if it matters. I don't do a lot of hardcore offroading, but I am off road all the time. I am an avid hunter and fisherman in colorado so I am off road a lot.

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    5100s will be more than enough. There is also Old Man Emu shocks/coils and you can either swap out your whole leaf pack for a new one or add a leaf to it to save money.

When it comes to being on a budget as you mentioned, everyone here seems to go in this order

5100s, cheapest, but still a quality product. TONS of people run them through some pretty rough stuff

OME (Old Man Emu) a bit more monies but worth it for a full OME set up to some

Other stuff=more expensive and honestly not necessary for most

So those are the main two budget options you'll hear about, both being very good quality, reliable, and well tested/proven.

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    Sorry I am a newb, what are the parts I will need then? Billstein 5100's front and back? And aal? Any tour of leaf in particular? Anything else? What will this net lift wise?

Oh and I have a 06 dbl cab trd off road.

7. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Bilstein 5100s are shocks. The best place to get them is from DownSouthMotorsports. They are a vendor here on TacomaWorld.
    If you order from them I would get your AAL from them as well.

There is a single leaf that can be added to your pack which will stiffen up the ride a little. A slightly better option for those whom do not want to get a whole new pack is a "progressive" 3 leaf pack. There are 3 leaves and as load is added they progressively support each other. Wheeler's Offroad sells them (also a vendor on here) as well as Icon and a few others probably.

The 5100s have four settings (3 notches) to give you height in the front. (this is why you save money. You use the shock for the lift rather than ordering a coil like you have to with OME or other shocks) The height settings are roughly, 0", 0.85", 1.75", and 2.5".

Many people choose the 1.75" setting. On my 2012 Tacoma I set them at 1.75" and then added a 1/4" top plate spacer which gave me about another half inch of lift. So my front lift height was 2.25" and my rear was 2" which leveled me out a little but still left some slight rake.

So, shocks, and your choice of single AAL or progressive AAL is about the cheapest you can go and still have a quality, and usable suspension set up.

Hope that helps

8. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    Is there a reason you didnt set it at 2.5 and leave off the 1/4 spacer? Did you do the aal in back?

What do you think is better the aal or the progressive?

9. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    Are there a bunch of different types of 5100's like different amounts of travel? Our all they all the same. I don't want to end up with the wrong ones.

Thanks for all you're help

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    And what type of shock do you need in the rear with 1.5 to 2 inch aal?

11. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Setting them at 2.5 is going to make for a rough ride. You're preloading the shock. Honestly, a better route is utilizing an aftermarket coil for the lift and leaving the shock at 0, but many, many people here run the 5100s at 1.75 and it's just fine. The 1/4" top plate allows for smoother ride, among other things. As you research you'll see what I mean.

There are many different types of bilstein shocks. There are different travel and length and valved, etc. When you call DSM let them know what you're doing and they will make sure you get the right ones. I think they're still about $300 for all four.

All four as in the 5100s for the rear are specifically for the rear. You won't need the extended travel ones. DSM will hook you up with the right ones.

I prefer the progressive AAL. It's not that much more $. I think $150 for the progressive and about $75 for the single. Progressive will ride smoother and help with carrying a load.

A single AAL will give about as much lift as it says. 1.5=1.5 and 2"=2"
    The progressive one from Wheelers, IIRC, is rated at 1.5" of lift after you remove your factory overload leaf (which is about 1/2" thick). So, if you leave the OL leaf in, you will have that in addition to the 1.5. so 1.5+0.5=2" of lift in the rear. And IMO you're better off with either getting the top plate spacer to add to the 1.75 setting on the front billy OR leaving the billy at 0 and ordering an OME coil to go over it and do the lifting (but the coil will obviously cost you more).

You're call man.

12. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Keep in mind, this is all assuming you want to save money.

There are MANY other options for you if you want to expand your budget. You could replace the whole leaf pack and get some matching coilovers for the front, but to be honest, for your application of hunting, fishing, etc. What we've discussed will be more than enough.

13. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    Cray

Cray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Currently 3" revtek lift, plan to upgrade.
    I agree. Stay away from spacers and get some billys. I will be ordering my billys soon and leaving them at 0 and doing my lifting with the coils.

14. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I have 5100s set at 2.5" in the front and Toytec AAL 1.5" in the rear. Very reasonably priced. At 2.5" in the front my caster is out of whack. Keep that in mind if you don't want to buy new upper control arms.

15. Jan 5, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    What coils?

16. Jan 5, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    Techy

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    Ugh, problems with only 2.5. What does the caster do? Pardon my ignorance.

How much would it be to put on the new uca's anyway?

Products Discussed in

To Top