1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Total Chaos Upper Control Arm Install/DIY

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nicky Lam, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Nicky Lam

Nicky Lam [OP] Dog Face Soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Somers Point/Mount Laurel, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    NOV12: Front windows tinted to matched to rear windows 12NOV12: Fog light anytime mod DEC12: OME 885 w/ 25912 top plate spacers for full 3" lift OME Trim packer Dakar Rear 5 Leaf Packs Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms 2.5° Degree Rear Axle Shims 18JAN13: 17x9 Fuel Kranks 17x9 4.5 BS -12mm Offset 285-70-17 Goodyear Duratracs 23JAN13: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit 05FEB13 TRD Aluminum Skid Plate 05FEB13 TRD Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust (2012 modified to fit 2013) Auto Mate 5304A (Viper 5704 Equivalent) 2-Way Alarm/Remote Start with Smart Start for iPhone De-Badged All Emblems 30JUL13 Go Rhino Stainless Steel Dominator II Side Steps *not yet installed: Stainless Steel Extended Rear Brake Lines
    this is just a reference on how to remove and replace your stock upper control arms with the Total Chaos Upper Control Arms, i am NOT responsible if YOU f*ck up your own truck.

Driver side front, before i touched anything or bent any fender. stock UCA
    [​IMG]

where the bolt is now, after you loosen it, is where you will have to bend the fender (dont worry, its not that much bending)
    [​IMG]

bent fender just enough to get the bolt to slide past it, i used channel locks for the bending.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loosen the castle nut holding the ball joint, but dont take the nut all the way off.. normally you would use a ball joint separator to separate (which i dont have) but a few good whacks with a ball peen hammer right here(see picture below) will separate the control arm from the spindle just as well if not easier. ***please dont whack metal on metal in below freezing temperatures. the hammer can and will shatter***
    [​IMG]

now back to the bolt. punch the bolt through but be careful! in the next pic there is a wire that could get pinched/cut at the other end of the bolt if you bash the bolt through to fast.
    [​IMG]

now, looking from up top through the engine bay, at the end of my flat head screw driver tip is where the path of the bolt will come out, right next to that is a black wire loom with yellow electrical tape around it. this wire is attached to the wheel well, slide this wire over the bolt or between the bolt and the wheel well fender (which ever works best for you) im not exactly sure what this wire is, but yellow, to the best of my knowledge has something to do with air bags? the bolt will come out under the battery. i hit the bolt out a little, got up checked the bolts position to the wire, went back and hit the bolt a little more, checked again, etc... until i knew it was not going to cut or pinch it, when i knew it was ok and clear, i went back and hit the bolt completely out. after you get it past the wire, the bolt comes out pretty easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stock control arm is now free to come out
    [​IMG]

Now refer to the TC installation manual that came with your control arms. grease the bushings etc etc. (i used green grease, and i put a healthy amount of it anywhere there would be movement)

using the install manual that came with the TC arms, place the washers where they need to go and install that bolt we just punched out backwards.
    only on the driver side are these rigid lines, i think they are fuel lines? that will kind of be in the way, i just gently pry'ed/pulled them to the side a little bit and wiggled the bolt back in) where my finger is pointing are the lines that kinda of get in the way of easily getting the bolt straight in. after i got the bolt past the lines, i just pushed them back to where they were originally, Do NOT kink these lines.
    [​IMG]

install the hardware as per the Total chaos instructions. i greased these so they would go in easier as well. the new bolt and nut they supplied is larger than the OEM castle nut, and they were a standard size, not metric like the OEM castle nut.
    [​IMG]

torque all the bolts and nuts down to spec. and this is what it should look like finished. (note the ABS line i ran on the inside of the control arm, you can do it on the outside or inside, doesnt matter, just make sure there is enough slack when you zip tie it down for up and down suspension travel)
    [​IMG]

Do the same for the passenger side. passenger side should be easier as the rigid fuel lines will not be there to get in the way of putting the bolt back in

ALSO TAKE NOTE the zerk fittings that come with the kit are very easy to cross thread when putting them on, they strip VERY easily, i did 3 of the 4 perfectly, then the last one i thought i was the shit and was not as careful and i stripped it but i got it in by tapping on it with a hammer while tightening it down. just take your time to make sure you put them in dead straight!
    [​IMG]

i left out some small details that im sure if your doing this on your own youd already know how to remove the abs line bracket from the control arms.. cotter pin on the castle nut, bending the fender back to where it was, removing the plastic clips and rubber flaps in the wheel well so you have more room to work, jack the truck up, loosen the lug nuts and take the wheel off etc etc etc... like i said minor stuff.

people have told me to buy new bolts and to just cut the old one ( i saved myself 20 bucks by reusing the old ones). i think i would have spent more time with hack saw or sawzall trying to cut that bolt than just bending the fender and pulling it out to reuse it. if its easier for you to cut the bolt, or have extra bolts.. cut it. thats entirely up to you. but bending the fender a tiny bit and doing it this way was very, very easy if you ask me. my recommendation is to bend the fender a little, if i were to do it again for myself or someone else, id do it the same way. bend the inner fender a smidge, or cut big ass bolt, your choice.

any questions or comments, feedback, input, or questions dont hesitate to ask, or if i need to fix/edit anything you see wrong with this write up

total chaos uca were purchased here http://www.metaltech4x4.com
    coupon code: Taco World
    for just under $620 shipped

Best of luck,
    Nick

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    Nice write up :thumbsup: I will be refering to this in a few weeks hopefully :D

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    NOV12: Front windows tinted to matched to rear windows 12NOV12: Fog light anytime mod DEC12: OME 885 w/ 25912 top plate spacers for full 3" lift OME Trim packer Dakar Rear 5 Leaf Packs Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms 2.5° Degree Rear Axle Shims 18JAN13: 17x9 Fuel Kranks 17x9 4.5 BS -12mm Offset 285-70-17 Goodyear Duratracs 23JAN13: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit 05FEB13 TRD Aluminum Skid Plate 05FEB13 TRD Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust (2012 modified to fit 2013) Auto Mate 5304A (Viper 5704 Equivalent) 2-Way Alarm/Remote Start with Smart Start for iPhone De-Badged All Emblems 30JUL13 Go Rhino Stainless Steel Dominator II Side Steps *not yet installed: Stainless Steel Extended Rear Brake Lines
    original post has been proof read and edited. also added the source of where i purchased the TC UCA's along with a coupon code for you.

4. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Nice writeup! I was one of those guys that told you to cut the bolt lol. Glad to see you didn't have a problem with it. Oh and with a good metal sawzall blade, less than 30 seconds to cut the bolt :p

5. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    do what you gotta do to get the bolt out. lol. there is no right or wrong way. my truck has less than 2300 miles, i think for it being so new and rust free attributed to me not have any issues

thanks for your your input prior to me installing this though

6. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
  7. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    X2. cant wait to see this finised product, your truck is going to look awesome

8. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
  9. Jan 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    Just giving you a hard time. Congrats on the new suspension. :D

10. May 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    MagneticTaco

MagneticTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kiel
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Magnetic
    3" toytech lift, front spacers, AAL in the rear, 285/75r16 goodyear duratrac, blacked out emblems and taillights, pained grill
    sub for install soon

11. May 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    FYI. Those yellow and black wires are for the airbags. In my haste I did pinch them a few weeks ago during my TC UCA install. That was a $250 mistake. I've done a lot of installs but got lazy as I sped thru it this time. Great write up!

12. Jun 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Great write up! subbed for sure!

13. May 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    dimead0zen

dimead0zen Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Mid-Travel 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Desert prerunnin', rock crawlin' machine!
    Okay, novice question... why do people say "Sub / Sub'd / Subbed" on threads they are interested in? It seems like it's done to watch the thread... but there's a "Watch Thread" link on every thread. Doesn't make sense to me.

BTW awesome write-up, doing this install this weekend along with King Extended Travel coilovers.

Products Discussed in

To Top