LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How imperative are new UCA's with this lift...?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
How imperative are new UCA's with this lift...?

I'm looking to get the Bilstein Adjustable Lift Kit with 5100 shocks and Eibach coils with a top plate spacer. It will bring me to 3" of lift with the Toytec 2" AAL. So my question is: "Will it hurt my truck if I run stock UCA's with this lift?"

Thanks for the info. If I don't absolutely NEED them, than I don't necessarily want to spend $500 extra.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It wont "hurt" your truck, but your alignment will be off. Ask yourself this.....Did you take price into much consideration when buying your truck? The Tacoma is the most expensive mid size truck out. Why skimp on doing the lift?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
RedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud ofRedneckSailor has much to be proud of

Navy: Fire Controlman CPO
Name: Brian
RedneckSailor's Tacoma Gallery
I was actually in a Off Road store today talking about this exact lift kit. I was at 4 Wheel Parts in El Cajon, CA. They said that they can get the alignment spot on without replacing the UCA's. I was told that as long as I don't go above 3" of lift, the stock UCA's will be fine. But, I know everyone has a different answer on this one.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have read in several forums that if you don't get new UCAs, then you might rub. I would ask myself..."Do I really want to screw up new tires?" (That is if you are going to a bigger style tire).

Plus, the LR UCAs are adjustable. So this will eliminate rubbing.

Oh and commend you for still using the MSU symbol in your profile. Hope my Rebels didn't hurt ya'lls feeling too bad!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
You're a prerunner, get spindles and leave your front shocks and coils alone. For the rear do the 2" AAL and bilstiens and call it done.

Why make your truck ride like crap preloading the coils and pushing it on the alignment when spindles are now super affordable?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckSailor View Post
I was actually in a Off Road store today talking about this exact lift kit. I was at 4 Wheel Parts in El Cajon, CA. They said that they can get the alignment spot on without replacing the UCA's. I was told that as long as I don't go above 3" of lift, the stock UCA's will be fine. But, I know everyone has a different answer on this one.
Ive had 4wheel parts tell me that a magnet placed in the fuse box would give me better MPG, and hp. If they tell you something, its best to belive the opposite.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ive had 4wheel parts tell me that a magnet placed in the fuse box would give me better MPG, and hp. If they tell you something, its best to belive the opposite.
I second that!
A 3" lift using stock UCA and alignment is perfect, yeah right!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
ive been running a 3" lift 33's and stock upper control arms for 5 years now to the day. the alignment will slowly work its way out. luckily i know an alignment guy and it doesnt cost me anything.

that being said tires will wear out unevenly. they will be my next purchase.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the information guys. I want to level out my truck, but also give it a couple of inches to fit some bigger tires. My budget is about $800 for suspension. I really would like to fit some BFG KM2's. My brother "Voodoo" is running this exact lift but without the top plate spacer. I really wanted the tps to reach 3" lifts and put the KM2's on.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a similar lift(OME) and BFG ATs with stock UCAs. Im 16 and broke so new UCAs aren't really in my near future. My alignment is fine without em(for me), but it definitely isnt perfect.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
I'm A Grinder

pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
Appreciate the input. If I'm not mistaken, the OME kit achieves the same lift, but with better shocks and coils, correct? May look into getting them instead.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the coils lift it, rather than the coils and shocks. Its a great kit. Although I would suggest putting it on yourself. I have yet to find a shop I can trust.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I have eibach coils and bilstein set at .85 no problems with alignment or rubbing. I think the spacer is just the taco lean spacer because I only see 1 in the photo.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I just went and got LR UCA's right off the bat when I got my lift to avoid future issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
I'm A Grinder

pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
The top plate spacer is an option that brings the lift to a COMPLETE 3" in the package.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Personnally I would do without the spacer I'm very happy with my lift and it rides good on and off the road. I also have removed my sway bar.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
We installed this lift on my buddies 2006 DCLB a few months ago and he didnt get new UCA's but his alignment isnt perfect. I'd say save up and get some aftermarket UCA's.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
WY7FRV
woodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodnick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
woodnick's Tacoma Gallery
I put the toytech lift on mine without the UCLA's with the stock tires. I had the truck aligned right after, but they couldn't quite get the camber perfect. This caused the stock tires to wear out prematurely so I could justify buying total chaos uca's. If your going to invest in new larger tires for 1200+ I would recommend buying new uca's otherwise your new tires will wear faster than you want.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
Southbound
Westside has a spectacular aura aboutWestside has a spectacular aura about
Name: JT
Westside's Tacoma Gallery
Without UCA's the ride quality will suffer and most likely, at least in my experience. The front suspension woildn't fully articulate. Proper alignment was imposible.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
So I have a 2013 DBL cab TRD OR and I want to go with either 255/80/17 or 255/85/16 KM2's depending on which after market wheel I go with. Right now I'm really liking that TRD bead lock 17in forged wheel in dark grey.

Soooooo, since the tires I'm going to use are 33's but are a very narrow 33 can I get away with 2.5 lift or do I need to go 3in. ???

I've looked at Icons lifts and their UCA's and they look quality and seem to have a pretty good rep.

Also looked at FabTech 3in lifts and theirs cost more but they come with UCA'S with their kit so price is a wash but FabTech doesn't appear to be very popular around here. Why??? I've known guys that used FabTech on their domestic trucks with good success but there seems to be no love here for them.