Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Does no justice.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Cray is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
Does no justice.

This website really doesnt do spacers no justice. They are pretty good for what their made for. They arent made to go off roading in. I bought one and installed mine last night. I have been planning to get rid of it and just get billys after looking on this website. Im glad i didnt spend the extra money yet. I put it on and drove 19 miles to town. It rode fine. sure when you hit a deep pothole you know its there. I am pretty satisfied with the look and ride Im getting out of it. I will still be getting billys but im not in such a hurry now. So what im saying is if you want a spacer to save money and you dont wheel much, try it and see what you think.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cray View Post
This website really doesnt do spacers no justice. They are pretty good for what their made for. They arent made to go off roading in. I bought one and installed mine last night. I have been planning to get rid of it and just get billys after looking on this website. Im glad i didnt spend the extra money yet. I put it on and drove 19 miles to town. It rode fine. sure when you hit a deep pothole you know its there. I am pretty satisfied with the look and ride Im getting out of it. I will still be getting billys but im not in such a hurry now. So what im saying is if you want a spacer to save money and you dont wheel much, try it and see what you think.
I had spacers on my '04 for a few years (Cornfed, 2") and they worked fine. A friend of mine with an '00 now has them (actually the whole front strut assembly) on his truck, when I upgraded to SAWs. Only reason I went to SAWs was the fron ARB+winch. I offroaded with my spacers often. Nothing with extreme articulation, but I got into a few dicey spots. Of course I loved the adjustability of the SAWs, and I'm planning for a set on my '12 when money permits.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
You are far better off with the proper wheel offset than spacers, but that is a fine point. As we move the center of force of the tire further outboard, we increase load on the wheel bearings, lca, ball joints and STRUTS. We see that increased load as shortened front wheel bearing life, and more frequent replacement of ball joints and struts.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
You are far better off with the proper wheel offset than spacers, but that is a fine point. As we move the center of force of the tire further outboard, we increase load on the wheel bearings, lca, ball joints and STRUTS. We see that increased load as shortened front wheel bearing life, and more frequent replacement of ball joints and struts.
Spring spacers, not wheel spacers.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This site doesn't do them any justice because when it comes to suspension, there are MUCH better options out there that will actually make your truck ride and perform better. I don't off road either but I wouldn't trade my Eibach coils and 5100's for a spacer lift.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Spring spacers, not wheel spacers.
me bad...I saw spacers and thought about the cheap wheel spacers used to jam giant tires where they shouldn't go...

I put a set of front spring spacers on the jeep wrangler a few weeks ago to level after installing a winch and plate bumper.

On my taco, I am planning on getting the billies to level out the rear spring TSB.

BTW, if you don't wheel, why are you lifting?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Captain Taco
tacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter
Name: Matt
tacofire38's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
me bad...I saw spacers and thought about the cheap wheel spacers used to jam giant tires where they shouldn't go...

I put a set of front spring spacers on the jeep wrangler a few weeks ago to level after installing a winch and plate bumper.

On my taco, I am planning on getting the billies to level out the rear spring TSB.

BTW, if you don't wheel, why are you lifting?
People like the look... you dont have to wheel to lift
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to wheel to have your strut be your bumpstop and snap in half.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I believe that a deep pothole could cause that.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Urban off roading FTW!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
Im not to worried about my strut breaking in half. Im 18 and only did the spacer because it will hold me off until graduation (thats when i upgrade my suspension) and also just to learn a little about doing it. And yes there are better suspension options out there but im not going to drop an extra 1000 dollars on a lift because of a wittle bumps. haha
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
the breakages have been both on-road and off-road.
and there's TONS of people that run them with no problems; but the potential for failure is much higher with spacers than with conventional lifts.

we try to steer people away from them to save the wallet from replacing what "might" break.

and you cant truly judge effectiveness of a lift part after 19 miles :P
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
Ive driven it more since then and feel the same way. And i completely understand why to try to steer people away from it trust me. I still wanna get away from it and get some billies or ome maybe. I dunno. But for now it will do exactly what i want it to. and if the shocks break that gives me a really good reason to drop the money on the bilsteins haha
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive driven it more since then and feel the same way. And i completely understand why to try to steer people away from it trust me. I still wanna get away from it and get some billies or ome maybe. I dunno. But for now it will do exactly what i want it to. and if the shocks break that gives me a really good reason to drop the money on the bilsteins haha
That's pretty much what toucanv13 said.....then his snapped on his way home on a main street.
True to his word, he went with 5100s..

As long as ur happy for now, that's all that matters.....just start saving up a lil at a time.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
I already started. Hopefully if some of the stuff i have on here for sale will sell and i can get em before mine breaks on me.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Most people don't give good rep to coil spacers just do to the fact of there just a cheap way to lift. Sure it gives you the lift you like but people on the fourm are trying to give you correct info so when you want something like coilovers, or the blisten/eibach or ome coils for example. so there trying to help you not waste your money the first time on something you rushed into.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Jesus had 5100s.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery

You gonna extend those bump stops?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Why spend money on them at all if you already know you are going to upgrade. That money could have gone towards what you actually wanted.

Patience is a virtue
x2... You spent the money on the spacers, then spent money on having it aligned post-install (hopefully), then you're going to buy a better suspension soon, then pay to get it aligned again. The money saved between the alignment and the spacers could have almost bought the 5100's.