Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Height adjustable shocks

Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Cray is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
Height adjustable shocks

What are all the different kinds of ride height adjustable shocks out there? Billys are the only ones i know of.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
as far as affordable shocks bilsteins take the cake. but King makes some, Donahue, Icon, and Fox all make adjustable front coilovers
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the reply. does rancho make them?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
On the fly adjustable with a spanner is 1 thing.....bilstein 5100 are only adjustable when tension is Not on the spring seat/perch and its much more work.

If u got the coin, and want full adjustability,superior ride, custom valving and rebuilability, then shine on the 5100s and get a nice icon/king/fox/etc setup
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Guess its not a word my phone can recognize......I meant a shock that's rebuildable
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
On the fly adjustable with a spanner is 1 thing.....bilstein 5100 are only adjustable when tension is Not on the spring seat/perch and its much more work.

If u got the coin, and want full adjustability,superior ride, custom valving and rebuilability, then shine on the 5100s and get a nice icon/king/fox/etc setup
wrong...http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72
these are the 5100s fully adjustable that I'm currently running from my toytec ultimate lift

they work just fine, however I will be slowly converting to a MT setup with one of the other brands remote resi coil overs as soon as the money is there that is
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
wrong...http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72
these are the 5100s fully adjustable that I'm currently running from my toytec ultimate lift

they work just fine, however I will be slowly converting to a MT setup with one of the other brands remote resi coil overs as soon as the money is there that is
Ur right I forgot about those.....on the fly adjustable yes.......ridden with them before and they rode worse than a simple 5100 + coil swap, so I didn't mention them.

But ur right, they are adjustable.....but not rebuildable, not as smooth, and not able to be custom valved.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Ur right I forgot about those.....on the fly adjustable yes.......ridden with them before and they rode worse than a simple coil swap, so I didn't mention them.

But ur right, they are adjustable.....but not rebuildable, not as smooth, and not able to be custom valved.
And you are correct here as well. Ride feels about the same as stock on the road, but is quite a bit better off road. A good starting point for someone not entirely sure which route they want to go with their build. I knew my route, just couldn't afford what I plan on getting to at the time, but needed to upgrade so that I could tow my toy hauler out to the desert in the meantime. Will be upgrading slowly and properly from here on out.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like billys are definetly the way i wanna go. I dont want a huge lift and i dont wheel. I need new shocks and a little lift so this should work.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever finish your shock replacement? I'm in the same market - a leveling lift with replacement shocks.... Did you have to put a 1/4" spacer on the driver's side to fix the lean?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
Did you ever finish your shock replacement? I'm in the same market - a leveling lift with replacement shocks.... Did you have to put a 1/4" spacer on the driver's side to fix the lean?

If he went with the 5100's and stock coils, no shims would be required as the spring rates are different to compensate. Most if not all aftermarket coils would require the spacer. Unless it's a fully adjustable coil over then you could adjust out the lean.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Anytime, glad I could help.