Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coil overs spring rates?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
Coil overs spring rates?

Last time I changed my spring rates my 2.7L prerunner regular cab bounced clean off the pavement whenever I hit the smallest of bumps! My truck is so light that there is no compression at all with the OME spring.
Now I want to try coil overs. But the 625 pound spring seems way too much for my truck.
I have no ideal what the rate is on my stock springs but they ride fine and would like to keep the coil overs about the same.
Are the spring rates something I can change by ordering a lower one?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Must pay wife for safe passage
mudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mark
Location: Somewhere between where Arizona blows and Texas sucks!
mudpuppet's Tacoma Gallery
See link below. Toytec recommends a 500 lb coild for the 4-cylinder engines. Since the 3.4L V6 is heavier they recommend a 600 lb coil to handle the extra weight and a 650 lb coil if you have a winch.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
great info. but the drop down menu only shows 600 and 650. Must be out of the 500?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
mudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of light

You can always contact Toytec directly and see if they have more information on that coil over. Wheelers is also a very reputable company. I have toytec products sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, and have been very happy with Toytec's customer support thusfar.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #5

I forgot to mention. Thank you for serving our country.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Air Force:
Thanks Mark! I sent an email to sales@camburg.com since I buy mainly from Wheelers Offroad. They have a set of camburg coilovers and uppers for under $1100. Just thinking that the 2.5 is too big as well?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Air Force:
ok got an email back from wheelers offroad. He said that they do offer the coilovers with 500# spring. Just need to note that on my order. sweet!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #8

Sounds good. Post pictures when you complete your build.