Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

All lifts cause damage

Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
osteopathic is on a distinguished road
osteopathic's Tacoma Gallery
All lifts cause damage

Bought a new 2013 Tacoma dbl cab sport about two weeks ago and I am very happy wiht it. Always liked the lifted look but the local business that installs lifts suprisingly told me that any lift would ultimately cause damage and would probably void the warranty. How can there be no good lift out there? Don't get it when everyone in here has a lift or would like one.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Void the warranty, not from my experience. Cause damage .. yea. Especially if you consider losing resale dollars "damage" The real damage comes because the stock parts just wear quicker with lifts. Not even lifts tho, just bigger wheels and tires also cause premature wear.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
DikDikerson is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
DikDikerson's Tacoma Gallery
The dealership told me that if they installed the lift the warranty would still be good but I would risk wearing out some parts faster. I didn't get it done cuz it was stupid expensive through them.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
CV boots, for example, are pretty much guaranteed to wear out faster.

Ditto driveline U-Joints.

Everything is tradeoffs.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer said a suspension lift DOES NOT void the warranty, but surprisingly a body lift voids it which i thought was odd. Honestly it wont cause damage right way, but over time like fightnfire said it causes premature wear. My dad and I put a lift on the 96 jeep cherokee we had in 1998, was my daily driver in high school and started to barley slip a little in 2008 with 240,000 on it. the other jeep we had was stock with 275,00 on it and no tranny slipping. Yes premature wear does come about from a lift but depending on the lift and off road conditions not much like the dealer made it out to be. LIFT IT
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Bearings, cv's, steering, brakes, all will wear faster especially when most people "lift" to clear larger heavier tires which cause more wear. But at the same time many people lift with minimal to zero issues. I'm at 60k miles on 35's and the only problem I've ran into us i have a wheel bearing going out.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
NEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Bearings, cv's, steering, brakes, all will wear faster especially when most people "lift" to clear larger heavier tires which cause more wear. But at the same time many people lift with minimal to zero issues. I'm at 60k miles on 35's and the only problem I've ran into us i have a wheel bearing going out.
How bad was the bearing to replace?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
How bad was the bearing to replace?
havent replaced it yet* having a shop do it next thursday, i could do it if i had a press i just don't want to mess with it
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #9

It doesnt come pressed already when they ship it?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
It doesnt come pressed already when they ship it?
Depends on what parts you buy. Just the bearing without the housing you have to press the bear and the hub. Bearing and housing -Just press the hub. Full hub assembly-Bolt and go.
I did my wifes 4Runner about a week ago...Gt the bears in the housing and just had the h pressed into it by a buddy....Easy but more expensive than just buying bearings...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
it is just premature wear if you do not account for every aspect of the lift

if you can preserve all the original drivetrain angles (cv's, diffs, and propeller) then
a lift is gonna be fine. proper lift jobs are expensive, there is no free ride.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
it is just premature wear if you do not account for every aspect of the lift

if you can preserve all the original drivetrain angles (cv's, diffs, and propeller) then
a lift is gonna be fine. proper lift jobs are expensive, there is no free ride.
The only way to preserve original driveline angles is to leave it stock... There's no way to lift a vehicle and not change the angles of at least some of the driveline parts. It's just not physically possible...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My dealer said a suspension lift DOES NOT void the warranty, but surprisingly a body lift voids it which i thought was odd. Honestly it wont cause damage right way, but over time like fightnfire said it causes premature wear. My dad and I put a lift on the 96 jeep cherokee we had in 1998, was my daily driver in high school and started to barley slip a little in 2008 with 240,000 on it. the other jeep we had was stock with 275,00 on it and no tranny slipping. Yes premature wear does come about from a lift but depending on the lift and off road conditions not much like the dealer made it out to be. LIFT IT
Why do you find it odd that they say a body lift would? You're lifting the body off of the frame I think its odd anyone would question why the dealership would frown upon that.