Notices

To lift or not to lift?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
To lift or not to lift?

I will start with, I have read so many lift threads that my eyes are bleeding...

I really like the OME kit and the 5100 Kit

However, I am not sure if this is more than I need. I live in Colorado and the reason I upgrade vehicles is so I can get to some of the places I want to for my landscape photography hobby http://www.jamescasteel.com. My old vehicle wouldn't even make it up Yankee Boy Basin. I know that my taco trd sport stock, with the 255/75/17's I just put on it will make it up there without too much issue. But there are other trails like Schofield Pass or some sections off Engineer Pass that I am unsure of.

I used to do this stuff in my FJ40 without thinking about it. Is my stock setup enough to do these without beating up my truck, or is 2" enough? Could I just get away with putting Billies on the front at .85 with the rest of my stock equipment just to level it?

I don't want to do too much because this is still my daily driver at 300+ miles a week. But I feel I definitely want to do enough. What are your thoughts? I only care a little about looks, performance is the most important in this for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
You could do what I am going to do. I'm getting the exact same 5100 kit that you linked. I'm going to set the billies at .85 and the Eibach coils will add 1.6" bringing the front end to just under 2.5 (2.45). You can select the back options to what you want. the 1.5" TSB AAL will level your truck out with the eibachs and billies set at .85 (I'm doing the 1.5" AAL). The 2" AAL will keep the factory front lean.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a budget for this little project? I also read that you just got new tires.. Are you looking to go to a larger tire at some point in time?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Do you have a budget for this little project? I also read that you just got new tires.. Are you looking to go to a larger tire at some point in time?
I don't currently have a budget, I am willing to do whatever will work, I am really looking for the minimum requirements to do what I need in the mountains. But that said, I don't want to go crazy with my truck. UCA's & suspension is fine with me, but I think ICONS / KINGS may be a bit unnecessary.

As far as tires, I think I am really happy with the 255/75/17's. I think they are about the ideal tire for the stuff I do.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I will put my vote in for the OME kit with Dakar leafs... The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but performs very well offroad. The Bilstein 5100 with Eibach coils and an AAL will also be a way to do what you want, but is not as complete of a lifting solution IMO. Either way you will likely want to pick up some UCAs to make sure the alignment gets right.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, if you are going to stick with that tire size the isnt much point in doing a bigger lift, you should be able to skip new UCAs if you stay under 2.5 inches of lift up front. And you wont gain any ground clearance at the rear differential without bigger tires. For what you need it for, a small lift for added ground clearance for the rest of the underbody might benefit you. I would say OME nitrochargers and 884 coils up front, no spacer no UCAs. And a icon progresive add a leaf in the rear if you want to keep some rake. Or if you like the idea of having adjustabilty the 5100s with eibacs should give you around 1.6" of lift set at zero. Then you can raise it up another .85 if you want to go higher. The higher you go the more likely you will need UCAs and for every inch you gain you lose an inch in downtravel.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
In my opinion, if you are going to stick with that tire size the isnt much point in doing a bigger lift

(snip)

And you wont gain any ground clearance at the rear differential without bigger tires.
255/75/17 is only 5/8" smaller in diameter than the popular 285/70/17 size , resulting in a difference of just over a 1/4" of clearance

No rubbing issues with the 255's either
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
^^^ Also very solid advice
Thanks. Normally i would be with you and vote for 885s and dakars also, because thats what i have and i love it. But in the OP's case he doesnt need the lift to accomadate for bigger tires, and it seems like he really is looking for function over form. One of the reasons why i chose my lift is because i love how it looks with 2.5-3" of lift and bigger tires, along with alot of other reasons. So i say save some money on the lift and invest the money you saved on skid plates to make it more trail worthy.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. Normally i would be with you and vote for 885s and dakars also, because thats what i have and i love it. But in the OP's case he doesnt need the lift to accomadate for bigger tires, and it seems like he really is looking for function over form. One of the reasons why i chose my lift is because i love how it looks with 2.5-3" of lift and bigger tires, along with alot of other reasons. So i say save some money on the lift and invest the money you saved on skid plates to make it more trail worthy.
See my post above
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need any lift at all IMO. If you're tires fit and do not rub then putting a "lift" on it won't do much for you for ground clearance. You're tire size does that. Good choice on size btw. a true 32

If you want a little more room, or just want better shocks a mild lift will do ya.

Perhaps just replace your shocks for now. I have OME shocks on my 93 but no lift at all because I don't need it unless I bump up to 35s and don't want to do too much cutting.

I vote no lift, just new shocks to minor lift like billies at .85 or 1.75 and an aal or new leaf pack. least needed to most needed.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
255/75/17 is only 5/8" smaller in diameter than the popular 285/70/17 size , resulting in a difference of just over a 1/4" of clearance

No rubbing issues with the 255's either
Good point. That also adds to what i pointed out. He asked if 2" of lift is enough, why go more and add stress to your front suspension and possible need new UCAs if your not gaining much ground clearance from another inch. I think he might benefit from more clearance for the rest of the underbody of the truck besides the differential if he did a ~2" lift and kept his current tire size.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
See my post above
Well they are still bigger...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well they are still bigger...
Yeah , 5/16" above and 5/16" below the axle
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeah , 5/16" above and 5/16" below the axle
I know. More lift in front helps with rubbing issues caused by 285s because they are 30mm wider, not as much bacause they are 5/8" taller. I didnt specify a size, wider, bigger whatever. Alot of people lift their truck to allow for bigger (wider also) tires. I dont get your point, are we both saying that in the OPs case there isnt much point in doing a full 3 inch lift. He asked if his truck would do well offroad as is, and also is 2" of lift enough
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Thanks for all the replies, it truly has helped. I was hoping to get the TSB leafs done today because I keep bottoming out my suspension hauling stuff. Since I was into my extended warranty period they would only do it for the low price of $2100.

I haul my dirt bikes and or a small trailer around so it appears that I will either be looking into a new leaf pack or an AAL with a small 2" lift so I don't look stupid. I like the Billies adjustability but i don't know if I would ever use it beyond the first time. Then again, you can't complain about OME. When I had my FJ40 they were the only one worth owning.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Lower it.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Stock shocks sucks. At least change that if nothing else. Like everyone said, no need for a lift and setting the 5100's at .85 will probably be enough for what you need it for. For about half of what they quoted you for the TSB leaf, you can get a complete OME kit though 5100's will only run you about $300.