Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Lift (OME?) '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab/Potential Tire/Wheel upgrade

Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Lift (OME?) '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab/Potential Tire/Wheel upgrade

Hi, all!

I just joined the forum and am looking forward to learning a lot about my '99 Toyota Tacoma and '05 4Runner from all of you sages out there.

So, on to my current issue:

- I'm looking to install a 3" suspension lift on to my '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab. I'm not concerned with the cost as much as am with purchasing the best lift for my truck. I am looking for a kit that will allow me to perform any task life throws at me. In addition, my Tacoma is the truck I use on a daily basis.
- My buddy, a certified mechanic, recommended Old Man Emu's (OME) heavy duty lift kit. Recommendations?
- When installing a lift kit, what do I need to be concerned with? I want the transition from stock to 3" lift to be seamless. No vibrations, no issues whatsoever.
- Lastly, what size wheel and tire can I purchase that will compliment a 3" suspension? Ideally, I'd like to have my tires stick out in order to create a wider wheel base and, in my opinion, a more aggressive looking truck; however, I don't want to sacrifice performance, reliability and safety in order to attain this look. Opinions?

Thanks, everyone!! Stay safe!!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58850&category_id=120&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

Your buddy is right, this is a really quality lift that will achieve 3". Just select your options according to the directions of toytech's specifications. The largest tire you can fit is a 285/75/16 with some slight trimming. A lot of other guys/gals on here like to run a 255/85/16 which is a taller tire that looks really good, but isn't necessarily what you want. Basically, the higher you go in tire and whell size the more expensive. A larger wheel gives you a bigger side wall which has a higher probablity of becoming scratched through tough terrain (its a truck haha). That size wheel is really up to you and how much you want to spend. Do a little research and find out how big of tires you can fit on each wheel.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your help, guys! I'm definitely going to get this lift! Do you think I need to worry about the CV angle with this suspension lift? And if so, should I go ahead and get the differential drop kit?