Notices

What Shocks with your 2" rear lift

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
What Shocks with your 2" rear lift

Hey guys,

I put a 2" block in my rear, I'm looking for new shocks because my stock ones are not long enough and clunk when my leaf goes to full droop.

What shock did you use that you have no problem bottoming or topping out with?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what the difference is in length over stock, but I hear folks running the 5100s with a 2" lift in the back.

Perhaps even shock extenders would work, I know Toytec sells some.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't listen to anyone on the web regarding what size shocks I need. I have done that in the past and lets just say it doesn't always work.

Now I am a little wiser so I would grab a tape measure and do it right the first time. See here http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/h...ure-shocks.cfm
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
I am literally outside right now with my computer and my truck jacked up

going to buy the bilstein B110 5100.

Should fit perfect, or i might have to mod my factory bumpstop a tiny bit
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I wouldn't listen to anyone on the web regarding what size shocks I need. I have done that in the past and lets just say it doesn't always work.

Now I am a little wiser so I would grab a tape measure and do it right the first time. See here http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/h...ure-shocks.cfm
As would I, its the common sense approach to take
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
I am literally outside right now with my computer and my truck jacked up

going to buy the bilstein B110 5100.

Should fit perfect, or i might have to mod my factory bumpstop a tiny bit
If those are the RCD branded 5100s which were designed to work with 4" blocks, you will def have to modify the bumps. Keeping in mind doing so will come at a lost in up travel. Those shocks are long!

Best of luck
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Standard travel 5100's for me. I haven't bottomed them out. I'm sure I've topped them out since I have floated a tire but it wasn't a hard top out. I'm not running blocks though, I'm running an AAL. I agree with XXXX's suggestion about measuring for best results.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
If those are the RCD branded 5100s which were designed to work with 4" blocks, you will def have to modify the bumps. Keeping in mind doing so will come at a lost in up travel. Those shocks are long!

Best of luck
The Bilstein B-110's are the ones recommended for 3-4" of lift. Might be a little tall for a 2" block but people are running them with 1.5" AAL's...
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, but

I just measured and it came out to 16.5" compressed length and 24.5" extended length

the b110's dimensions are 16.34" compressed length and 27.28 extended length

does that not sound pretty good to you guys?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
the extended i shouldn't have to worry about at all, and the compressed, lets say my measurements are off by an inch i'd still only need to mod my bumpstop to lengthen it by 3/4" max
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys,

I put a 2" block in my rear
That couldn't have been too comfortable
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #12

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That couldn't have been too comfortable
hell no!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, but

I just measured and it came out to 16.5" compressed length and 24.5" extended length

the b110's dimensions are 16.34" compressed length and 27.28 extended length

does that not sound pretty good to you guys?
What did you measure? You should be measuring from eye to stem at full droop and full compression.

Quote:
the extended i shouldn't have to worry about at all, and the compressed, lets say my measurements are off by an inch i'd still only need to mod my bumpstop to lengthen it by 3/4" max
You might not have to modify the bump stops at all since you're using a block lift. If you lifted using an AAL, you're bump stop would be sitting 2" lower but the blocks keep the bump stop close to the frame and just drop the axle.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #14

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
I measured from center of the eye to the bottom of the stem on top of the shock.

both shocks disconnected, one side at full droop other side touching bumpstop

I've done it 3 times in the last few days haha.

I wish that was the case about the bumpstops.. but my measurements tell me otherwise.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The Bilstein B-110's are the ones recommended for 3-4" of lift. Might be a little tall for a 2" block but people are running them with 1.5" AAL's...
Yeah 3"-4" is about right. I think most companies say this understanding 3" for one truck could be more like 3.5" for another; theres so many factors contributing to actual lift height not to mentioned product tolerance.

Its funny though because Ive seen these advertised to be good for 2-4", which I think is BS. I actually spoke to an RCD rep a ways back and these shocks are for their 4" blocks that go with their 4.5" lift kit.

I my opinion a safe shock for a 2 lift would be the Bilstien 5160s. The collapse length due to the resi is actually shorter then the 5100s and the extended length is almost a longer. Yet Id still measure first, but pretty sure they would be a good fit for a 2 lift just based on numbers alone.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I measured from center of the eye to the bottom of the stem on top of the shock.

both shocks disconnected, one side at full droop other side touching bumpstop

I've done it 3 times in the last few days haha.

I wish that was the case about the bumpstops.. but my measurements tell me otherwise.
With a block style rear lift, you shouldn't have to extend your bump stops... On the stock leaf pack travel, there's hardly any up travel at all. Your up travel has not changed. People have to extend their bumps because they use AALs or a different leaf pack which puts the bump stop further down, closer to the axle. Just sitting at rest, how much room do you have between the top of the bump stop and the frame?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #17

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
Pugga You are right about the bumpstop and how I shouldnt have to change it with only a block, however, since the b110's have a longer than stock compressed length, I would have to modify my bumpstops.. the stock compressed length i have is 16ish and the shock is 16.34.. pretty close closer than the stock shock I would assume
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pugga You are right about the bumpstop and how I shouldnt have to change it with only a block, however, since the b110's have a longer than stock compressed length, I would have to modify my bumpstops.. the stock compressed length i have is 16ish and the shock is 16.34.. pretty close closer than the stock shock I would assume
Well, you're doing the right thing by measuring. If the measurements tell you to extend the bumps, then extend the bumps. Next thing, don't forget about the brake lines. Make sure they can handle the extra droop.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have OME N182 shocks in the back with a 2" AAL, works great.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #20

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
just ordered B110's from North shore off road in vancouver