Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

My theory... any advice?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
My theory... any advice?

I have an '00 prerunner that I want to lift, I have OME 9004's with 883 coils already but nothing for the back. I need a new leaf pack, since mine is frowning. BUT, when I jacked my truck up the other day, I noticed that even though the jack was at the front of the frame, the rear lifted about 2 inches. MY THEORY is that if I just put the OME coilovers on the front, that it will take some pressure off of my leaf packs, therefore giving the rear an inch or two of "lift". ("Lift" because in reality it would just be the stock height of the rear). When I jacked it up, the leaf packs were no longer frowning, but as soon as I lowered it I watched as the leafs returned to their frowny state. Any opinions on if this would work??
Normal:

After I jacked up the front end:

Maybe a better angle (from the front side)
before/after:

This is where I put the jack:
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I think that is just because you are cantilevering (is this a word) the weight of the engine over the jack. Someone correct me if i am wrong
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
The placement of the jack is probably right at if not a bit further back than the center of gravity. You lifted up the entire truck.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. What they said.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, gravity wont work like that. If you put the jack under the "special spot" on the skid plate, you will have more accurate results.

You might actually lose a little height in the rear by just lifting the truck, IDK but you wont gain any in the rear.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
davidjmay,

Look at "4WD"s post on "refurbishing leaf springs". You may find your solution there.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You deff need new springs! Rising the front will put more pressure on the rear if anything, but not much!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
davidjmay,

Look at "4WD"s post on "refurbishing leaf springs". You may find your solution there.
I've read it before, but considering I dont have access to that kind of leaf pack and I don't have the time, resources or know-how to accomplish a job like that, it'd be easier for me to just pick up some dakars. Haha
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
davidjmay,

"4WD" also will build and install for you at a much cheaper price than Dakars. You will have a much better product.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
davidjmay,

"4WD" also will build and install for you at a much cheaper price than Dakars. You will have a much better product.
Hmmm. Pm'd him. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
your leafs look like poo
indeed