Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #2441
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
Longer U-Bolts

I know it is recommended but do I need longer u-bolts for OME Dakars on a Gen 1 or will the stock be long enough for a little while?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #2442
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTacosRule View Post
I know it is recommended but do I need longer u-bolts for OME Dakars on a Gen 1 or will the stock be long enough for a little while?
If the difference in the thickness of the leaf pack is similar to that of the 2nd gen packs, no. Of course, reusing crusty old U-bolts isn't a good idea anyway. Suck it up and buy new ones before installation, or leave the springs on the garage floor until you save enough for new U-bolts.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #2443
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dakars are way thicker than that oem junk. If I remember on my gen 1 they might not have been long enough. As mentioned, the last thing you want to do is reuse the old hardware.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #2444
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I have read it around here ...can't quote it.. but is it true that a few guys who have ARB bumpers have hit things and bent their frame...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #2445
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
I have read it around here ...can't quote it.. but is it true that a few guys who have ARB bumpers have hit things and bent their frame...
It's rumored that a heavy plate bumper bolted directly to the frame can cause it to bend in a collision if it is severe enough. IMO zero fucks are given if the collision is that bad and I walk away.

That said, this thread is about OME. If you don't have an OME lift I highly recommend it.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #2446
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
If the difference in the thickness of the leaf pack is similar to that of the 2nd gen packs, no. Of course, reusing crusty old U-bolts isn't a good idea anyway. Suck it up and buy new ones before installation, or leave the springs on the garage floor until you save enough for new U-bolts.
any idea on the length of u-bolts needed?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #2447

Quote:
any idea on the length of u-bolts needed?
Just order them from the same company you order the springs from. You are paying for them to know this stuff.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #2448
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I have billies and was wanting OME and I know that's made by arb company so that's why I posted in here..just was talkin to other members and the question arose..
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #2449
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

Name: Colton
pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I have been riding 883's/Dakar minus 3rd/5100's for a few months.
Front 22.25
Rear 23.00
The ride is great and load carrying is perfect for the car.
It is the suspension Toyota should have put on to begin with.
This still confuses the heck out of me. 883's give this person 22.25, but I asked someone else what their measurement up front with 884's in a double cab were and they said 22.

WTF?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #2450
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Just order them from the same company you order the springs from. You are paying for them to know this stuff.
yup
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #2451
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcolt View Post
This still confuses the heck out of me. 883's give this person 22.25, but I asked someone else what their measurement up front with 884's in a double cab were and they said 22.

WTF?
Length of time springs were in there... Was a measurement done before the springs settled... Mine took a month to fully settle.. ... How loaded was the truck..was a top plate used, 4 cyl vs 6 cy, .. Trim packer... Yadda, Yadda, Yadda...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #2453
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota4Whelz View Post
looking to order the ome 2.5 lift with front/rear shocks and 885s with an aal..when ordering one option is top plate spacers. does that make it a 3in? and if so will i need to get new ucas with the plate spacers?
Yes...it will make it 3... And most likely that will push you into uca territory..
I did the 885 without the top plate spacer... And got a good alignment on stock uca's
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #2454
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
looking to order the ome 2.5 lift with front/rear shocks and 885s with an aal..when ordering one option is top plate spacers. does that make it a 3in? and if so will i need to get new ucas with the plate spacers?
I recommend the .25" spacer and not the half inch. It is too much on cv and without new UCAs my UCAs were rubbing 885s

I go new UCAs and the .25" and really like it. I clear 33s no problem (of course with all the necessary cutting and trimming).

Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #2456
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if you go with the .25 spacer does that still require new ucas? jus dont have the budget for a lift and those at once
It's hard to say. Most likely yes but it's not definite. You may end up needing them even without any spacers. You will most likely be fine but be prepared for your alignment to be a little off just in case. Every Tacoma seems to be a little different.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #2457
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
It's hard to say. Most likely yes but it's not definite. You may end up needing them even without any spacers. You will most likely be fine but be prepared for your alignment to be a little off just in case. Every Tacoma seems to be a little different.
I agree with this. I purchased the UCAs and the smaller spacers at the same time and installed at the same time so did not have a chance to run the .25 without the UCAs.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMountainToy View Post
I agree with this. I purchased the UCAs and the smaller spacers at the same time and installed at the same time so did not have a chance to run the .25 without the UCAs.
x2. UCAs are the best way to ensure stock geometry is maintained throughout the entire range of vertical movement of the spindle. It's a "sooner than later" on my to-do list.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #2459
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
With just 885s and no spacer I needed new UCAs to get alignment in spec. I drove without them for about 6 months though. It wandered, but wasnt too bad.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
With just 885s and no spacer I needed new UCAs to get alignment in spec. I drove without them for about 6 months though. It wandered, but wasnt too bad.
Was that before or after armor?

Products Discussed in this Thread