1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    I think I'll just save a little while longer and find a pair of nitrochargers I don't want to swap these or buy them and find out they won't work. Or I see fox 650 springs on here all time so I may just piece out a coilover set.

2. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Those sound like rear shocks. You need coilovers up front.

3. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    I thought so too but the rears are listed as rears. Wheelers has them too but are more expensive. And they list as a direct stock replacement which makes it sound even more like rears.

4. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    nastyneight

nastyneight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    08 4DR S-Bed
    White Truck
    I've been thru alot of posts but not found good answer. I installed new bumpers, and my new OME suspension this weekend. Its a full OME kit. Dakar rears, heavy duty front springs, all OME shocks, the OME small spacer for the fronts. the issue is it sags bad in the back. Would a shackle flip help. Truck more for towing my 81 yota and camping. Or did I miss something when ordered kit. Do not have UCA's yet in few months when can save up again. ANy advise would help or point me to any posts that may help

IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg

5. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Posted my own thread without luck so far, so figured I would post here:

So, like many, I've been all over the board with what I want to go with. Was going to go with the Icon's but since most of my offroad ventures tend to be on rocky terrain, I don't think I can justify the added cost of these since they really shine at higher speeds (desert runs, etc).

I'm thinking that the OME (885s) will be my best best. I just had the newest tsb done to eliminate the 0-15mph vibration (completely new leaf packs). Originally I was thinking of getting the spacers and Dakar rears for a full 3" as I do tow a 4k-5k camper (for the record, I towed it with the new leaf packs last weekend and there was no noticeable sag with my weight distribution hitch setup). Obviously if I went that route, I would be getting LR UCAs as well. That would roughly be ~$1750.

Here is where my questions come in. Being that my leaf pack is new and I only tow every other weekend during the spring-fall, should I go with the Toytec 1.5" AAL? From my research, I would then have no need for the spacers or UCAs as I would be at ~2.5" of lift (which seems to be the cutoff for a properly aligned rig with stock UCAs) and the cost would drop down to ~$825. I could then replace with Dakars, spacers and UCAs when the stock leaf packs wear out.

Don't want to seem cheap here but by sitting about .5" lower, I can save $925.

Any and all responses are encouraged.

Thanks

6. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Have you considered adding the Dakar AAL ?

7. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Also, I know per OZ to get the collar pins...do I need the superbumps as well or will the stock bumpstops perform okay?

8. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    nastyneight

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    08 4DR S-Bed
    White Truck
    Would adding the AAL level it some more? I dont care if its stiffer if it will help ill do it. Is the shackle flip worth it

9. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

The AAL will raise the rear about 1" and add capacity

10. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    nastyneight

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    08 4DR S-Bed
    White Truck
    after looking into it any brand? i looked at wheelers and there were many different ones, or just get the OME AAL?

11. Apr 2, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

You have a 2nd gen and Dakars right ?

The only AAL you can use with them is the OME d29xl

12. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    whatever it is proof is in the pic, one side has more arch then the other and switching them made the truck level and everything was torqued the same the second time as the first time. there was no over tightened shackle or loose bolts. Not sure why but it is what it is :)

13. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM
    Gincoma

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:

Here's a better pic of them being different this is what I posted month ago....clearly the overloads are different which made a difference leveling my truck

14. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Take a pic of them on the truck showing the rear of the leaf packs

15. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM
    Gincoma

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:

I'll post that tomorrow when I have better light...I'll share this pic with arb and show them the difference in the overloads from one side to another and see what they say

16. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Sure

You don't seem to be grasping that the arch is not different in the area 3" on either side of the centre pin which is where the leafs are bearing on the overloads when the truck is unloaded , therefore the difference in arch beyond this point can't effect ride height

17. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM
    Gincoma

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:

You are correct but your also not seeing where I'm coming from it's very hard to explain trust me I know where your coming from but it made a difference switching them...I mean the lean bothered me so much I redid everything and switched them and problem solved...I'm not sure how to explain my point without you physically there showing you...like I said pic is proof showing a difference which made a difference I don't know how else to explain...I guess this topic can go into the categories of Bigfoot...who knows lol

18. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I'm in no way doubting that you lean improved after you did your switch , I just can't see how it could be the upper overloads , that's why I suggested it was a shackle of similar

Essentially when the truck is unloaded , and the overloads not in use , they might as well be 2 , 1/2" thick blocks , the middle 6-8" section of the overloads is the same thickness

19. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM
    Gincoma

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    Let's just say those 5 top leafs have more to travel on the one that has more arch to make full contact with each other vs the one with less arch to make full contact from tip to tip cause it's bent down more it's not seeing the overload as soon as the one with less arch....man it's difficult explaining this lol but it's only logical explanation unless you got another theory on why switching sides made the truck level

20. Apr 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Sure , a difference in the arch of the upper overload would result in a difference in the point that each leaf pack engaged the overload and would alter the travel accordingly

That has no bearing on the ride height of the truck when it is sitting still and unloaded because the leafs only contact the middle of the overloads where they are a common thickness

To Top