1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. May 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    I run poly bushings at both ends, the factory ones tend to push out within the eyelet so they are no longer centered. This makes it so the eyelet rubs against the tabs making it metal on metal. Since switching over to poly I have had zero issues and the difference from the rubber ones in terms of ride, handling and articulation is unnoticeable. 10k miles on the poly bushings and so far they are holding up great and IMO are much better than the factory ones.

My vote goes for poly on both the shackle and non shackle side.

Just wanted to provide my feedback and personal experience since I have tried both.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. May 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Done.

No pics or measurements atm. Did entire install without help. I was expecting the UCA bolt to be much more difficult than it was, only thing no one else mentions was that I had to cut the tape holding the airbag wire to slide it out of the way.

Dakars were a bit difficult to do myself. I set the front end first and bolted into place, then using the stock bottle jack put enough downward pressure on the back to pull the shackle side onehanded and slam the bolt in. While everything was bolted but loose I put the u-bolts in place.

Up front was quite simple once I got pissed and pulled the sway bar out completely. I pulled UCA, then pulled coilover assy. Replaced coilover and while basically in the wheel well stabilized the whole wheel area with one hand (to prevent the break lines and data lines from doing funny things) and leaned on the LCA to slip the bottom of the shock into place. Bolt went in, torqued down, done. Put the UCAs on, drivers side bolt went back in easier in the factory orientation, passenger side went in the opposite way, just due to the way I had to fight it out. Reconnected ball joint, and torqued everything down. I had to guess on the torque for the back stud on the coilovers due to not being able to get a torque wrench to it.

Total time spent was about 3 hours yesterday due to 20% chance of rain being 100% chance when you really need to get something done. Finished everything up today with about 6 more hours.

List of tools used: Air impact
    150lb clicker and beam torque wrench
    10mm socket
    12mm socket
    14mm socket/wrench
    17mm socket/wrench
    19mm and/or 3/4" wrenches and sockets
    21mm socket
    22mm socket
    1 1/4" socket
    3x Jack Stand
    1x Floor Jack
    1x factory bottle jack
    1x hammer brand hammer (for hammering)
    1x Pry Bar
    Pair of channel locks
    Needle Nosed Pliers
    Knife
    PB Blaster
    2x concrete paver
    2x concrete block (as chocks)
    1x dose of your friends are all busy so man the fuck up and get this done

3. May 24, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    99civ

99civ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    OME 885x w/Dakars - HIDs - Husky Mudflaps - LED Dome/Map/Reverse Lights - Illuminated 4x4 switch
    The consensus around here is to go with 0° toe and camber and as close to 3° of caster. I have 265/70 and I have zero rubbing issues

4. May 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Asked the question here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/141055-old-man-emu-setups-1st-gen-59.html

But figured I could ask it here too. Just installed the Dakar leafs and noticed a huge driver side lean. Always had one but this is more. I installed the "+" leaf on the driver side and the "0" leaf on the passenger side IAW OME instructions but still a very sharp ~.5-1.5" lean. Its very noticeable looking at the truck and also when driving (feels like driving on the side of a hill).

5. May 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    Washington

Washington Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma TRD off-road
    Stealth Custom Series- Stealth 6 wheels, 285/70-17 Goodyear Duratracs, Allpro stainless extended brake lines, Dakar rear leaf springs, Light racing upper control arms, OME 887 front coils, OME 90000 front struts, OME 60091 rear shocks, BPF front skid plate, CB radio, Shovel mount in bed rail, 30" LED light bar in front bumper, Rear Diff lock anytime relay mod, Diff breather mod
    Thanks, was hoping to hear some input from a 285/70-17 guy that knows their alignment specs. BUT I guess I need to put my truck back on the rack and readjust caster and camber and see if that makes a difference.

6. May 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    How often and how hard are you offroading in your truck? If you're not flexing hard very often then the poly bushings won't get much lateral stress. Since you're a prerunner I'm guessing you're mostly on the road? Also what year? It's different for 1st gens vs 2nd gens

7. May 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Do you have the trim packer in the front to help? That's a pretty big lean you have, haven't seen that big of a lean posted on 2nd gens.

8. May 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    sgscholla

sgscholla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reston VA
    Vehicle:
    13 Sport 4x4 DCSB.
    Pyrite on Bronze
    is there a way to get 1.5-2" of lift with a full OME set up including dakars?

9. May 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Front or rear

10. May 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    sgscholla

sgscholla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reston VA
    Vehicle:
    13 Sport 4x4 DCSB.
    Pyrite on Bronze
    Both.. I'd like to keep the stock stance just elevate 2" max with OME. I don't want to alter stock geometry too much...

11. May 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    Get 884 coils and take a leaf out of the Dakars...

12. May 27, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yep

13. May 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    2nd gen and so yes they are different, this is my experience with 2nd gen only.

14. May 29, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Any one have a double cab with a hybrid bumper and a skid with 885s?
    I have only had my lift on for a couple of months and plan on adding those above.
    Just wondering how it looks/rides/sits.
    Just trying to avoid getting 886s right now if possible.

15. May 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Its a 1st gen and I just ordered the 1/4" Toytec coil top spacer. The driver side front fender is a bit more than 1" lower than the passenger side. I hoped the leafs would help but I feel it made things worse :notsure:.

16. May 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Anybody?

17. May 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    I have a double cab with an all pro plate bumper and winch. Right now I have the 885s on but I have 886s in the garage waiting to go on. It rode a little harsh after the bumper went on, but since has seemed to have settled down to a smoother ride. I am going to put on the 886s to give it a little more height and firmness to match my expos in the rear. Its definitely pushing the weight of what the 885s are intended for. I am also running full skids.

18. May 29, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice to know, thanks for the response.

19. May 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I don't believe the 885's were intended to hold the weight of a plate bumper. I guess you can test it out by hanging some weight on front of your truck.

20. Jun 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    NoSilverBullet

NoSilverBullet N60 member

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    I'm just wondering if anyone has pictures or measurements of their Tacoma with 884 coils and a full Dakar leaf pack?

I'm considering this for my 4 cyl 4wd AccessCab. I don't mind having a couple inch of rake front to back, but wouldn't want too much either. The truck has a tow hitch and is getting a fiberglass canopy/topper, sliders and aluminum skid plates. That's probably around 450 lb of constant weight.

Thanks in advance for any info!

To Top