Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1321
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, quick question:

I'm wanting about 2" of lift on my '13 DCSB OR (so I don't have to mess with UCA's and I want to run 265/75 tires), so I'm thinking about doing the Full OME setup up front with 884x springs, and doing and Icon progressive AAL in the back. Would this give me the 2" I'm looking for?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #1322
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMan View Post
2 threads is plenty. Just make sure you're using locknuts or threadlock
The factory installation doesn't, and the OME U-bolts don't, either.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #1323
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post

I'm wanting about 2" of lift on my '13 DCSB OR (so I don't have to mess with UCA's and I want to run 265/75 tires), so I'm thinking about doing the Full OME setup up front with 884x springs, and doing and Icon progressive AAL in the back. Would this give me the 2" I'm looking for?
Should be right around 2 inches
Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #1324
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It's not a full OME set up without Dakars

Just sayin

And yes , 2"
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #1325
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It's not a full OME set up without Dakars

Just sayin

And yes , 2"
That's why I specified "in the front" - meaning that I'm going with shocks and springs. Thank you, though.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #1326
NCTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
NCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So, 2" or less, you don't need uca's?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #1327
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTacoma View Post
So, 2" or less, you don't need uca's?
under 2" you should be safe with out uca's. 2.5" and up is a little iffy, some folks here got their alignment okay at 2.5" with out uca's. I went ahead and bought uca's just to be safe.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1328
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's why I specified "in the front" - meaning that I'm going with shocks and springs. Thank you, though.
OZ and I agree, put the Dakars in. AAL is better than blocks, but it isn't the best. I just had 1000 lbs in my bed and the Dakars didn't flinch.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #1329
Carmaniac is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Carmaniac's Tacoma Gallery
I too am having this issue. Pretty depressing really, expecting to have a better ride, then spend the time and money, and you have to go SLOWER over normal bumps in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
What kind of lift are you getting with the 885s and spacer? I run the 886s (no spacer, no added weight for a year) on my 2011 DCLB. I left the sway bar in place. Never did I feel I was maxing out the travel of the struts.

Did you put in the diff drop? Once you go over 2" in lift, you really risk trashing your CVs at full extension if you haven't taken precautions to ensure you do not violate safe working geometry.

I suppose you could install a nicer unit like the Fox remote reservoirs, with a little more travel built in. All that high-speed stuff is way over my head. I'm not sure about the Gen 3, but Gen 1 A-Arms didn't have a "maximum extension". They would keep rotating down until something broke, generally the strut bottomed out or the ball joints got thrashed.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1330
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
I wanted some dakars but don't have the cash right now. Went with a 2" AAL for now. But can't wait to get rid of these junk leaf packs. My truck squats with my Mt. bike in the back
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1331
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmaniac View Post
I too am having this issue. Pretty depressing really, expecting to have a better ride, then spend the time and money, and you have to go SLOWER over normal bumps in the road.

What's your current setup?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #1332
Horsebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
OZ and I agree, put the Dakars in. AAL is better than blocks, but it isn't the best. I just had 1000 lbs in my bed and the Dakars didn't flinch.
The dakars add a few hundred more dollars. Plus, wouldn't they be lifting the back of the truck to correlate with a full 3" lift up front? I don't want much if any rake, and the bed will be empty about 95% of the time I own it.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #1333

Quote:
The dakars add a few hundred more dollars. Plus, wouldn't they be lifting the back of the truck to correlate with a full 3" lift up front? I don't want much if any rake, and the bed will be empty about 95% of the time I own it.
Damned near. OZ might know better. I went with 886s in the front and Dakars out back for 2".

The problem with AAL is you're still utilizing the stock (shit) factory springs.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #1334
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In your case I would go with the progressive 3 leaf AAL too
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #1336
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Also if you want a level look but a new leaf pack.....to avoid the sagging and shitty load capacity of the stockers.......Look at the IRONMAN lift leaf packs. Sierra Expeditions sells them. 2" lift over stock and I believe they sell different leaf packs of varying load capacity and stiffness. I toyed with that idea for awhile.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #1337
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
ok i have two questions....one, what are the 885x? is tht the same as the 885? and two, this is for a majority of people out there including myself but, what are the pros and cons of ome lift and toytec lift with 5100s? what are the big differences of the two? thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #1338
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
ok i have two questions....one, what are the 885x? is tht the same as the 885? and two, this is for a majority of people out there including myself but, what are the pros and cons of ome lift and toytec lift with 5100s? what are the big differences of the two? thanks
885x replaced the 885 & fixed the sag problem.
OME Pros:
Shocks & springs were designed, tested & refined to work well together.
Lift achieved without preloading the coils.
Great lift for a reasonable price.
Great ride on & off road.

OME Cons:
None that I can think of.

5100 Pros:
Cost a little less.

5100 Cons:
Preload coils to achieve more than 1.6" of lift.
Ride quality due to preloaded coils.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1339

^^^ What he said
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #1340
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!

Took my truck in for alignment after installing dakar leaf springs w/aal and the guy said I installed my toytec 3deg shim backwards. I swear I researched the correct direction before install but I need confirmation. Should the skinny side of the wedge face toward the front of the truck or toward the back of the truck?

Products Discussed in this Thread