Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #1341
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
Took my truck in for alignment after installing dakar leaf springs w/aal and the guy said I installed my toytec 3deg shim backwards. I swear I researched the correct direction before install but I need confirmation. Should the skinny side of the wedge face toward the front of the truck or toward the back of the truck?
skinny towards the front.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #1342
fbj913 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
fbj913's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Ok, so far the lift is installed and the alignment is complete. I now have 3 problems...
1.-Small vibe through the steering wheel and pedals at around 30-40 mph. Switch to 4 Hi and it's gone. I'm assuming it's some weird front angle with the bearings or CV shafts.
2.-I've got a popping noise at full steer, both directions. This one bothers me. Anyone experience this?
3.-Popping noise when going over large bumps in the front. I'm thinking this is a fully extended issue. The 886's are pretty stiff and I have no front bumper weight.
I won't have time to diagnose until Monday.
1. vibes are getting less and less predominate. i'm going to give it some time to see if the suspension settles just enough to eliminate the vibes completely. it goes away on the highway so that's a plus.

2. popping noise was the wheels weights hitting the sway bar at full steer. so nothing to worry about there...

3. i'm pretty sure the idiots that did my alignment didn't get the passenger side done correctly. i think its pulling in because the angle is still out of spec. i'm going to take it to another shop and see if they do a better job. i also think a front bumper would help keep the springs a little compressed. with no weight they are pretty stiff!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #1343
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i also think a front bumper would help keep the springs a little compressed. with no weight they are pretty stiff!
Good to hear some of the issues are ironing themselves out. The springs will break in some as they wear in, even before you put the bumper on. I'm considering pulling the sway bar completely to see how the truck corners and handles bumps without it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #1344
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Good to hear some of the issues are ironing themselves out. The springs will break in some as they wear in, even before you put the bumper on. I'm considering pulling the sway bar completely to see how the truck corners and handles bumps without it.
been running my truck w/o a sway bar for years. only added it back for a spell to reduce the travel w/ 35s.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1345
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
skinny towards the front.
Great! Thanks! That's the way I installed them
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1346
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
been running my truck w/o a sway bar for years. only added it back for a spell to reduce the travel w/ 35s.
Doesn't lean to much while cornering? Added flex over rocks and offroad?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #1347
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Doesn't lean to much while cornering? Added flex over rocks and offroad?
added flex for sure. depends on how aggressive you take turns as to how much body roll you get. normal driving you cant tell. test it out and see. doesnt take long to put it back on if you dont like it.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #1348

Quote:
added flex for sure. depends on how aggressive you take turns as to how much body roll you get. normal driving you cant tell. test it out and see. doesnt take long to put it back on if you dont like it.
Awesome! Can't wait to try it out
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #1349
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
885x replaced the 885 & fixed the sag problem.
OME Pros:
Shocks & springs were designed, tested & refined to work well together.
Lift achieved without preloading the coils.
Great lift for a reasonable price.
Great ride on & off road.

OME Cons:
None that I can think of.

5100 Pros:
Cost a little less.

5100 Cons:
Preload coils to achieve more than 1.6" of lift.
Ride quality due to preloaded coils.
so where do i get the 885x?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #1351
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
so where do i get the 885x?
ordered mine from DSM, but toytec says they have them. others got them from wheelers too, IIRC.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #1353
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
so this kit doesnt come with the 885x?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72
you'd have to verify w/ them.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #1355
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery

My ome kit arrived this morning! came with 885x front springs!! thanks again to Headstrongoffroad.com!!!! just waiting on my UCAs which should arrive tomorrow!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #1356
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
All 884,5,6 coils sold now should be the " x " type

OME introduced them in 2010 IIRC
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1357
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so this kit doesnt come with the 885x?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72
Quote:
you'd have to verify w/ them.
Quote:
ok gotcha. thanks man
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTec Lifts View Post
We do have 885x just to clarify.
Quote:
Do you have any of the "older" springs in stock? That's a big concern for a lot of folks looking to install the OME kits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTec Lifts View Post
No just the new springs.
ToyTec says all they have are the X coils
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacorunner View Post

My ome kit arrived this morning! came with 885x front springs!! thanks again to Headstrongoffroad.com!!!! just waiting on my UCAs which should arrive tomorrow!!!
You're going to fall in love with your truck all over again.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #1359
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Question for you folks running Dakars:

If I ordered from Toytec, who say that the Dakars are "2 1/2" lift complete rear springs priced each with bushings", then the only additional part I would need (besides longer rear shocks, obviously) to run this leaf pack would be the OME U-Bolts, which are the item listed on this page as "U-Bolt Set for OME Leaf Springs", correct? In other words, Toytec sends Dakars with the correct OME bushings to run this leaf pack, and longer U-Bolts are the only other needed part?

I would probably get the 3/8'' CB Drop Kit also.

Matt
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #1360
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Question for you folks running Dakars:

If I ordered from Toytec, who say that the Dakars are "2 1/2" lift complete rear springs priced each with bushings", then the only additional part I would need (besides longer rear shocks, obviously) to run this leaf pack would be the OME U-Bolts, which are the item listed on this page as "U-Bolt Set for OME Leaf Springs", correct? In other words, Toytec sends Dakars with the correct OME bushings to run this leaf pack, and longer U-Bolts are the only other needed part?

I would probably get the 3/8'' CB Drop Kit also.

Matt
Yep, pretty sure toytec includes the bushings, that and u-bolts and you should be all set. If you are doing axle shims you will need the center pin collars. It is a good idea to install them even if you are not using shims because you might need to add shims later, the CB drop doesn't always solve vibration issues. Check the shipping an handling charges, i think toytec lists the dakars at $400 plus shipping/handling. Down south motorsports sells them for $500 shipped, i think that includes u-bolts, DSM does not included rear bushings for the leafs, only front.

Products Discussed in this Thread