1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. May 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    n8dizzlehk91

n8dizzlehk91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    magnetic grey metalic TRD off road
    none yet
    does anybody know the torque specs on the nuts? for the lower control arms connecting to the knuckle and struts... everywhere i look its different they said its 75ft/lbs to 118ft/lbs??? it really got me confused, i just bought the complete ome with rear darkars and 885 coils for my 2010 double cab

2. May 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    TicoTRD

TicoTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tico
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM SR5 AC
    so what kind and size tires do you recommend? i really want 285s....

3. May 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    redcbs

redcbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road AT
    Full 3" OME Lift, Sport Shocks with top plate spacers and 885 coils, Light Racing UCA, Sport shocks and Dakar leaf springs, Avid Light bar, Avid Step rails, Grillcraft grille with 70's Land Cruiser emblem, custom vinyl stickers, window tint, selective debadging, fog light anytime mod
    What nuts specifically? Keep in mind some torque specs are while there is no load on the suspension and then you torque again to final specs once the suspension is loaded

4. May 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    n8dizzlehk91

n8dizzlehk91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    magnetic grey metalic TRD off road
    none yet
    i believe its the lower shock mount bolt and the 3 upper shock mount nuts??? sorry im a truck newby but i think i found a thread on it but thanks for trying to help

5. May 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    redcbs

redcbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road AT
    Full 3" OME Lift, Sport Shocks with top plate spacers and 885 coils, Light Racing UCA, Sport shocks and Dakar leaf springs, Avid Light bar, Avid Step rails, Grillcraft grille with 70's Land Cruiser emblem, custom vinyl stickers, window tint, selective debadging, fog light anytime mod
    Upper bolts to 47ft-lbs. Temporarily tighten the lower nut with no load. After reinstalling the sway bar (52ft-lbs) and putting the truck back on the wheels, tighten the lower nut to 61ft-lbs. All torques according to shop manual. Check after 15 miles and every so often afterwards

6. May 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Good luck getting a torque wrench to fit for the top three. Just use the German system: Gudentite.

7. May 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    If you have to have that width find a tire around 31-31 1/2". That's how the aloha boys used to do it.

8. May 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Yep, i know I couldn't squeeze my torque wrench in for the upper bolts.

9. May 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    The o e closest to the fender won't even accept a 3/8 drive ratchet w/ deep well.

10. May 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I use the "feel technique" for the top nuts where I tighten and loosen some other bolt to the specified torque to "feel" how much pressure to use and then tighten the top nuts. Seemed to have worked out fine. 35K+ miles on my 09 and 25K+ miles on my 11 with no loosening.

11. May 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    250k on my 95 using the German method, never an issue.

12. May 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    redcbs

redcbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road AT
    Only one that have me trouble was the driverside in the back. Otherwise the harbor freight 3/8 wrench worked like a champ.

13. May 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Just finished dicking with the 13mm spacer. Got it installed, got back 1" of lift in the front. :yay:

14. May 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    So I've read through several different threads, including all 81 pages of this thread. I now have more questions than I did originally, and since this is the everything OME question spot...here it goes.

I guess I should start by letting you all know my plans and intended use. I currently have the 885x springs that I bought from another user on here unused. I also went ahead and invested in the LR UCA. I figured I ought to get that before everything else so that I don't cheap out and jump the gun once I have everything else. It seems like the consensus is that it will be easier to install the front assembly with the UCA removed.

I don't plan on doing any wheeling just for the fun of it, but I do go to some remote hunting spots. The current suspension works just fine for where I go, but it would be nice to have the extra height. No one wants to get stuck in the middle of no where, especially where cell phones don't work. I'm planning on keeping the factory sport wheels and wrapping them in either 265/70 or 275/70/17 rubbers. For what it's worth, I do have a MetalMiller front skid (offers same coverage as factory skid, but 3/16" steel) and Relentless sliders.

I had originally planned on going full OME all around. Then I see some people using the extended 5100s for extra travel. I'm curious if there are any advantages to extended 5100s in the rear vs. the ome? The OME seems to be about $25 more. I spoke to Robert at Headstrong and he informed me that due to the shock body length, the suspension will hit the factory bumpstops with the OME shocks, but the Extended Bilsteins will probably bottom out before hitting the bumpstops and cause damage. I haven't looked at extended bumpstops yet. I'm wondering if it would be better to get the Bilstein Extended travel shocks and extended bumpstops or OME 60091 and retain factory bumpstops.

I have the TSB rear leaf pack. I'm going to wait until I have everything, but I'm surprised no one has asked how the truck would look with the front lifted and the rear on TSB springs. So, how stupid would it look to install the front before the rear? anyone have pics?

I do have a "hum" between 55-60 MPH, especially when decelerating. Anyone else notice this before lifting? If so, did it get better or worse once lifted?

Did we ever figure out what causes the thud/clunk/clank that happens when people go over speed bumps? I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but it seems like it's a 50/50 chance. I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

What the heck is MYA?

15. May 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    redcbs

redcbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road AT
    Lol I was the same way.

That said, I am running OME all the way around, including 885s and Dakars. Also invested in LR UCA to correct alignment and gain some more clearance. (UCA install was probably the part with the most cursing, so be prepared. Or buy two new bolts and cut those suckers off)

I run 275/70/17 BFG AT and am very happy with them. I was worried that they would look too small with the truck lifted but I am very satisfied with how they came out. I think the factory size would look too small, imo.

I have the OME sport shock on the back with factory bumps. With the Dakars though, it's hard to believe I'd hit the stop. Someone else I'm sure will chime in.

I also had the TSB before lifting. After lifting with the Dakars and 885's, the truck sits level/slightest of rakes. If I had left the TSB, I'd be full Bro lean. (I have doublecab 4x4 and Avid steel light bar for weight comparison).

Don't really remember a hum, I have vibes on takeoff and around 60mph now, but very slight. I have the CB drop and no shims.

I don't have the clank with the sport shocks.

Good Luck! :D

16. May 25, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I will probably cut the bolt and use a new one. I know people say it's no big deal, but i don't want to bend the metal if i don't have to.

I'm pretty sure I've seen OZ-T state no rubbing with 275/70/17s. have you had any? I'm going bigger regardless, but i might stick with the same width. that'll come down to price and availability.

I'm waiting to do it all because the bro lean looks retarded IMO.

are the sport shocks the 90000, or is there a different part number?

nice truck by the way. I like the color!

anyone else experience the hum prior to lifting?

and what the heck is MYA?

17. May 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Where's that lousy Canadian OZ to answer these questions? I'm on OME Dakars, Nitros, and factory bumps which can allow the spring to achieve negative arch during severe flex or under extreme load. OZ and I agree, that's no good. At some point I will add in the Wheelers extended bumps. I am in no way concerned about damaging the shock in compression as is, but if I overextend the shock is going to bottom out. If you are going to run those extended Billies you NEED the extended bump or risk destroying your nice new shiny shocks under full load (as well as put the spring into negative arch). On the other hand you'll be able to jump your truck and not damage the rear shocks.

The choice is yours depending on what you're going to do. Either way extended bumps are recommended. Sounded like you weren't going to enter the next Baja 1000, so I would stick with the OMEs.

While I was putting in the 13mm spacers yesterday I noticed that the PS strut came back from the shop (had to compress and install new extended studs) and the spring wasn't perfectly centered. My theory is that with the stock UCA the spring hits it when the front extends, which is when most guys mentioned having the clank (going over speed bumps). My 886 was actually in contact with my UCA at full extension while the truck was jacked up. You get more clearance from the aftermarkets UCAs, thus no contact, and no clank. I may have to go that route soon.

18. May 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What's going on in mya ?

19. May 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I have the local 4wheelparts shop telling me that the OME kit from Toytec is only a 2" lift in front and 2.5" in the rear. That's not what I'm seeing here, it's more 2.5" front and 3" in the rear with the Dakars. If I do get this kit, I plan on adding the spacers to get a full 3" lift in the front. Is he full of crap? He's trying to get me to look at a Fabtech kit he's having put on a Tacoma this week. Not sure if he's just trying to get me to spend more money on something else or not.

20. May 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I got 2 1/2" of front lift with 885's on my DCLB 4x4

To Top