Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #1521
Baja runner
SEMAtaco is on a distinguished road
SEMAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
Hey everyone.

I just bought my OME kit with 886/9000 Nitrochargers up front, N182 and ToyTec AAL in the back.

Is this something I can install myself? I haven't had much experience wrenching vehicles outside of changing tires, oil and a few minor mods here and there. Or should I seek the advice of a professional?

I don't currently have new UCAs. Should I hold off on installing it until I get those, or can I run it as-is for a while and then upgrade the UCAs when I have a little more jingle in my pocket? (bathroom renovation gets in the way of everything)

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: The coils are already assembled as I bought them off a guy on here.
Do you have additional weight like an aftermarket bumper and winch? The 886 coils are designed for over 200 lbs additional weight on the front end without that weight the ride will be awful stiff and you could damage front end components from too much lift. You will not be able to set your front alignment either which will wear tires too.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #1522
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMAtaco View Post
Do you have additional weight like an aftermarket bumper and winch? The 886 coils are designed for over 200 lbs additional weight on the front end without that weight the ride will be awful stiff and you could damage front end components from too much lift. You will not be able to set your front alignment either which will wear tires too.
I put 886s in mine with no weight for over a year. Slightly stiff (corner like a race car) but otherwise rode fine. They don't make the lift higher without the extra weight, it's still right about 2". The difference is that they are harder to compress in order to take the extra weight. It's not at all like a coilover where the spring is pre compressed in the strut to make lift.

He won't have a hard time getting an alignment unless he adds the spacers and pushes over 2". Again, I put in 886 and not a problem getting aligned.

As far as the spacers go: read back a couple of pages. We just had this discussion.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #1523
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
886s should yield a little more lift compared to 885s, even disregarding spring rate 886s are 6mm longer IIRC. Which means without extra weight they should yield 1/4-1/2" more lift than 885s. Its suprising you only got about 2" of lift with 886s, i ended up at or a little over 2.5" of lift with 885s no top plate spacers.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #1524
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
886s should yield a little more lift compared to 885s, even disregarding spring rate 886s are 6mm longer IIRC. Which means without extra weight they should yield 1/4-1/2" more lift than 885s. Its suprising you only got about 2" of lift with 886s, i ended up at or a little over 2.5" of lift with 885s no top plate spacers.
Yes
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #1525
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ok, half an inch, maybe 3/4 if we want to be safe. Didn't encounter any ride, vibes, or alignment issues. And now nowhere near those numbers all armored up.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #1526
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Ok, half an inch, maybe 3/4 if we want to be safe. Didn't encounter any ride, vibes, or alignment issues. And now nowhere near those numbers all armored up.
Nice, you are one of the lucky ones. Now with full armor 2" sounds about right. Just wanted to clarify in my previuos post, there is alot of misinformation on OME lifts, not necessarily on this site, but alot of vendors still refer to a OME lift as a 2" lift, even with 886s.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1528

Quote:
Nice, you are one of the lucky ones. Now with full armor 2" sounds about right. Just wanted to clarify in my previuos post, there is alot of misinformation on OME lifts, not necessarily on this site, but alot of vendors still refer to a OME lift as a 2" lift, even with 886s.
The rear sits 1 1/2" higher than the front now. Friggin old 886s. When those 13mm spacers show up my rake should be 1/2-3/4"... Perfection
Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #1529
buffalojay is on a distinguished road

buffalojay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You'll get your 2", and probably a little more. The tires will work on stock wheels. If you start messing with the offset of the wheels that changes the game. UCAs not necessary unless you cannot get the front end realigned properly, in which case you'll need them. A lot of guys do them anyway when installing the lift. I couldn't tell you the difference in the shocks. Also consider the front spring in regards to additional weight you might add ( bumpers, skids, etc) or already have.
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on messing with the offset would that be something I'd have to do if I put that size of tire on?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #1530

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojay View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on messing with the offset would that be something I'd have to do if I put that size of tire on?
Offset is a whole different beast. If you're on stock wheels you can safely run a ~32" tire so long as it is 10" or less in width. You may get a little rub at full compression and full steer up front, but no problems daily driving. For example, I couldn't go any bigger or wider without serious problems on the trail.

Aftermarket wheels sometimes require a BS to clear the rotors or calipers, etc., and it's best to consult the wheel gurus to ensure proper fitment.

If you couldn't tell, wheel and tire sizing isn't my forte.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #1531
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Yes.
Not trying to bust your balls but you never answered my question , at 1 3/4" off the stock bumps and sitting on the OME overloads , weren't you putting your leafs into negative arch and risking something similar to this issue ?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho...84#post6897284
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #1532

I dont think the nitros can bottom out before hitting the bumpstops.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #1533

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont think the nitros can bottom out before hitting the bumpstops.
With the the Dakar leafs on the overloads , and still 1 3/4" off the stock bumps , the leafs have to be in negative arch , no ?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
With the the leafs on the overloads , and still 1 3/4" off the stock bumps , the leafs have to be in negative arch , no ?
Ya sounds about right. I have put mine in negative arch, but thats when flexing them, not a constant load. The title of the thread you linked was shock bottoming out, i thought that is what you were talking about...i didn't read the thread
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #1535

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya sounds about right. I have put mine in negative arch, but thats when flexing them, not a constant load. The title of the thread you linked was shock bottoming out, i thought that is what you were talking about...i didn't read the thread
I was talking about both points

The reason I went to the Superbumps was to keep from going into neg arch
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1536

Quote:
I was talking about both points

The reason I went to the Superbumps was to keep from going into neg arch
According to this thread (i don't know how accurate this info is) the rear nitrochargers have about the same collapsed length as the factory rear shocks. I have been on the bumpstops with the factory suspension and had no damage to the shocks. So i don't think the shocks are at risk but putting leaf springs into negative arch probably reduces the life of them and will lead to sagging.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #1537

Quote:
According to this thread (i don't know how accurate this info is) the rear nitrochargers have about the same collapsed length as the factory rear shocks. I have been on the bumpstops with the factory suspension and had no damage to the shocks. So i don't think the shocks are at risk but putting leaf springs into negative arch probably reduces the life of them and will lead to sagging.
Sounds legit to me. Flexing the springs into the negative can happen on the trail, or hauling way too much... But it's best not to let that situation persist. If the spring is loaded into the negative for long duration you begin to effect the memory of the steel, and as you stated, weaken it and reduce its effectiveness. And I would agree, so long as you aren't damaging the shock its not the end of the world to flex down to the bump stop.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #1538

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you lift the rear 3" , shouldn't you raise the bumps a similar amount ?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1539

Quote:
If you lift the rear 3" , shouldn't you raise the bumps a similar amount ?
Sounds good in theory, but I think we'd have to confer with the manufacturer or stress test a set ourselves to get actual data.

At 2" there isn't a ghost fart's chance in hell I'm sticking some silly looking 2" stops on my springs. However, I think the manufacturer would supply them or recommend you buy them if they had a history of problems.

*And then there's the limit on flex you could achieve with giants bumps.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #1540

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds good in theory, but I think we'd have to confer with the manufacturer or stress test a set ourselves to get actual data.

At 2" there isn't a ghost fart's chance in hell I'm sticking some silly looking 2" stops on my springs. However, I think the manufacturer would supply them or recommend you buy them if they had a history of problems.

*And then there's the limit on flex you could achieve with giants bumps.
The Superbumps compress to stock height , the towers may limit some travel

Products Discussed in this Thread