1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cut or Bend...Removing UCA Bolt

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by AllMountainToy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    I've done both. I say bend.

2. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Bend and leave it bent.

You should occasionally remove the bushings for a thorough cleaning and inspection if you play in the muck allot. I flushed mine out with grease plenty of times and even doing that they were very dirty after a little over a year.

I see no gain in destroying perfectly good parts, but to each their own on this one I guess.

3. Jan 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    Exactly!

4. May 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    uncleART

uncleART Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    3" Toytec ULK 285/75-16 BFG KO2 Verge FN Wheels DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, BFG KO2 285/75-16, FNWheels Verge, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR, C4 Fabrication Lo-Pro Bumper, Relentless Fab Frame Reinforcements, Warn 9.5XP-S Winch, Baja Designs S8 20" Lighbar, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray, Odessey 35-PC1400 Batteries, BlueSea ML-ACR
    Thanks for the info and opinions. My lift kit with UCAs is on the way. I'm trying to do all of my homework...

5. Apr 24, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    urchim

urchim Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2016 TRD Offroad Inferno
    i assume this will apply to 2016 models too.

6. Apr 26, 2017 at 3:16 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Maybe. 2006 Here and I Bend.

@darktaco posted a good technique on the first page.

My advice, get it started. Once you see how much you need to clear you can decide which is for you.

If you bend then you will know how to put the bolts back in so they can't fall out by Gravity!
    If you cut you will likely stick them back backwards. Better make sure that nut stays tight!

You don't cut fenders for 32's

7. Apr 26, 2017 at 3:18 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    They assemble it before the fenders go on. We are taking it apart in reverse order.

8. Apr 26, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    urchim

urchim Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2016 TRD Offroad Inferno
    Sounds good will try, worse case scenario spend 12 bucks on bolt and install it other way around.

9. Apr 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    loginfailed

loginfailed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4WD
    I bent the inner fender a little then tapped it back with a hammer afterward.

10. May 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM
    JBCjr

JBCjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phila
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunnerTRD
    I went with cutting and installing from the rear with two new bolts and nuts @ $24. Even if I bent and went from the front, I felt reusing the bolts and nuts vs $24 wasn't peace of mind. I did use red loctite.

My new JBA UCA,s for un-lifted Tacoma.

image.jpg

11. Apr 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Elshopper

Elshopper Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma 2wd
    Ok so Im having a little trouble, Bend and taking bolt out I'm hitting it with a hammer and used a 3 inch bolt to push further, already past the first bushing but the bolt still is really tight
    Like I need to hammer it all the way out. Is this normal or my bolt seized?

12. Apr 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Is your UCA disconnected from your spindle?

13. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Elshopper

Elshopper Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma 2wd
    Yeah it's disconnected, just went to harbor freight for a cheap long reach punch set, hopefully that will push the bolt all the way through. If not then I guess I'm gonna have to cut it

14. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I cut them to remove and installed the bolt backwards with Loctite and did a double nut. Honestly, I feel it's safer to do that and inspect them periodically over trusting gravity for my peace of mind.

15. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Youll be pounding all the way out.

16. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Ive considered having a bolt machined so both sides are threaded and have a castle style nut with cotter pin on each side.
    This way removal would be tap one way remove side and tap back the other way to remove other side.
    This may only work with hiem pivot uppers though...

Key-Rei likes this.
  17. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    I bent, were I to do it again (and I may need to in the future to replace bushings) I would have cut.

I also reinstalled the bolts the same way they go in factory, (front to rear) my reasoning was if they come loose gravity and vibration will keep the bolt in place that way even without the nut, however upon reconsideration after the fact, I've never seen one that was torqued properly come loose. Also I used vibratite on the nut further reducing likelihood of loosing the nut.

I didn't check well enough when I was driving the bolts out and pinched a wire for the front impact crash sensor on the right side of the vehicle, fortunately no broken wires or lights, still the pucker factor was at max multiplier.

So in short, having bent and knowing what a pain it was I vote cut.

18. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    A lot of things make mire sense when you see them put the vehicle together on the line, for instance when they drive the upper A arm bolts in the body is not even in the same vicinity. Makes it pretty easy to put them in then.

Also I think the reason behind front to back installation in this particular application is so if the nut is ever forgotten or vibrates off the bolt will not back out causing a potentially fatal failure.

19. Apr 12, 2018 at 5:42 AM
    Elshopper

Elshopper Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma 2wd
    To give you guys an update, my bolt was bent and that why it was so hard to get it out.
    Did the other side and that one came off almost with just pushing the bolt by hand while moving the uca up and down.
    Went to the dealer for a new bolt 24 dlls just a single bolt and they had to order it. Might as well order it myself online for 16 dlls on ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Nov 23, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    Benny123

Benny123 Kid from the late 70s

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    South Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Speedway Blue Tacoma AC V6 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Replacing everything worn, broken, and rusted.
    Did the passenger side so far and I would agree that bending and using a punch & hammer helps considerably. Also be sure that front washer stays back to by the bushing otherwise it will bind and make your day hell. I'm doing the driver side tomorrow and was considering removing the battery and it appears that might be a good decision

Products Discussed in

To Top