Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Cut or Bend...Removing UCA Bolt

Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
Cut or Bend...Removing UCA Bolt

I have read the two different and both fantastic write ups on the replacement of the UCAs and the UCA bolt by NickLam and Silver06TRD.

I know some have cut the bolt and purchased a new one from toyota and others have bent their wheel well just enough to get the bolt through. I will be replacing my UCAs this weekend.

Want to get an idea from people that have done one or the other.

Easier to:

A. CUT?
B. BEND?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
if im understanding you correctly, i bent.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
superwhite is on a distinguished road
Name: sean
superwhite's Tacoma Gallery
Bend. It's really not that bad. I used a hole saw on my radiator support and slid the bolt straight out the front.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
my trucks a first gen and i have most stuff ripped off the front end so im not sure for your case.
but i just pulled and kicked and it was easy for me at least.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I have done both actually. My experience- cutting was easier and quicker, used a sawzall with a nice metal blade. If you cut on the passanger side it literally takes 2 minutes to remove the UCA and have the new bolt ready to go in. On the drivers side you will still have to move stuff either way if you cut or not. I think i paid $12 a bolt, was it worth it? To me yes, i did the install without any help and basic tools so wherever i could make it easier for myself it was worth it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Scrotie McBoogerballs
armyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rough

armyoffoo's Tacoma Gallery
I bent and put the bolts back in the same way, wasn't that hard but did take a couple of hours.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I bent my wheel wells a little to get mine out and i put them back in the same way too the first time. To make the install easier ground down the washer side to one of the 6 sides of the bolt head. The second i had to remove them the flat side I had made made it way easier to remove. Even my first time removing them I got them out really quickly, just unbolt the bracket that holds the brake line if you put them in from the back instead of the front.

I reinstalled mine the factory way to help cut down on rust buildup on the threads from road salt. Then coated them with black farm equipment paint.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
darktaco is on a distinguished road

darktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Neither

I used a crow bar.
Tap it out until it stops just beyond the pinch weld you bent with the
big channel lock pliers.
I used a 4 inch bolt as a pusher.
Then lift it a bit to put a washer under the bolt head collar .Then keep tapping out.
To reinstall reverse procedure.
I did remove the battery and tray .YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR RADIO PRESETS !
Watch for the lines in the way .Go slow.
Attached Thumbnails
Cut or Bend...Removing UCA Bolt-photo-2-2-small-.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Bend, it was easy. New bolts $12 each.
X2

I bent , but not because I'm too cheap to spend $24 on new bolts but because it wasn't to bad to do
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
X2

I bent , but not because I'm too cheap to spend $24 on new bolts but because it wasn't to bad to do
X3
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Bend bend bend!

I cut one and still had trouble getting it out. Then on the other side I bent the metal with some pliers and had the bolt out in 2 mins.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
B