Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

take off shudder goes away in 4WD

Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
take off shudder goes away in 4WD

All,

I love the ride of the OME I installed and if you have been on the forum the last few days have probably seen a few posts by me due to issues I am having.

Again...I just installed the OME 2.5" lift with .5" toytec spacer and trim packer as well as the Dakars on the rear.

I have NOT taken it to get aligned yet because I am installing new UCA's this weekend.

After installing I began to get a shudder at takeoff then would come and go quickly. I immediately assumed it was the rear driveline and ordered the CB drop and was planning on removing the 3rd leaf in the pack to drop the lift a bit.

HOWEVER...tonight I put it in 4WD and did several stop and starts and there was no shudder!! What gives? I had read a thread some time ago but cannot find it.

Can it be the alignment? I just had tires rotated during my 25k service. I am hoping it is the alignment.

Any input would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

Army: 91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Austin
3RZ Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a dif. drop is needed? idk :/

free bump
Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get too into it until everything is done. Then let the lift settle and get a few thousand miles on it before you go chasing minor vibrations and as mentioned try a diff drop if you didnt put one in.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drop doesn't help any.

Keep in mind in 4x4, torque to the rear axle is reduced by 50%, which means less force on the U-joint bearings and less axle wrap.

What did you torque the rear leaf U-bolts to? Hope it wasn't 37 ft-lb...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Diff drop doesn't help any.

Keep in mind in 4x4, torque to the rear axle is reduced by 50%, which means less force on the U-joint bearings and less axle wrap.

What did you torque the rear leaf U-bolts to? Hope it wasn't 37 ft-lb...
I torqued to about 95 ft lbs. I am about 6lbs over the spec. Would that cause a problem?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBasinTaco View Post
I wouldn't get too into it until everything is done. Then let the lift settle and get a few thousand miles on it before you go chasing minor vibrations and as mentioned try a diff drop if you didnt put one in.
I actually already have a diff drop on that 4WPs put on when they installed the Pro Comp 3 inch lift on the front that I replaced with the OME. Come to think of it...never had the shudder with the Pro Comp lift. BUT I also did not lift the rear only had the TSB.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBasinTaco View Post

Great suggestion by the way.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMountainToy View Post
I torqued to about 95 ft lbs. I am about 6lbs over the spec. Would that cause a problem?
No. The U-bolt spec according to the service manual is in fact 37 ft-lb but appears to be a misprint. 95 ft-lb is fine.

The diff drop is ineffective on 2nd gen Tacos, due to the diff carrier geometry. A 1" diff drop lowers the CV shaft by only about 1/2". Meanwhile your ground clearance is reduced by 1". And the diff carrier can get caught on obstacles off road, causing this to happen: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Get the UCA's in and alignment done , let the lift settle in a bit

Then you need to start checking your driveline angles and correcting as required
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
my mistake. earlier post said diff drop, meant cb drop. don't do a diff drop as stated- worthless.