Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 2.5" lift with 285/70/17 and 4.5" backspace

Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
OME 2.5" lift with 285/70/17 and 4.5" backspace

If you are running 285/70/75s with 4.5" backspace on the OME 2.5" lift (no toytec top spacer) AND have the Cab mount chop and trimming done...

Are you rubbing your fender flares when compressing the front suspension while wheeling or even going in and out of driveways?

Bottom line, I want to know if it is worth taken the lift off to remove the spacers or not. I originally had 2.25" pro comp spacers when I bought the truck new and the tires rubbed the fenders bad. I wondering if 2.5 would rub of if I have to go stay with the full 3".
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I meet all your criteria except i have 4.3 backspacing but they are 8.5 inch wheels. I had to trim the very bottoms of the fender flare to avoid rubbing
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just to make sure i understand, you have OME suspension in the front right now with top plate spacers, and your thinking about taking them off for roughly 1/2" less lift?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Just to make sure i understand, you have OME suspension in the front right now with top plate spacers, and your thinking about taking them off for roughly 1/2" less lift?

correct! thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

I think you should be fine taking them out if you dont rub now then. Stuff the front suspension with the wheel turned as much as you can, see how close you are to the bumpstops. Better yet take off your sway bar temporarily so you can get the wheels stuffed as much as possible. Taking off the spacers shouldnt change how much up travel you have, so if you dont rub now with the tires fully stuffed then you wont rub after you take off the spacers. Why do you want to take them off?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Quote:
I meet all your criteria except i have 4.3 backspacing but they are 8.5 inch wheels. I had to trim the very bottoms of the fender flare to avoid rubbing
how was the fender trimming? I noticed right where the flare is, there is a bolt to secure it the wheel well.

All good and sturdy?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Im not sure where exactly you are talking about. But ya everything is sturdy, trimming didnt change anything with the fender flare as far as sturdyness. The inner wheel well liner is a little floppy from cutting it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Quote:
I think you should be fine taking them out if you dont rub now then. Stuff the front suspension with the wheel turned as much as you can, see how close you are to the bumpstops. Better yet take off your sway bar temporarily so you can get the wheels stuffed as much as possible. Taking off the spacers shouldnt change how much up travel you have, so if you dont rub now with the tires fully stuffed then you wont rub after you take off the spacers. Why do you want to take them off?
I am worried it is a bit too much lift.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OP , didn't you say you settled to a front hub to fender measurement of 24" ?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMountainToy View Post
Correct. It is now just shy have 24. Like 23 7/8
So you essentially have 3 1/2 - 3 3/4" if lift , that's a lot for a 4x4

You could remove your 1/2" spacers and replace them with 1/4" spacers , that would drop you about 1/2"
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have to do the CMC to fit them?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
Did you have to do the CMC to fit them?
Yes. Not only did I have to do the CMC and wheel well trimming, It needed over 2.25" lift.

When I bought the truck from the dealership, it had a 2.25" spacer in the front with this tire and wheel set up. They did have the CMC and proper trimming done but I nearly tore my fender flares off even driving on road going into driveways. They did fix this by installing the Pro Comp 3" lift kit at no cost.

This all brings me to the past week where I installed the OME 2.5" along with the .5" top spacers. This yielded too much lift as noted by OZ-T's reply in this thread. This weekend I am now removing the .5" spacers, installing the .25" spacers and removing the 3rd leaf on the Dakar pack.

So...2.25 was not enough but hoping 2.75 will be just enough. Sorry long reply but wanted you to have the background
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
So you essentially have 3 1/2 - 3 3/4" if lift , that's a lot for a 4x4

You could remove your 1/2" spacers and replace them with 1/4" spacers , that would drop you about 1/2"
good suggestion..Just ordered will arrive tomorrow. We shall see! Thanks again
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMountainToy View Post
Yes. Not only did I have to do the CMC and wheel well trimming, It needed over 2.25" lift.

When I bought the truck from the dealership, it had a 2.25" spacer in the front with this tire and wheel set up. They did have the CMC and proper trimming done but I nearly tore my fender flares off even driving on road going into driveways. They did fix this by installing the Pro Comp 3" lift kit at no cost.

This all brings me to the past week where I installed the OME 2.5" along with the .5" top spacers. This yielded too much lift as noted by OZ-T's reply in this thread. This weekend I am now removing the .5" spacers, installing the .25" spacers and removing the 3rd leaf on the Dakar pack.

So...2.25 was not enough but hoping 2.75 will be just enough. Sorry long reply but wanted you to have the background
Thanks. Just wondering before I get the OME setup
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Hope it works let us know.
Swing by and post some pics & info Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures ( 1 2)