Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2012 Off-Road upgrade?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2012 Off-Road upgrade?

The current OR 3-leaf rear springs are a joke, and while the truck does ok stock, I'd like a smoother ride off pavement. After pouring over several threads, I think this set up will work for me. It's my daily driver, so it needs to ride comfortably on the road. I may carry around 500 lbs of cargo and tongue weight (pop-up camper) on trips. No serious rock crawling, no jumping; I want to be able to drive rough mountain & desert mining trails.

This is basically the suspension Miles used for his 2005 build. I'll likely order from DSM and work with Sonny to figure out valving and coils, and anything else they recommend. I'd like to stay around a USD$2500 budget. Suggestions are welcome.

Front
Fox Racing Toyota Tacoma 2005 - Current Extended Travel Factory Series Kit, Fox Part# 880-02-418-A

Light Racing Upper Control Arms

Wheeler's Off-Road SuperBumps - installed

Extended brake hoses

Rear
Fox Racing Toyota FJ Cruiser 2009-2007 Rear Shock, Fox Part# 980-02-417-A

OME CS047 2.75" lift Dakar Leaf Spring Set

Timbren SES - installed

Extended brake hoses - 2 for the OR rear, iirc
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
Not bad you can also look into all pro leaf pack.
The All-Pro Expedition springs look like a good choice, too. Thanks.

I better put longer brake hoses on the list, too.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure on all the part numbers and all, but overall this looks like a pretty good setup. Downsouth Motorsports also makes UCA's for a pretty good price I believe.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
Not sure on all the part numbers and all, but overall this looks like a pretty good setup. Downsouth Motorsports also makes UCA's for a pretty good price I believe.
I'll see what DSM says. I want a ball joint UCA, and I like that the LRs are adjustable. Not bad for $375. Are there any other adjustable UCAs available?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Hey doording, I'd look at DSMs build your own mid travel package, you can get everything you have there and then give Sonny a call and he will give you a great deal. I called yesterday for my setup and he beat the cheapest price I could find by almost $200
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'll see what DSM says. I want a ball joint UCA, and I like that the LRs are adjustable. Not bad for $375. Are there any other adjustable UCAs available?
Camburg, DSM, ICON, only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Just saw a feeler for some used UCA's somebody wanted to sell on here I think...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Well, let's play chess.

Thanks guys. Since I've read that the rear FJ shocks work better with the valving tweaked for the Tacoma, I'll be going through DSM for sure. I haven't read a bad word about them yet, and they seem to have the expertise to put together the right package for me. My only complaint is that the way their website is set up makes it difficult to build a package by part number.

On rear springs, is there much of a difference between the Dakar and All-Pro Expos? I think the Dakars offer a little less lift, which is fine with me. DSM carries them, so unless there's a significant advantage with the All-Pro Expos, I'll probably go OME.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks guys. Since I've read that the rear FJ shocks work better with the valving tweaked for the Tacoma, I'll be going through DSM for sure. I haven't read a bad word about them yet, and they seem to have the expertise to put together the right package for me. My only complaint is that the way their website is set up makes it difficult to build a package by part number.

On rear springs, is there much of a difference between the Dakar and All-Pro Expos? I think the Dakars offer a little less lift, which is fine with me. DSM carries them, so unless there's a significant advantage with the All-Pro Expos, I'll probably go OME.
Some people have problems with the Dakars going flat under a lot of weight. Not all bit some. And the expos offer a little more lift. So if you don't want a cap and don't plan on adding a ton of weight to the back then Dakars should be fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I carry 450 lbs at all times , my Dakars settled just under 1" from when I installed them 2 years ago with that amount of weight , they rebound back to their original height when I remove my tools ( about 250lbs ) of that weight
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
excuse my ignorance but why fj shocks on the rear of the tacoma??? not to thread jack jsut have never heard of this til now.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Unloaded, the expos are going to sit an inch taller, so you will be sitting ass high. Some members here who maybe didn't know ended up not liking that. If you're not constantly towing or hauling 400-500 lbs.. The standards would be more what you're looking for.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'd skip the LR and go with total chaos uca . Skip the timbrens and go superbump . Also I'd go all pro expedition leaf pack for the pop up camper .
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Unloaded, the expos are going to sit an inch taller, so you will be sitting ass high. Some members here who maybe didn't know ended up not liking that. If you're not constantly towing or hauling 400-500 lbs.. The standards would be more what you're looking for.
or Dakars
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
or Dakars
True. That's what I'd go with.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Well, let's play chess.

Thanks to all for the advice.

TacoFMS, the FJ model shocks offer more travel than the standard Tacoma model. All it takes is a little bit of work to modify the bushing, and valve adjustment for a better ride. HBMurphy and Milowilli are happy with the results. If DSM recommends against using them, I'll go with something else.

Jasmine, thanks for the advice. Since the majority of the time I won't have a loaded bed or be towing, I'd prefer the lift height of the standard All Pros, which seem similar enough to the Dakars that it's a wash. My camper only has a 200 lb tongue weight, I have aluminum skids, and my Softopper only weighs 30 lbs. Like I said, I've kept an eye on weight. Since DSM only carries Dakars and they're good enough for Canadians, I'll go with them.

Gelo760, I already have SuperBumps front, Timbrens rear. I decided on Timbrens for the rear for more support in case whatever springs were installed needed the help; the OR leafs sure do. If I decide they're a problem, I'll put the Timbrens on my camper and buy SBs for the truck's rear. I don't believe TC makes a ball joint UCA, and I don't want a uni-ball.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like we are going for the same thing with the mid travel! How do you like your superbumps? This thread is definitely sub'd
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #19
Well, let's play chess.

I haven't had the SuperBumps on long enough to have much to say about them. On stock suspension, they just barely touch the frame, and I haven't felt any jarring from the front end. Since I know they're making contact, that's a good indication that they're providing a smooth response.