Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Awesome "Mid Travel Kit" -

Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome "Mid Travel Kit" -

Well I am on the waiting list for my Camburg kit at the moment and I have been tossing around the different options that are available for my whip. My thoughts are this- spend a small fortune and do my truck right with the Camburg LT kit, Deavers in the rear with a bypass and bumps at all corners. The problem I am coming to realize is this- If I have the truck built like this I am going to want to use it! The kid in me says "shut up and do it!" , while the adult in me is saying "Dont be an idiot! your going to ruin your 35,000.00 truck" I have been down this road before and built a street driven Pre-Runner and having the ability to go fast off road makes you do just that. Its all too familiar to me to get a few friends in the ride and want to show them what shes got! Next thing you know you think your Ivan Stewert racing the 1000. When the dust settles and you get back to realization you realize that your daily driver has just been beeten down with a wet stick and now makes all kinds of new noises! So that being said I think I might go with another solution. This "Mid Travel Kit" will absolutly do the job and for a fraction of the cost. What do you guys think...?

Fox 2.5" Remote Reservoir coi overs in front, Fox 2.0 Piggy Back Reservoirs with C/D adjusters in rear, Total Chaos UCA's, Deaver replacement progressive leafs, Donahoe Racing "Chubby's" bump stops at all corners.

This kit will provide a true 12" of wheel travel in front and 14" in the rear. Enough to get with it and keep up- You would be surprised at how good these Fox's work togeather with a bump stop. The bump stops are the key to the equasion - they will lead you through the deep whoops without bottoming out.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
That would be a kick ass setup. Would you still be happy driving Ivan's chase truck?? lol,
Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
type o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nice

type o negative's Tacoma Gallery
Downsouth.. Ive been looking at your Fox stuff... PM your best deal you can get me for Fox 2.5" Remote Reservoir coi overs in front, Fox 2.0 rear.

Thanks man!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
Great idea for a mid travel kit! I am currently debating on doin somethin really similar to this.
Do you think there is a way to but on sum fox or kind 2.0 bumpstops up front??
Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Basically the setup described above:

The LightRacing bumps are pretty much identical to the Icon Chubbys.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good setup thats cheaper than a true mid travel kit. Can you really get 12" of travel out of the front with only some Fox CO's and UCA's? The mid travel kits only give you 13-14" of travel and are much more extensive and require 'glass.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Sounds like a good setup thats cheaper than a true mid travel kit. Can you really get 12" of travel out of the front with only some Fox CO's and UCA's? The mid travel kits only give you 13-14" of travel and are much more extensive and require 'glass.
I think you meant the long travel kits give you 13-14" of travel.

And those travel numbers assume 2 wheel drive in most cases. Even with a long travel kit the CVs are a limiting factor to wheel travel.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I think you meant the long travel kits give you 13-14" of travel.

And those travel numbers assume 2 wheel drive in most cases. Even with a long travel kit the CVs are a limiting factor to wheel travel.
Ah, yeah. I guess I meant LT. I know the CV's are the practical limiter to the travel but can some simple CO's and UCA's really give that travel? I thought the travel on a stock Tacoma was only about 8", that seems like a big jump to 12" just for adding the CO's.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #10

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Ah, yeah. I guess I meant LT. I know the CV's are the practical limiter to the travel but can some simple CO's and UCA's really give that travel? I thought the travel on a stock Tacoma was only about 8", that seems like a big jump to 12" just for adding the CO's.
My thinking too. I know I'm not seeing those kinds of travel numbers.

At least, my suspension isn't making those numbers willingly.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My thinking too. I know I'm not seeing those kinds of travel numbers.

At least, my suspension isn't making those numbers willingly.
Just force it then... lol
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #12

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Just force it then... lol
You must not have seen my Barstow carnage pics. Broke an upper control arm in half, snapped 2 limiting straps, and turned my shock oil into a frothy mess.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I mangled the uniballs on both UCAs before the passenger side gave up the ghost. You can get those numbers out of a mid-travel. Just not for long.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You must not have seen my Barstow carnage pics. Broke an upper control arm in half, snapped 2 limiting straps, and turned my shock oil into a frothy mess.
lol.. naw I did...

it sure looked like fun though...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Fox 2.5" Coil overs that are made to be used with a replacement UCA have additional droop travel giving them increased wheel travel.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Downsouth Motorsport

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
I like those front LCA strikeplates better than the ones I'm running.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Fox 2.5" Coil overs that are made to be used with a replacement UCA have additional droop travel giving them increased wheel travel.
Didn't know that. Is it a different shock housing, internals, or a combination of both that give the additional droop?

Wondering if I could modify mine for additional travel when they're opened up for revalving.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Downsouth Motorsport

They can change the internal adjustments on both. Thats why these bumps are great- they have compression and rebound controll unlike others.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
- Heezey
WASTEDROMAD is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Joint Terminal Attack Controller - 1C471 - 10th ASOS
WASTEDROMAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I am on the waiting list for my Camburg kit at the moment and I have been tossing around the different options that are available for my whip. My thoughts are this- spend a small fortune and do my truck right with the Camburg LT kit, Deavers in the rear with a bypass and bumps at all corners. The problem I am coming to realize is this- If I have the truck built like this I am going to want to use it! The kid in me says "shut up and do it!" , while the adult in me is saying "Dont be an idiot! your going to ruin your 35,000.00 truck" I have been down this road before and built a street driven Pre-Runner and having the ability to go fast off road makes you do just that. Its all too familiar to me to get a few friends in the ride and want to show them what shes got! Next thing you know you think your Ivan Stewert racing the 1000. When the dust settles and you get back to realization you realize that your daily driver has just been beeten down with a wet stick and now makes all kinds of new noises! So that being said I think I might go with another solution. This "Mid Travel Kit" will absolutly do the job and for a fraction of the cost. What do you guys think...?

Fox 2.5" Remote Reservoir coi overs in front, Fox 2.0 Piggy Back Reservoirs with C/D adjusters in rear, Total Chaos UCA's, Deaver replacement progressive leafs, Donahoe Racing "Chubby's" bump stops at all corners.

This kit will provide a true 12" of wheel travel in front and 14" in the rear. Enough to get with it and keep up- You would be surprised at how good these Fox's work togeather with a bump stop. The bump stops are the key to the equasion - they will lead you through the deep whoops without bottoming out.
What would a set up like that compare to an overall height of say a 6" Pro Comp or Fabtech suspension lift? I am not exactly sure what everyone means by "mid travel kit!"
Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
To me a lift that high isnt made for major offroading, as far as mid travel its one stage below long travel, such as kits from camburg or total chaos.