Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspensions are too confusing - Need help

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
dreeves1110 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
dreeves1110's Tacoma Gallery
Suspensions are too confusing - Need help

I bought a 2012 double cab sport in September and i have probably learned more about mechanics and automobiles from this site than i thought was possible. However, the researching of suspensions through different threads only gets me more confused.

I live in southern california and do a round trip commute of about 60 miles a day, 99.7% of my driving is on Freeways, with the exception of a couple of trips to the mountains or the beach my truck doesnt get alot of offroad action. That being said it is hard to decide what kind of suspension would fit my needs. I would love to have something that sits 2.5-3inches

I cant fathom spending over a grand for something that I will be driving majorily on a freeway, at the same time, i dont think i want a spacer lift. I would like to be able to still do some back country/mountain trail climbing kind offroading at some point but i will never be jumping sand dunes or anything

This OME lift kit looks like it would be a good buy

View Full-Size Image

OME Suspension lift kit

Price per Unit (Kit): $734.99
Number Kits in packaging:1
Number Kits in box:1
Ask a question about this productOME-TAK
Complete Old Man Emu suspension for 2005 & UP Tacoma
Includes:
- (2) Front OME 90000 sport shocks (Replaces the OME N140S front shocks)
- (2) Front coils-
Choose from options:
884 coils for Standard and Access Cab models
885 coils for D-Cab and additional front weight
886 coils for 200+ lbs extra front weight from aftermarket bumper and winch
Add top plate spacers in drop down below for a full 3" front lift with 884 and 885 coils
Rear options- Choose in drop down below
- ToyTec standard 2" add-a-leafs. Comes with (2) new center bolts
- ToyTec TSB 1.5" add-a-leafs for use with 4 leaf rear springs. Comes with (2) new center bolts
- 1 1/2" blocks
- Complete OME Dakar rear springs with bushings
NOTE:Complete OME springs include bushings and U bolts and are priced with additional spring shipping included to the 48 states, Alaska and Hawaii will have additional shipping due, we will contact you with the amount due.
- (2) Rear 60091 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (Replaces N182 shocks)
- (1) Front diff drop kit for 4x4 models
- (1) OME trim packer to be installed on the driver side to help level your Tacoma side to side.

View Full-Size Image

OME Suspension lift kit

Price per Unit (Kit): $734.99
Number Kits in packaging:1
Number Kits in box:1
Ask a question about this productOME-TAK
Complete Old Man Emu suspension for 2005 & UP Tacoma
Includes:
- (2) Front coils-
Choose from options:
Add top plate spacers in drop down below for a full 3" front lift with 884 and 885 coils
- ToyTec TSB 1.5" add-a-leafs for use with 4 leaf rear springs. Comes with (2) new center bolts
- 1 1/2" blocks
NOTE:Complete OME springs include bushings and U bolts and are priced with additional spring shipping included to the 48 states, Alaska and Hawaii will have additional shipping due, we will contact you with the amount due.
- (1) OME trim packer to be installed on the driver side to help level your Tacoma side to side.

Includes:
- (2) Front coils-
Choose from options:
- 1 1/2" blocks

QUESTIONS:

1. )Is this more than I need and would i be wasting money on it by mainly driving on paved roads?

2.) Am i going to need UCAs in addtion to this kit?

3.) This kit does not include extended brake lines, will i need them?

4.) I read somewhere that you need a hood strut if you are going to lift your truck, is this true and would I need one with this kit?

5.) how much would labor on something like this cost to have installed?

6.) Are there better options for my situation?

I appreciate any help guys

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
OME is great. Good value and a quality product. Im curiuos to know where you heard about the hood strut...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Go 5100s it's cheaper and will get you your desired lift amount
Ucas for anything around 3" you can use LR an save some money
Good struts are only necessary if you are short
And maybe $2-300 to install, might be able to get help from others tho.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
1. )Is this more than I need and would i be wasting money on it by mainly driving on paved roads?

Any kit is more than you need for only driving paved roads. That being said, the OME kit is a great kit for the money.

2.) Am i going to need UCAs in addtion to this kit?

It'd be prudent to plan on getting new UCAs if you want a 2.5-3" lift.

3.) This kit does not include extended brake lines, will i need them?

No.

4.) I read somewhere that you need a hood strut if you are going to lift your truck, is this true and would I need one with this kit?

Where ever you read that, don't read anything else from that location. Hood struts are not related to suspension in any way, shape or form.

5.) how much would labor on something like this cost to have installed?

Varies greatly by location. I'd save money and install it yourself. You might even be able to find a local member willing to help for the cost of pizza and beer.

6.) Are there better options for my situation?

Bilstein 5100's and stock coils would be a good, cost effective lift for the front.

5100's and Eibach coils is another option and would be comparable to the OME kit but the coils are stiffer.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^what pugga said for everything OME check out this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-pictures.html
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I am an OME fan and not so much a fan of the Billsteins. That being said for your purposes, Bilstein 5100,s with the stock coils and an add a leaf in the back is a great option. It will save you a pretty good chunk of change as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

good option for about $400 less
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
$400 less if he was looking at a new OME leaf pack. The kit he has listed has AAL and is $85 more
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Your link is the $650 link, between that and OME for $85 more I'd go OME. Besides, who's to say when he does lift that he'd stay on pavement?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #12

Both options are very good choices. Like jdmcq pointed out just 5100s with stock coils may be a good choice since OP doesnt do much offroading
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Your link is the $650 link, between that and OME for $85 more I'd go OME. Besides, who's to say when he does lift that he'd stay on pavement?
I missed the AAL... anyways.. he did.. in the OP..
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Either way OP you will have a decent suspension. You can save some money with the 5100s and have an adjustable lift, or you can get the OME kit and be at 3". Either way its a good kit just up to your preference
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
OME up front and 3 leaf progressive AAL in back.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
OME up front and 3 leaf progressive AAL in back.
Good call
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Good call
Assuming that the OP doesn't want to tow or haul though. Didn't see a mention of it, but I might have missed it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
Assuming that the OP doesn't want to tow or haul though. Didn't see a mention of it, but I might have missed it.
The 3 leaf progressive AALs still do well if you want to tow or haul, just leave the overload leaf in place and Wheeler's now offers an HD version.