Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Banging Noise W/ 885X Coils

Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
SNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
SNJTacoma11's Tacoma Gallery
Banging Noise W/ 885X Coils

Hello
I just had installed a set of OME 885X coils with billies on my 2011 Tacoma Double cab. But im getting now a nasty banging noise from what appears to be comming from the drivers side area. What could this be? Everythings tight. Any help would be great. Did search and not sure if swaybar or alignment bolts?
Thanks
Chris
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Details Details......

Does it happen when you turn?

Does it happen when go over a bump or does it just happen?

If it is when you turn and wheel is full cranked its the sway bar. Did you install sway bar relocation bracket?

What setting do you have the 5100s at?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Weird another one. You aren't the only person who has this problem. Start on page 7 here
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ictures-7.html
This thread talks about it also
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...led-wrong.html

Make sure that the swaybar is not hitting the coil or spring perch, if it is toytec makes a sway bar relocation bracket. Also double check everything, makes sure all the bolts are tight and that your coil is seated properly on the top plate. If everything checks out then i don't know what to tell you, other people have had this problem and as far as i know no one has figured it out yet. Can you elaborate on when the noise happens?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
SNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
ok it only makes the noise when going over a bump. Going down straight road no problem. Hit a bump big bang....Or when turning a left drivers side......bang...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Try samsung's method to determine if it is the sway bar hitting. Put a piece of tape on the sway bar where it would rub, after it makes the noise a few times look at the tape for any evidence of the sway bar hitting something
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
Law Enforcement:
so far from all im reading it seems swaybar....ill do that though. Going to shop today to have it looked at
Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
WiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud of

Army: 12B Comabt Enginneer, OEF 11-12
Name: James
WiR3D's Tacoma Gallery
Are you using stock UCAs or do you have aftermarket? I notice when I had my stock UCAs that somehow the spindles were hitting my springs.. I don't know how the hell it happened.. I think it was only during turns but wasn't right at all! When I had my stock UCAs I did notice that my 885s up front banged rather loud over bumps and speed bumps once I changed over my UCAs to the LR UCAs that went away for a smooth ride..
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Law Enforcement:
im still using stock ucas but should that really be an issue? Wouldnt it be more likely swaybar
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Law Enforcement:
or coil inserted wrong?.... anyone have pic
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had a crunching noise coming from my driver's side , turned out to be a rock stuck on the coil seat
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJTacoma11 View Post
or coil inserted wrong?.... anyone have pic

I installed the lift a week ago and immediately had to order new UCAs...not because of alignment issues, but because the UCA hits the coil on droop. New UCAs fixed it all and even on complete droop with front lifted on a jack, no rubbing and plenty of space.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
METAL!
EmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
EmoSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
I had 885s and ome shocks with lr uca's on a 2009 dc sport, with same loud banging, turned out the upper control arm on drivers side was loose! tightened it up and walah, no problem
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Law Enforcement:
Well found my problem.....Guy who installed coils never reinstalled bushing that goes back on top of coil set. Probably saying it wrong but.....On both sides. Found them in the box. Saw on top of the struts huge space with no spacer underneath it....i was like WTF.....Got them on....Tightened down....No banging ......No noise. Will get swaybar relocate though as its really close but not hitting. Rides awesome now....what a difference.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #15

Wow....I'm glad i installed my lift myself. I imagine that could have been bad i you didn't catch it.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Law Enforcement:
yea....When i went into the shop there was like a half inch gap on both sides and botg tops of the struts were just moving up and down cause no bushing on top. I was pissed. Atleast its fixed though....All good no damage to truck....rides perfect....now to alignment. Yea last time i tried workibg on my lift myself truck collapsed on top of me.....spent 3 weeks in hospital....3ribs one side broken...2 other side one actually came out of chest wall...broken clavical....2 fractured vertabrae...wife said no more....knocked me out cold... lol. After this im done.....ill stick to my Shelby...lol
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear you got it figured out man.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
WiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud ofWiR3D has much to be proud of

Army: 12B Comabt Enginneer, OEF 11-12
Name: James
WiR3D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well found my problem.....Guy who installed coils never reinstalled bushing that goes back on top of coil set. Probably saying it wrong but.....On both sides. Found them in the box. Saw on top of the struts huge space with no spacer underneath it....i was like WTF.....Got them on....Tightened down....No banging ......No noise. Will get swaybar relocate though as its really close but not hitting. Rides awesome now....what a difference.
Good find man! I do recommend getting some new UCAs for your lift! just to keep things from hitting your springs..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
yea....When i went into the shop there was like a half inch gap on both sides and botg tops of the struts were just moving up and down cause no bushing on top. I was pissed. Atleast its fixed though....All good no damage to truck....rides perfect....now to alignment. Yea last time i tried workibg on my lift myself truck collapsed on top of me.....spent 3 weeks in hospital....3ribs one side broken...2 other side one actually came out of chest wall...broken clavical....2 fractured vertabrae...wife said no more....knocked me out cold... lol. After this im done.....ill stick to my Shelby...lol
Holy shit...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
are you talking about that black flat rubber looking piece?