Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

6" lift kit for 15'' wheels

Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
J Mac is on a distinguished road

J Mac's Tacoma Gallery
6" lift kit for 15'' wheels

After searching this forum and much of the internet I cannot find a 6" suspension lift kit that will fit 35x12.5x15's. After talking to a number of offroad equipment sites and lift kit manufacturers, for the most part, all I can find are 6" kits that will fit 17in wheels or larger. Does anyone know of a kit that will fit my wheels?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can't fit 15" wheels on the 2nd Gen 6 lug trucks, period.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Your wheel size really has nothing to do with your lift.

I believe that you need at least 16" wheel to clear the brake calipers on a 2nd gen Tacoma. Anyone?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
^^
they're right... you cant fit 15" wheels on 2nd gens

and also, like they said, wheel size has nothing to do with lift height really

you can put a 235/75r16 tire on a 3' lift, technically....
when people talk about stuff "fitting" on lifts, theyre usually talking about the largest tire size they can fit without running into rubbing problems
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

J Mac's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I left out some info. I grinded down my calipers and added 1.75" spacers so I already have the 15inch wheels installed and have been running them for about a year. The lift has to do with the wheels because the knuckle that comes with these kits that I've been looking at wont fit in the 15in wheels. So i guess I'm looking for a 6" kit with either a smaller knuckle connection or some other option I can't think of.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Oooh boy... so you took a grinder to your stock calipers, removed some material to clear wheels that shouldn't have fit to begin with, and now you want to task those same weakened calipers with bringing a 35" tire to a stop... I don't know which part of that sounds like a good idea to you but I sure as hell wouldn't drive the truck like that.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

J Mac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't know which part of that sounds like a good idea to you but I sure as hell wouldn't drive the truck like that.
I'm not asking you to drive my truck. I've already been riding on these wheels and tires and already have a 6" suspension lift - all I want to do is replace the current lift with one quality kit. I'm not asking for opinions regarding my project I'm simply asking about a specific kit and if anyone knows where I can find one. All relevant responses are appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm not asking you to drive my truck. I've already been riding on these wheels and tires and already have a 6" suspension lift - all I want to do is replace the current lift with one quality kit. I'm not asking for opinions regarding my project I'm simply asking about a specific kit and if anyone knows where I can find one. All relevant responses are appreciated, thanks.
You're right, I don't have to drive your truck, I just have to share the road with people like you who undermine safety equipment... Wasn't sure if you were aware of the mistake you made so I was bringing it to your attention for both your and my own safety.

Opinions aside, you have a 6" lift kit that works with your wheels, what don't you like about it? What are you trying to upgrade? Several manufacturers make suspension components that work with a base 6" drop bracket lift so you might not have to scrap the whole thing.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
What does your suspension consist of right now ?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Got any pics of your set up ?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #12

J Mac's Tacoma Gallery
Current lift consists of blocks, spacers, and aftermarket springs and shocks - some from a previous owner, some from myself. Tired of the cheap setup and rigid ride.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Current lift consists of blocks, spacers, and aftermarket springs and shocks - some from a previous owner, some from myself. Tired of the cheap setup and rigid ride.
If you already have the drop bracket installed, the spindles, etc, check out something like Icon shocks. They make shocks and coils specifically for 6" drop bracket lifts and it will ride like a dream. For the rear, your best option would be a replacement leaf pack.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
interesting . got any pics ? as for your original question. i couldn't find any 6" kits that specifically say you can run a 15" wheel . but if you have your heart set on running that combo . im sure there are ways around it with backspacing and offset . but im not the best person to ask
post some pictures of your front setup if you dont mind .
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
My Pro Comp lift (6") said it requires 18" wheels but I am running 16". The issue is on the new lifts, the tie rod ends will be running on top of the knuckle vs. under the knuckle on a stock truck. With this set up, the tie rod makes contact with the wheel lip unless you run a 18" wheel OR run at least a 1.25" spacer. I went the spacer route. Will the 15" wheel work? It should space wise since your spacer is even bigger than mine & you already modified your brakes.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #16

J Mac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
I went the spacer route. Will the 15" wheel work? It should space wise since your spacer is even bigger than mine & you already modified your brakes.
Well that's encouraging, at least if i do have to resort to bigger tires I know I can get away with 16s, it's just hard to tell without actually seeing where the knuckle will sit if my wheels are spaced out enough - the offset of the wheel should help too, but I also don't want to go farther with the spacers because my tires are already out so far. Posting pics is going to be hard, I'm not a smartphone user unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #17

J Mac's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to post an update in case any one else runs into a situation where they want to run 15" wheels with 35s on a 2nd gen Tacoma. All in all (and this has been a lengthy project) I ended up installing a 6" lift kit, shaving a couple centimeters off the calipers, adding 1.75" wheel spacers, trimming the wheel wells and I was able to fit 35x12.5x15s on my '08. I'm completely satisfied with the way it rides altho unless youre really in to the look of 15" wheels probably not worth all the labor. The only negative I've noticed is slight axle wrap, but for my needs (1 mile commute to work and occasional fun in the mud) I'm not too worried. Hope this was all helpful and sorry it took so long to post pics - somewhat of a ludite..
Attached Thumbnails
6" lift kit for 15'' wheels-knuckle-close.jpg   6" lift kit for 15'' wheels-cv-close.jpg   6" lift kit for 15'' wheels-tire-side.jpg   6" lift kit for 15'' wheels-75-view.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any pics of your shaved down calipers? I had thought about doing this once since R15 tires are so much cheaper. I was too worried about getting too deep into the caliper though...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Do you have any pics of your shaved down calipers? I had thought about doing this once since R15 tires are so much cheaper. I was too worried about getting too deep into the caliper though...
save the effort and go 16, no offence op
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
save the effort and go 16, no offence op
Well when I go to 37's if I want to stay with KM2's I will have to go to a 17" wheel so I probably will save the effort. Just curious though.