Notices

leveling my taco

Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
bobbybreach is on a distinguished road
Air Force: fire team leader
Name: bobby
bobbybreach's Tacoma Gallery
leveling my taco

so i have a 09 trd OR double cab and i want to level it out. well i wouldnt mind if there was still some rake, just a little. i have a rear TSB installed as well. from the hub to the fender the front in 20" and the rear is 23". so a total of a 3" difference. so i was wondering if i should get 5100s and set them at 1.75" and get the toytec 1/4" spacers but on the site it says they add 1/2" of lift (i dont understand that) so that would come out too 2.25" of front end lift with a difference of 3/4" from front to rear. my question is, is that an ok set up? i know spacers are bad and im trying to stay away from them and i read that i should not go to the 2.50" setting on the 5100s. any suggestions or does that sound good?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
JK2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
JK2010's Tacoma Gallery
Ill be installing my 5100's next weekend. From what i have heard setting them at 2.5'' is rough on the truck so i had also planed on setting them at 1.75''
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not gonna wheel, spacers aren't that big of an issue. And even if you are, 1/4" spacers shouldn't give you a problem. On the other hand, I've heard setting the 5100's on any setting other than 0 is a bad idea, but that may also be just among the people who wanna wheel hard.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
my wheeling is when i hit a pot hole on the highway going to work thats it. i just want i better stance.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to put 5100's on at 1.75 and just had the rear leaf tsb done. I have researched on here countless hours on this. This seems to be the best set up to get it level. Although some pics I have seen with this set up are nose high which I don't like. If mine comes out nose high I may consider a small block for the rear.

It's my understanding that you're not supposed to use spacers with 5100's but some do put the 1/4 on the drivers side to correct the "Taco lean". Mine has this also. Mine sits 1/4" lower on the drivers side so I'm considering doing this.

The spacer basically gives double the thickness in lift due to the angles of the control arms. At least that is how I understand it.

With that said, if I put the 1/4" spacer on the drivers side I would be 1/4" taller on the drivers side. Seems there needs to be a 1/8" spacer to correct the lean.

Look around the pics on here. Also take a jack and tape measure and lift the front to see where you like it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
some do put the 1/4 on the drivers side to correct the "Taco lean".
I've done this too. No problems so far, only logged maybe 500 miles since it was installed though.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
do you guys think that my 3" difference is alot? i have the rear TSB and the rake is 3". from what ive been reading i havent seen a stock ride hight with a rear TSB that has that much difference in a rake. ive read that with a TSB if you set the 5100s to 1.75" it should be just about perfectly level. but if i did that i would still have 1.25" rake and thats why im thinking i should add the 1/4 spacer in the front. the website says the 1/4" spacer adds 1/2" of lift and that would bring me to 2.25" of lift in the front. which leaves a 3/4" difference in rake which sounds perfect to me. does that sound right to anyone? do you think those number will be acurate when actually installed?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
RedYoter10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
RedYoter10's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like you are on the right track my friend. I would say that the TSB springs must have given it another 1/2" over the factory ones?? I think you will be just about level with the 5100's up front.

I'm running the 5100's at 1.75 and just the 5100 shocks in the rear, and mine is very close to level (little nose high), hense why I've been thinking about the TSB springs.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think it depends on what you call level. The fenders are not equal. To me I look at the bottom of the cab compared to the ground. I see people on here say they are perfectly level but I look at that and it looks nose high to me. Not bashing what they like, it's just not level imo and the way I want it to look. Everybody has different opinions and what they like, just have to figure out how you want yours. That's my opinion anyway.

On another note, why do the spacers? Why not go another 1/4" and set the 5100's at 2.5 and save $40? I know some have issues with the uca's at 2.5, idk if 1/4 will make that difference? Or if 2.5 is actually 2.5? From my readings on here it seems 1.75 actually gives 2". Just throwing my thoughts out there.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
ok i never heard that the 5100s at the 1.75" actually give you 2''. thanks for that. i kept reading that a lot of people that have the 2.50" setting say its a rough ride. my taco is a daily driver so i still want it to be smooth. i would rather pay the extra $40 so my taco stays smooth. i think im gonna do the 1.75" with the 1/2" spacer. worst case scenerio if its a little nose high i will do a 1.5" AAL or take out the spacers.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Will the TSB springs give a truck any additional height over stock ones?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
yes they will. when i bought my taco it was already done but from what i read the TSB will add about 1/2" to the rear end. thats gotta be why my rear end is a solid 3" higher than my front end
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2.5" OME 885 lift WITH 1/4" top spacers with brought my front to 23 7/16. Perhaps if you just went with the 885s without the top spacer you may bet it right at level. I have read that the 1/4" spacers provide 1/2 more of lift.

Just a thought
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I went the cheap route on my mall crawler and added Eibach springs to my stock billies about 1.6" of lift.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedYoter10 View Post
Will the TSB springs give a truck any additional height over stock ones?
Yes, I just had mine done. First time I measured it gave me about 1/2". Measured again the other day and it was 7/8" more than stock. I don't know if I read it wrong the first time or maybe it was because the edge of one of my rear tires was parked on a welcome mat that sits in front of my tool box. But anyway that falls right into what I understood, that it would give 1-1 1/2" and then settle to 1/2" or so.

Might even give you more since you have an AC.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #17

Nice! That solves it, I've needed them anyway to fix the way soft ride when haulin the 4 wheeler in the back. Plus, a 1" or so in the back would fix the little 'nose up' it has niow.

How do the 885's ride anyway? They look nice!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Eibach coils. I absolutely love the ride and the stance of my truck. And I just put a set of 33" tires and got to keep my mud flaps. No rubbing under normal driving conditions.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #19

ok, I'll check into those. Those tires look nasty on there!! what are the wheels nelztaco?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #20

Ok just got mine done. 1.75 and rear tsb and seems perfectly level to me. However I can tell the drivers side does sit the 1/4" lower, I think now I should have got the 1/4 spacer. May try to get one and install it later. I just didn't think it would be noticeable.