Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Overload replacement.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
SandDiesel is on a distinguished road
Marines: 25 years! Retired.
SandDiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Overload replacement.

Just got a 2000 PreRunner and sorting out the suspension. It has Doetsch coilovers and Camburg A-arms up front and just an additional overload leaf in the rear. It rides like it has zero suspension travel. We had the coilovers rebuilt and the correct coil spring installed to fix the front but overloads are the next issue. The spring is 3/4" thick but i don't know if it adds any additional lift. If the front is up 2" what's the best option to lift the rear and improve ride? Replace the whole leaf pack? Swap the overload for a 1", 1.5", or 2" block and keep stock springs? I posted a pick in the new member section btw. Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
New leaf pack
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Yeah, saw these OME ones online.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...e-cs046ra.html
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Wheelers/Alcans 5 leaf pack on Wheelers Off Road or OME Dakars or even All Pro Expos. All great replacement leaf packs.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Are these the stock leaf spring packs by the way?
Attached Thumbnails
Overload replacement.-20130126_150855.jpg   Overload replacement.-20130126_150906.jpg   Overload replacement.-20130126_150940.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/s...ion-Pack-.html
Old 01-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
OP you might be good with wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL.. Your leafs now (look stock) still have some what of an arch left... the 3 leaf would help them out.. if not go with wheelers 5 leaf.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any sort of budget or is it open?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
battlescars, budget is open. Got some ideas?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
I am running a deaver 8 pack, J59 and LOVE it.

It added maybe 1.5 inches of lift and paired with my 10 inch fox rears I cant complain.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well if you're looking to save some money you can always go with a lift block. It will put that rear end higher but the leaf pack will still feel soft and wear out.

Another option that could save a couple bucks is to go with an add-a-leaf (AAL) which will slow the rate at which the leafs begin to sag.

Then when you want to spend some money you can buy heavier duty leaf spring packs, such as said J59 from Deaver or a custom pack from Deaver or National.

Now you can also run the stock leafs that you have now and add a better shock set up which won't really give you a good amount of lift (higher nitrogen pressure) but will help stiffen the rear up or soften it. At the same time the better shocks can be added throughout any of the other leaf setups, but make sure you do your research and get the right length to prevent the shocks from breaking.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Looking to make the rear suspension more progressive with a slight lift is where I'm headed I guess. Right now the rear just hops over road imperfections and speed bumps. There is almost no give. We will occasionally have a dirt bike in back but nothing much heavier than that. The front end had the wrong coil springs and preload was maxed out so the ride was horrible. With the coilovers rebuilt and set at 2 inches of lift the front end is much smoother except the 32 BFG's rub now! Just trying to match the ride at rear. Probably going to be hard in a light truck and no weight in the back. It sounds like new leaf packs and maybe Bilstein 5100's might get it there.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
battlescars, just noticed your in Poway. I'm your neighbor in Ramona. We lived in Poway for two years a little while back.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Professionull

I forgot to mention you can also go with lift shackles and they may be a better option for you paired with a better shock.

Yep, right down the hill from Ramona Lake actually.. You don't happen to own a house near the lake do ya?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
I will save for a progressive leaf pack and better shocks to do it right. Think it has stock height Pro Comp shocks and I have been happy with Bilstein's on all my past and present rides. I jacked the front up a tad with a floorjack and will need just a 1" spacer on the coilovers to clear the 32's at full steering lock.

battlescars, No not by the lake, out back in the "Mistakes" as some refer to this neighborhood. We like it tho.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Any opinions on All Pro? This leaf set is reasonable and comes with the 5100's.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...suspensionkits
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Professionull

Yep, All Pro is a good company, I think they are even a site sponsor on TW so you can try to get a discount through them from here.