Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

All pro 5" rear springs installed won't level out

Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
All pro 5" rear springs installed won't level out

I'm stuck on my rear end. I can't figure out why it's not sitting level. If it was just a little it wouldn't be a problem but it's about 1.5 to 1 3/4 inches lower on the ds than the pass side. Tried swapping the springs still low on ds. Measured perches they are within 1.5 degrees of each other. You can push down or pull up on the ds and it will move 4-6 inches. It seems like it kinda sticks in place but I can't find anything that is binding. I'm stumped...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
First of all, what year tacoma?

Could be rear shock, taco lean, or a bent frame.

(Measure from the ground to the frame on both sides.)
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
where are you measuring?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Measuring from axle tube to frame. It's an 01 dbl cab prorock 60's front and rear, three link front with 12" Walker Evans co's, 5" all pro rear springs with 6 or 7 inch shackles. I put 3/4 inch more preload on the front ds co to help offset the lean but it was only marginally helpful.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

Frame appears straight. It measures the same amount out as the axle tube to frame numbers. It sat level before I changed rear springs and axle.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

C'mon people I'm out of ideas. Anything that you think it might possibly be...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

Yeah shackles are the same.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #10

Yeah I thought that too but, the other side doesn't move that much even with me in the bed. I need to swap the springs again just to make sure but I'm fed up with that pos truck.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't read if you put the new packs side by side & measured...

You mentioned pulling up & sticking on driverside, is the same result doing it to the pass. side ?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #12

Measured springs on the floor within 1/8 inch at the pin. No pass side react as you would expect it to.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmccray View Post
Frame appears straight. It measures the same amount out as the axle tube to frame numbers. It sat level before I changed rear springs and axle.

Pretty sure your answers in here , just gotta trace & re trace your work dude, I do this alot (R&R springs) & altho' I can do it in my sleep once in awhile I'll get bit overlooking something....

Ok, dumb question time... What kind of surface are you working on ?? (I know you measured from tube to ground/frame) but hear me out, I've got what for all purposes appears to be level (slab) but it isn't & when I've got a truck sitting there, the pass. side always "appears" to be about 2" lower than dr. side, pull it out & park it just about anywhere else & all looks level, so i dunno something to consider....

Also you said something about changing the axle ?? If you can get a straight edge on it see how much out of horizontal it is (all axles are a little un parallel )
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

This is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
All pro 5" rear springs installed won't level out-2013-01-11_19-49-30_497.jpg   All pro 5" rear springs installed won't level out-2013-01-11_19-49-56_770.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
SandDiesel is on a distinguished road
Marines: 25 years! Retired.
SandDiesel's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 2000 PreRunner two weeks ago and it sits the same as yours. Doetsch coilovers set at two inches up front and I believe just stock rear. I figured shocks or flattened leaf but haven't measured them yet.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #16

I dunno I have measured, pushed, loosened, greased, pried, removed, reinstalled and everything I can think to do on it. I'm just going to ignore it till I get the death wobble thing fixed.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Does your shock extend fully?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmccray View Post
This is what it looks like.
Whats going on with the rear shocks ?? (relocation) if I'm seeing right (zoom in), the driverside is a little compressed & the pass. side looks almost maxed out....you did measure between the top of bump stop on axle to bottom of contact point on frame already ? or ?. If you get diff. results , new or not & even if you measured them side by side & they're within an 1/8" it could be a weak spring or 2 in the "low" side of the install & it wasn't until there was load putting springs under a little stress (installing them) that they reared their ugly heads... It almost looks like the beds twisted...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bad lean on the passenger side similar to yours but when i replaced both leaf packs it fixed it, and since you have switched both packs on either side it cant be a bent pack like mine was, could it be something to do with the left front causing the rear to sag?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #20

The rear is leaning compressing that shock and extending the other. I have to get longer shocks, they won't let my springs droop all the way. Yeah I measured axle to frame and ground to frame and axle to ground. The springs have been swapped side to side and the ds stayed low.