Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift for a 2013

Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Lift for a 2013

I have a 2013 4x4 DCSB TRD Sport. I would like to achieve a mild lift (1.75 - 2") and improve the handling.
- 95% on road, some back country and off road
- I tow a boat and am looking at a pop up camper
Definitely do not want to degrade the handling and if possible improve it. Would also like to add that i am a complete nub relative to suspension.

Recommendations please.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
5100's and call it a day.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
5100's and call it a day.
X2 easy+cheap.

OP if your looking for a full suspension replacement with a little lift check out the ironman lift

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...x4-2-lift.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...nman-lift.html

Also check out toyteclifts.com and look into the toytec ultimate lift kit or Old Man Emu lifts
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Denk is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
Denk's Tacoma Gallery
Yer gonna find a lot of back and forth on this topic. I think there's a general consensus that either full OME or 5100s will be the best bet. When it comes down to it, check yer usage and budget. She search will reveal a ton of info. Personally, I'll be going with the OME lift and New LCAs.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I have a 2013 4x4 DCSB TRD Sport. I would like to achieve a mild lift (1.75 - 2") and improve the handling.
Most affordable lifts will make the suspension feel stiffer. If you are really going for performance you can get some high end coilovers (icon,king,fox)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. Just so I am clear, I could replace the stock shocks with 5100's (front and rear) and this will give a slight increase in height and improve the handling?

I noticed on some other threads where some went with 5100's (I believe on the front only?) and a AAL on the rear. I believe the AAL is an added leaf to the rear springs. Is this a specific brand or a general term that several companies supply?

If it matters, my rear springs have 4 leafs.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

5100s preload the stock coils in front to lift the front end. They don't lift the rear. Add a leafs or AAL is exactly what you are thinking. There are a few brands, alot of people go with the toytec AAL but i have heard awesome reviews on the Icon 3 leaf progresive AAL. So you have 4 leafs, that means you have the TSB leafpack, keep that in mind when ordering an AAL if you go that route. Your truck already sits a little higher in the rear conpared to the stock non TSB leaf springs. Just to let you know bilstein 5100s with stock coils will make the front end stiffer. If you are concerned about ride quality some longer coils would help, toytec sells eibach coils for 1.6" of lift with the bilsteins set at 0. 883s by old man emu would probably yield about the same amount of lift and 884s would give you about 2-2.25" of lift up front.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Yer gonna find a lot of back and forth on this topic. I think there's a general consensus that either full OME or 5100s will be the best bet. When it comes down to it, check yer usage and budget. She search will reveal a ton of info. Personally, I'll be going with the OME lift and New LCAs.
i hope you put some pics up of the spruce. i was in between that color and MGM and settled with the latter. you don't see a lot of SM even in TW.

i'm probably going to go OME too. OP, if you spend some time reading up in here about types of suspensions you will likely find one that suits what you're looking for and is just over your budget...because there's a tendency for your Tacoma to get the most of your wallet.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Personally, I'll be going with the OME lift and New LCAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
i'm probably going to go OME too. OP, if you spend some time reading up in here about types of suspensions you will likely find one that suits what you're looking for and is just over your budget...because there's a tendency for your Tacoma to get the most of your wallet.
Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures(1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
pop up camper that you will tow? or a bed one? because if its a bed one, you will need diff springs.

I did Old Man Emu.. the dealer ordered it for me, and installed it.. so my warrenty will not be affected, .. might look onto that route.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
pop up camper that you will tow? or a bed one? because if its a bed one, you will need diff springs.

I did Old Man Emu.. the dealer ordered it for me, and installed it.. so my warrenty will not be affected, .. might look onto that route.
Will definitely go with a towable camper. My DCSB only has about 1100 lbs of payload capacity.

I am looking at the same OME build as yours. What lift did you end up achieving? Did you have any issue getting the dealer to give you a fair price on the OME parts? I would like to maintain my warranty as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Installing a lift kit wont void your warranty. If a part fails the dealership has to prove that the lift was the cause. Old man emu is good stuff for the price. I also have a full OME lift with dakar leaf springs. Your original post you said about 2" of lift so you might not want dakars. Maybe OME shocks, 884 coils and a 3 leaf progresive AAL, get the HD version if you tow alot of weight.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Ds2199 is on a distinguished road
Ds2199's Tacoma Gallery
OP - any update? Decisions? Pics??

I have a 2013 DCSB TRD Sport and am looking for a small lift as well (less than 3").

It sounds like the 5100s are relatively less expensive than other lift options and still ride well.

OME sounds good too, but more lift and more $$$ than I plan.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still debating the options. I agree OME looks good, but pricey. I do have a question about the rear. I have the 4 leaf pack and am not sure if I need (or if its possible) an AAL. I think if I raise the front, the rear will settle due to the weight transfer. I also need to find someone local to do the install at a reasonable price.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

If you have the 4 leaf tsb pack just lift the front. Get some bilstein 5100s and set them to 1.75" or for a nicer ride get eibac coils and leave the billys set at 0 for 1.6" of lift. It should make your truck sit level. You can always get a 1.5" AAL in the future if you want the back higher
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Ds2199 is on a distinguished road
Ds2199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I also need to find someone local to do the install at a reasonable price.
Yeah, that's my problem too. I am not the guy who's going to do the work. Happy to pay the right shop to do it, but it's difficult to find the "right shop". I'm sure anyone with mechanical skills COULD do it, but I want to go to a shop that works on 4x4s. Lots of folks on here are down on 4wheelparts, so I gotta figure out where to go.

Is there a list somewhere on TW that lists reccomended shops by region?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
5100s preload the stock coils in front to lift the front end. They don't lift the rear. Add a leafs or AAL is exactly what you are thinking. There are a few brands, alot of people go with the toytec AAL but i have heard awesome reviews on the Icon 3 leaf progresive AAL. So you have 4 leafs, that means you have the TSB leafpack, keep that in mind when ordering an AAL if you go that route. Your truck already sits a little higher in the rear conpared to the stock non TSB leaf springs. Just to let you know bilstein 5100s with stock coils will make the front end stiffer. If you are concerned about ride quality some longer coils would help, toytec sells eibach coils for 1.6" of lift with the bilsteins set at 0. 883s by old man emu would probably yield about the same amount of lift and 884s would give you about 2-2.25" of lift up front.
Sums it up, although eibach coils would give a stiffer ride as they are a pretty stiff coil. Not sure what would be more stiff, 5100s cranked up or preloaded eibachs.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds2199 View Post
Yeah, that's my problem too. I am not the guy who's going to do the work. Happy to pay the right shop to do it, but it's difficult to find the "right shop". I'm sure anyone with mechanical skills COULD do it, but I want to go to a shop that works on 4x4s. Lots of folks on here are down on 4wheelparts, so I gotta figure out where to go.

Is there a list somewhere on TW that lists reccomended shops by region?

Thanks!
Where are you located? Take a look in the regional threads, most likely there will be a B.S. thread for your general area, ask those guys. Maybe even offer pizza and beer and some knowledgable members will bring some tools and help you out. That is probably the best option.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Sums it up, although eibach coils would give a stiffer ride as they are a pretty stiff coil. Not sure what would be more stiff, 5100s cranked up or preloaded eibachs.
Ya i guess i wouldnt know either because i have never had pre-loaded bilsteins with stock springs, i have just heard people say their truck rides stiff after preloading stocks coils. Just for reference eibacs spring rate is 620 vs 590 for OME 883-885. And my 885s are noticable stiffer than stock suspension.