LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What coils for 5100's?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Senior Noob Member
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
What coils for 5100's?

Posted this in the first gen thread and didn't get anywhere. We'll try here.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to ditch the stock TRD progressive rate coils that on currently on my 5100's in the middle setting. I read a lot about the eibachs, but I'm thinking that might be more lift than I like. I've read mixed opinions on using OME coils in combination with the billies, any definite ideas? Or are the other options not commonly mentioned?

I like the current stance of my truck, it has about a stock rake with wheeler's 5 packs in the back and a topper. I have no additional weight on the front and don't seeing adding any in the near future. I do think I could get away with 2" of lift, but not the 3" of the eibachs. I could of course pair those with an AAL or something, but don't know if I'm wating to go that way right now, unless it would be way better....

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
subbed
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior Noob Member
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow, not even a " can't you use the search bar" response.

Figured someone would have an opinion... Help me out guys.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
Posted this in the first gen thread and didn't get anywhere. We'll try here.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to ditch the stock TRD progressive rate coils that on currently on my 5100's in the middle setting. I read a lot about the eibachs, but I'm thinking that might be more lift than I like. I've read mixed opinions on using OME coils in combination with the billies, any definite ideas? Or are the other options not commonly mentioned?

I like the current stance of my truck, it has about a stock rake with wheeler's 5 packs in the back and a topper. I have no additional weight on the front and don't seeing adding any in the near future. I do think I could get away with 2" of lift, but not the 3" of the eibachs. I could of course pair those with an AAL or something, but don't know if I'm wating to go that way right now, unless it would be way better....

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Wow, not even a " can't you use the search bar" response.

Figured someone would have an opinion... Help me out guys.
Can't you search using the search bar !!???

Ok thats out of the way !!!

I'm running 2nd gen. OME 883's on 1st gen Tundra billy 5100's, (pretty much the same as 5100's 1st gen tacomas) I DID get 3" of lift but thats what I wanted, plus I'm not running after market bumper, the Toytec/Eibach springs are heavier & def. give you 3" in front. The OME's might be a better way to go being a lighter ,softer coil.. For the rear click on the link in my sig for some "AAL" options...

or.... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html
Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Noob Member

Doug,

Thanks for the help. I figured I could entice someone with the search bar comment.

I already have wheeler's 5 packs in the rear, was merely suggesting a AAL if I was to go with the eibachs just to level it out.

So as far a coils, if the 883's gave you 3", the 881's or 882's might give me the 1-2" I want without preloading?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Doug,

Thanks for the help. I figured I could entice someone with the search bar comment.

I already have wheeler's 5 packs in the rear, was merely suggesting a AAL if I was to go with the eibachs just to level it out.

So as far a coils, if the 883's gave you 3", the 881's or 882's might give me the 1-2" I want without preloading?
Thats kinda what I'm thinking, I'm just not sure on the spring rate on coils

pretty sure the lower numbers on the OME's are a less heavy coil...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
This got me looking into front coils (already sold on OMD for the rear when the right time comes). 881s sound really good as they potentially make the ride better.

Somebody on TTORA posted an email he got from OME:
Quote:
here is something I copied from the Old Delphi Days.

Hello Matt,
In most cases problems with a vehicle leaning can be remedied by switching
the springs from side to side. As you may be aware all the vehicles in
Australia where the OME springs are developed are right hand drive, which
obvious has a different weight distribution. When fitting our springs to a
American left hand drive vehicle sometimes the springs need to be switched
around. If the truck leans the other way when the springs are swapped then
you may have a sagging spring. If this is the case, measuring the free
camber height (the distance from the ground to the axle mounting surface of
the spring with the spring upside down off the vehicle) will let us know for
sure.
As far as the front coils go, it is perfectly normal for the front to sit
lower than the rear. Our springs are designed to maintain a similar rake to
a factory truck. The OME881 springs are designed to get 1.75 inches of lift
over the stock springs with 110-220 pound of additional weight up front.
The OME881 is the heaviest spring we recommend for the front of a Tacoma.
Unfortunately there is alot of misunderstanding and outright misinformation
about the OME Tacoma springs, especially on the Internet. People are
claiming to get 2-3 inches of lift from our springs, without realizing that
our springs will sit tall when they are new and are designed to settle in to
their normal ride height of 1.75 inches. People have somehow gotten the
impression that they are "supposed" to get 2-3 inches of lift without
understanding that we only rate those springs at 1.75 inches of lift. OME
springs are designed for ride quality first and foremost and getting lift is
a secondary consideration. We absolutely do not recommend use of OME882
springs on a Tacoma. The only situation we have had satisfactory results
with the OME882 springs in on Double Cab Tacoma's with a bull bar and winch
installed. The OME882 spring is designed for the Toyota Prado, a bigger,
heavier version of the 4Runner only sold outside North America, and will
lift a stock Tacoma higher than recommended, in addition to possibly causing
other problems.
Old Man Emu has a two year, 24000 mile warranty on their products. If you
feel any of your springs are not to specification we will be happy give you
a Return Goods Authorization number to send them back to us for testing and
evaluation.
Best Regards,
Sounds like the other coils are not even recommended. And if you want to go higher with 881s, you have 5100s- easy day.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Senior Noob Member

881's ordered. Will start in the bottom position on my 5100's and will bump them up later if I feel the need.

I'll make sure to post before and after pictures with the OME coils in the lowest setting vs the stock TRD coils in the middle.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Senior Noob Member

Got the 881's installed the other day. Really liking them so far. Definetly a smoother ride. I did end up dropping the 5100's down to the lowest setting, and still got about another inch of lift. Just about 2" total. We'll have to see if they settle a little, my truck is just about level currently.

Take a look at the old coils, think they need replacement...

New coils installed:

New coils look a little better, take a look at the steeper control arm angle

I'll try to post some pics of the new stance tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!