Notices

New to this; Need help with a lift.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
JakeyWakey will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 121st SFS
Name: Jake
JakeyWakey's Tacoma Gallery
New to this; Need help with a lift.

I apologize as I know there are already many posts regarding what lifts are good and what not, but I know next to nothing about lift and I was hoping some of you guys and girls can help me build some confidence in making the right purchase.

I've got a 2012 DC TRD Sport Limited

I really, really like S7ICKlVlAN's lift, which I believe is Old Man Emu 885 coils with Bilstein 5100's in the front and rear with Toytecs 2" AAL in the rear. I was also going to purchase the top spacers for the 885's from Toytec to give it a full 3" lift.

Again, I'm pretty new to this whole thing and I'm tired of just browsing TW and drooling over everyones rides, and really the lift is the only mod that I'm completely in the dark about.

Also if anyone in Ohio knows of a great place to do the install, I'd like to know.

Thanks for all of your help, and sorry about the long post.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
That is a very common setup here and it is a good choice. There is a good chance you will need aftermarket upper control arms to correct you alignment after the lift. They add caster. Check out SPC light racing upper control arms (LR UCAs) the best price i know of is headstrong offroad, $375 shipped.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
That is a very common setup here and it is a good choice. There is a good chance you will need aftermarket upper control arms to correct you alignment after the lift. They add caster. Check out SPC light racing upper control arms (LR UCAs) the best price i know of is headstrong offroad, $375 shipped.
Thank you, I will probably purchase those now too. I budgeted myself for around $1,000 and I'm coming in well under that right now.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The install is pretty easy if your mechanically inclined. Even if you don't have the tools it might be worth investing in some and doing it yourself. If you do end up doing it yourself i would recomend having toytec pre assemble the shocks and springs for the extra $100.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The install is pretty easy if your mechanically inclined. Even if you don't have the tools it might be worth investing in some and doing it yourself. If you do end up doing it yourself i would recomend having toytec pre assemble the shocks and springs for the extra $100.
X2... Here are a couple of good install threads

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...nd-gen-16.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...es-pics-6.html
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Quote:
I was already planning on having them do that as well, Thanks for helping me out, I mean I kinda already knew what I wanted, just had no idea if it was the right stuff.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Are you ordering as a kit or are you piecing everything together?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Not to complicate your decision but a 3 leaf progressive AAL gives a smooth ride. Bought mine from wheelers offroad. They sell a heavy duty version now too.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #9

^good advice. Seems like everyone with that AAL loves it.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP, you tow or haul a lot?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Jonny Not really at the moment, I actually wouldn't haul or tow anything, unless it was helping a friend move or tailgating for concerts and sporting events.

Evan I'm kind of piecing everything together, seeing where I can get the most cost effective parts, Toytec, Wheelers, and Down South are the main three that I've been browsing around.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
MJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to all

Army:
MJM777's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

I ordered my full OME lift from downsouth, their customer service is awesome. The reason i asked if you are ordering a kit or piecing it together is because you will need to make sure you get all the smaller parts. Like longer u-bolts, Either shims or a carrier bearing drop to help eliminate driveshaft vibrations, im sure im missing some stuff maybe someone else can help out, longer studs for top plate? Longer centering pin for leaf springs? Not sure...i dont know as much about bilsteins and AALs. I went with all old man emu and dakar leaf pack.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #14

Heres my take on the 3 main vendors here.

Downsouth - awesome customer service and the best prices on certain kits (free shipping!) but they are more geared towards the high end suspension.

Toytec - a little more expensive, but they cater more towards the basic lifts like the ones we are talking about, they make it very easy to get everything you need in one place without having to know about every little detail and part in the kit

Wheelers - i dont know to much about wheelers besides they are very helpful if you have any questions, they also have some of the best prices (assemble shocks/springs for $50 vs $100 at toytec)

Then for ordering light racing UCAs im pretty sure headstrong offroad has the best price
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Evan The one reason I was going to purchase the shocks and coils from Toytec is the fact that they will pre install them together, but you're right about all the little extras.. I need to find a kit that has everything. You're a pretty big help man, Thank you
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #16

No problem