1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A different suspension question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by boatbuilder, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jan 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    I have read all the different threads about suspensions and continue to see guys selling one spring or shock for another because it didn’t do that they wanted it to do, yada, yada, yada. I have a few questions and am looking for some ideas and suggestions.

First off. I had a ’94 Toyota truck, which was the absolute best built vehicle I have ever owned and would still have it if my daughter didn’t roll it. I installed a Downey suspension system under the truck. It stiffened the ride probably 50% and raised the truck maybe 1 ½”. I loved the stiffer, more precise handling with the new suspension.

Here we go with the new truck. I have a ’12 standard cab, 4wd, 4 cylinder, manual transmission Tacoma. Love the truck, hate the ride. It has a Cadillac ride (which I hate), the front end (steering linkage I think) make a lot of noise and it wanders every so often. I have read many of the posts regarding suspensions and have a few comments and questions. It seems like a lot of guys are selling aftermarket suspension parts to buy something else. Why? No research prior to the buy? Poor explanation by the manufacturer? I don’t know.

Aftermarket parts: I am installing BAMF Rock Sliders. Not so much for the rock slider aspect but more the “your” door will get dented if you open it into my truck aspect. I am also adding a Relentless plate rear bumper with receiver hitch and a Relentless plate front bumper with a Summit 8k winch and both bumpers will be sprayed with Line-X.

My goals: I would like to raise the truck as little as possible. The max I would like to go would be 1 ½”. I would like to stiffen the suspension at least 50% and increase the load carrying capacity as well. So, here are some thoughts.

Rear suspension: I am looking at OME Dakar rear leafs and Sport shocks and then adding a set of Firestone Ride Rites for the extra carrying capacity when it is needed.

Front Suspension: Here’s where the confusion comes in. I am thinking about the OME 885’s with Sport shocks and then replacing the UCA’s to reduce the wandering in the front end. My understanding is that I will get about 2”+ of lift on this particular truck. Now here’s where it get’s weird. As the coils are under compression anyway why can’t I come around the springs until I have reduced the height of the spring 1” and cut them off? Wouldn’t that reduce the ride height? It would most probably stiffen the ride if anything, which would be ok by me.

So, thoughts? Remember the goal I am trying to get to. As little lift as possible, stiffer ride, added load carrying capacity. Thanks guys

2. Jan 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I wouldn't recommend cutting the coils and if you wana good ride out get some f
    5100 adjustable from stock to 2.5 inches of lift and i dont think youll be able to use the sport shocks in the rear with a 2.5 inch lift or if you had money go with some coilovers like king;fox;saw;icon for the front you can adjust them any way you want

3. Jan 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    Maybe I'm off base here but I have always thought that the purpose of the coils was to carry the weight, determines the lift of the truck and the harshness of the ride. The purpose of the shock absorber is to dampen the recoil from the coils? The shocks aren't to be used to raise or lower the ride height of the truck nor are they to assist in the load carrying capacity of the vehicle. That is the function of the coils and leaf springs.

4. Jan 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Don't cut the coils, get the coils that are the proper height for what you want. 883, 884 and 885 coils are all spun from the same coil, same spring rate, etc, they are just progressively 10mm taller as you go from 883 to 884 to 885.

Also, you aren't going to stiffen the ride by 50%. Get the percentages out of your head, you aren't going to raise the spring rate by 50% and like the ride and I don't think there is a coil stiff enough for the Tacoma.

You have a regular cab, 4 banger, the Dakars are going to give you a LOT of lift. I can't see needing the air bags on top of that for that small of a truck. Double cab v6 models are getting over 2.5" of lift from the Dakars. Same with the 885's. Double cab v6 models are getting in the neighborhood of 2.5" of lift, you will be over 3" with your 4 banger. Shoot 4wheelin4banger a message. He is running an OME lift on a 4 cylinder 4x4 access cab and can give you a better idea of how much lift you can expect to get.

Also, the Bilstein 5100 shock can be used to adjust ride height as can any shock with a threaded collar. It adjusts the ride by preloading the coil.

Products Discussed in

To Top