Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 info please help!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
East Bay Woodsman is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Volunteer
Name: B.J.
East Bay Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
Question Bilstein 5100 info please help!

Ok so I bought a readylift leveling kit for my 2008 trying to get an extra 2" for bigger tires before researching it. After reading about everyone on here talking about the bilstein 5100's I didn't even open the box and brought them back in a heartbeat a few days later and priced the 5100's. I usually get a decent price at my local auto parts store and the price they gave me was $179.00 each for front and $129.00 each for rear + tax in CDN $. So buddy at the counter talked me out of buying them and said I should go with Ranchos instead. The 5100's seem pricey. I have the credit from the readylift kit i returned and am waiting on my next move. Any suggestions folks? Please help! Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I hope when you say "each" you mean pair. Anyway, as a member here on TW you can buy the set of 4 for $299.00 from Downsouth Motorsports.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

You can buy by the pair also with the TW discounted price.

I can't speak for Rancho's, but I just put 5100's on Saturday and I must say I don't see going wrong with these. The ride is great! It's not really any rougher than stock, at least with my Sport coils set at 1.75. Has less body roll and nose dive. If you're looking to go 2.5 my understanding is it's kinda stiff.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about ranchos, but the 5100s are popular because you can adjust the lift from 0 to 2.5 inches or so.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
X666666 on craigs post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Replace coils with 5100's or no?

Thanks for your help. Buddy at my auto parts store must of made a mistake when he quoted me $179.00 each. They only sell in pairs so just a mix up.
Should I change out my coils from the stock ones?
Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I hope when you say "each" you mean pair. Anyway, as a member here on TW you can buy the set of 4 for $299.00 from Downsouth Motorsports.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

You can buy by the pair also with the TW discounted price.

I can't speak for Rancho's, but I just put 5100's on Saturday and I must say I don't see going wrong with these. The ride is great! It's not really any rougher than stock, at least with my Sport coils set at 1.75. Has less body roll and nose dive. If you're looking to go 2.5 my understanding is it's kinda stiff.
Hey dude, nice truck! Hope life is going well with new baby!
You running stock coils?
I'm def going with the billies all around and going to get an AAL for the rear lift.
The 1.75" setting should work perfect with the 1.5" AAL.
Just curious if I should upgrade to eibach coils...
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Yes I'm running the stock coils and the ride seems pretty close to stock. I have heard how the Eibach coils ride great but I'm not sure if they're necessary unless you're wanting to go higher? But from what I've read you can't really go wrong with them if you want to spend the extra money.

I have the rear tsb which gave me about 1/2 to 7/8" of lift in the rear. I've measured a couple of times and got inconsistent readings. But it does seem just a touch nose high at times and then looks perfectly level at times. I am planning to try to level out the side steps if it's possible since the are uneven and imo help make the rear appear lower.

My baby boy is my pride and joy, aside from the Taco. I am so blessed!